We stayed at Olduvai Camp in March 2011 for 3 nights. We were a little bit hesitate to stay here when we were planning the trip based on the older reviews, but decided to go for it as it came highly recommended from the company we booked with, African Travel Resource.
We would definitely recommend this camp to anyone who is looking for a unique experience and is comfortable with tented camps.
- very good food for dinner and breakfast...they had some awesome desserts too
- good tented accomodations, floor is concrete, bathroom is attached as part of the tent but is outside the zipped portion of tent....bathrooms are clean and well maintained.
- good hot shower
- opportunity to do safari/sunset walk with Maasi...this was very cool, and a really good chance to ask questions and chat (highly recommend)
- very friendly and helpful staff
- honestly, not much cons to speak of....one thing to note is that most of the staff of the place are Maasi people and as such, many do not speak english (or limited english), so we were really only able to chat with a few staff there about things.
- if you do the safari/sunset walk with the Maasi guide you'll need to tip them afterwards...probably like $5-10
- bring a flashlight
- bring US cash if you can - good for tips and settling bill at end of stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Olduvai Camp has only 17 tents, built around a big kopje. His location in the heart of the NCA is ideal for treks, especially along the Olduvai gorges. Every tent has a good comfort: big beds (doubles or twins) with quality bedding, pillows, covers etc...Necessary furniture, terrace with safari chairs, bathroom inside the structure (WC, hot shower with running water, small sink). The camp is eco-friendly, using solar panels (for lights, water heating etc.), Recycling garbage, water saving etc. Olduvai Camp is a must not to be missed if you like to experience an unforgettable overnight in the bush, between the famous Ngorongoro crater and the endless plains of Serengeti. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Olduvai Camp Hotel Serengeti National Park