TripAdvisor
Serengeti National Park
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews bow and arrow king bed running water sitting area remote location before dinner hot shower three nights northern serengeti one night other guests tented camp lamp shampoo sink flushing bonfire
Selected filters
Reviewed September 21, 2018

We stayed 2 nights just a week ago. And has an amazing time. People are so nice, polite and helpful. Nothing is too much, always eager to please and make it so special for guests. Granted water is manually filled in shower tanks for each tent and water from shower comes out in thin dribbles. But this is what makes it so special being in the wild, conserving water and being one with nature. I do feel very sorry for the workers who have to carry buckets of water and fill tanks. Even at 5 in the morning it was not too much for them to make hot water available.
And food was super delicious. 3 course dinner in the middle of nowhere. Not to forget bonfire in the evening sitting out in the open watching sky full of stars.
All this was made special by all those who work at Tingitana!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Dilsach
Reviewed August 28, 2018

I stayed here two nights and so glad I did. I enjoy the place, my tent, the food and the staff. My room was spacious for a solo traveler. Hot water or water for that matter was generous. The staff were there ready to provide water for my bath. I love the colorful curtains inside the room. I love the cotton blanket and sheet on my bed. It added comfort to my sleep. I did hear some animal outside my tent (I wanted to investigate and use my lamp to see what type of animal, but I was too tired to get up). I just love the sounds of the animals around (sounds that I don't normally hear back home). The guy who guards the tent at night has a bow and arrow (his own protection). He was so nice to escort me early in the morning to the dining area tent to get breakfast (it was 5:30 am). At night, he would escort me back to my tent and zipped the outer zipper for me. They all wish me a good day for game drive. I will stay here again when I come back.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We stayed at the Tingitana camp for three nights during our recent safari with 4x4 Adventure Safaris to the northern Serengeti. The location of the camp is excellent and the wildebeest were literally walking past our tent as they were heading to the river. We could spot giraffe and zebras, as well as thousands of wildebeest right from our tent. The fireside atmosphere is nice and the camp serves nuts or popcorn here.

As this was our 7th safari and we have stayed in many camps I can honestly say service and food at this tented camp should be improved. First of all the first night I was seriously bitten by bugs. The next day I realized that our mosquito net had a huge hole in it. The net was changed after I asked it to be but this should have never happened. This camp refused to bring us a wake up tea or coffee to our tent in the morning. Instead we had to go to the main dining tent to get it. The camp (as noted my another recent review) does not have any coffee- only instant coffee with powdered milk. This is seriously sad in a coffee producing country- a French press is an easy way to make “real”coffee in the bush. We expected better food as this camp is owned by a French gentleman but the menus seemed to be taken from a 1960s British cook book- watery soup, meat and boiled veg, plus roly-poly cake for dessert. We did not go hungry but the menus were uninspiring. I wish we could have had Tanzanian food. Also it would be nice if the staff removed their shoes when they went into your rooms- they stomped in wearing muddy rubber boots.

Despite these hiccups, we did have a great time because we saw so much. During our 5 game drives we saw four large crossings as well as lions, a leopard and a cheetah. When it comes down to it; it does not really matter where you stay as everyone sees the same animals. Staying at any mobile tented camp is an amazing escape from pressures of the world. Choosing the right guide and safari company is the most important part of the safari. Our guide from 4x4 Adventure Safaris made our trip to the northern Serengeti special.

Room tip: choose a room away from the dining tent
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank istanbulhills
Marie B, Responsable commercial at Serengeti Tingitana Tented Camp, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2018

We thank you for your comments and we want you to know that we sent one of our senior staff to our camp in Mara to investigate this matter as soon as we saw your complaints.
There was indeed a shortage of ground coffee in the camp during your stay and we are deeply sorry for that. For the kitchen, we are disappointed by our team because we spend lot of time training our cooks during low season. I personally go to my camps regularly to make sure that everything is fine in order to meet our customers’ demands; obviously they were not inspired during your stay, and I can only apologize for that.
Nevertheless, despite these little inconveniences we hope you enjoyed your stay with us.
Gerard
Owner of the camp

Reviewed August 24, 2018

Previous reviews capture the essence and details of this small semi-permanent tented cabin camp. Clean, rustic, spare--wonderful experience for two nights with lion and zebra sounds at night, bonfires, etc.. Small suggested upgrades: Staff tries very hard; their warmth however wasn't matched by the blankets. And this was only camp without fresh coffee. I know it's in the middle of nowhere but other camps manage to provide fresh coffee. First world problem? Maybe. Note that it's about 30 minutes drive north of the Mara River, which is where for our two days most of the action was, with the crossings of the wildebeest. Next time, I'd look at whether similar camps are located closer to the River--maybe not. And the privacy of the camp is unparalleled, as long as the people in the nearby tents are respectful. As for food, dinners were adequate but not inspired, and neither varied nor plentiful compared with other camps. First nite -- roast beef. Second nite -- stir-fried left-over beef. Efficient but still . . . Nonetheless, still a memorable, positive experience, as long as you're not thinking you're paying for luxury. (With most tour companies, you actually don't know what you're paying for a particular camp, but that's another issue for another review or forum!)

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank bouchee

We have not been lucky with coffee during this period because we experienced a shortage in the camps at that time while we had coffee amateurs.
I am sorry about this inconvenience because we usually have ground coffee in all of our camps, this must’ve been a mistake made from our main supply in Arusha.
Despite this, we hope you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

We stayed in the Tingitana North site, it was in an incredible location looking out over the Serengeti. The first night we arrived there was a small herd of antelope and some zebra walking by in the distance, it was picture perfect. The tent was very spacious with a big comfortable bed, shower, flushing toilet, all the hotel amenities like shampoo, towels, etc. and super clean. They brought us hot water for our showers when we got back from a long, dusty day of safari which was amazing. The staff were all very friendly and we really enjoyed the bush fire every night as a chance to get to know fellow travellers and compare stories. Beautiful place to stay!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple