Serengeti Sopa Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Ikoma Safari Camp(Serengeti National Park)(Great Value!)
$206
$195
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Serengeti Tented Camp - Ikoma Bush Camp(Serengeti National Park)(Great Value!)
$273
  • Breakfast included
Serengeti Acacia Camps(Serengeti National Park)(Great Value!)
$390
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Lobo Wildlife Lodge(Serengeti National Park)
Ikoma Wildcamp(Serengeti National Park)
  • Restaurant
Lemala Ewanjan Tented Camp(Serengeti National Park)
  • Restaurant
One Nature Nyaruswiga Serengeti(Serengeti National Park)
TripAdvisor
Siringit Serengeti Camp(Serengeti National Park)
Kisura Sirengeti Tented Camp(Serengeti National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsstaff choirhot watertwo double bedsrooms are largemorning and eveningvervet monkeyslunch boxgame drivesstayed here for nightstwo night staygift shopcommon areaslaundry serviceour waiterpicnic lunchsafari tourpacked lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The hotel has an upscale feeling to it on arrival. I was given a large room with a view of Serengeti. The dining hall itself also has a very nice view of Serengeti, where we ate and saw animals roaming around below us. The food was excellent as well and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The hotel has available wi-fi in the lobby area and with a pool. Shower is only from 6-9 am and pm from what I remember.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here on days 2/3/4 of our 6 night safari booked with Bobby's Tours in Arusha.

This place is more traditionally decorated than the Lake Manyara Lodge (it was not part of the Sopa chain) we stayed in on day 1. The view is pretty good. All internal rooms that we saw were nicely decorated and very spacious. The external areas were very good too.

Our room was downed (prepared for bedtime) nightly and it was a dream. The mosquito net surrounded both double beds and it was like a little camp. Really cosy! I must say the room attendants were spot on!

Food was brilliant when eating in the Restuarant but the breakfast box that they prepared were extremely poor in comparison to the restaurant. Don't get me wrong we're weren't expecting some kind of banquet in a cardboard box but the items supplied were loads of breads, a packet of crisps, a Mars bar and a few other items. They was plenty of it but it wasn't good. The lunch box however was very good. Just the right balance.

The staff we couldn't fault as all. They were all attentive and their attention to detail was brilliant. Our waiter (Mollel) knew my name as we sat down and was quick to get my girlfriend's name and addressed us from our first day there by them. We were impressed as he was serving a good few tables as well as ours. In short the staff and service here is arguably the best I've ever experienced.

The drinks are a little pricey to be honest (6500tsh for a 330ml beer bottle) but it's so remote you can understand why. We had bought water with us for the duration of our trip (1 week) but as we were here for 3 nights we could have bought some beers from the supermarket in Arusha with us to put in the room's fridge. That way you could have a beer on your balcony in an evening before you go for dinner.

Also there were two birthdays on the second night of our stay and all Restaurant staff came out singing with some members of the staff with drums. That was brilliant to see. After visiting the two birthday parties the sang off back to the kitchen and were clapped by us diners. Brilliant we thought. And left us all with huge smiles. A fabulous touch.

I started writing this before our final night's dinner and the above text regarding birthdays was wrong. It was a goodbye ceremony for guests that had been there a few days. We found this out on the last night as we were the target! We were totally stunned and surprised. The only regret was not joining in with the restaurant staff to have a little dance.

One negative was during our final meal though. The vegetable spring rolls had got mixed up with some chicken ones the night before (I'm a vegetarian). I didn't eat it as I opened it up as I like to see what I'm eating. It was changed for the other option and the waiter apologised but not a great way to round off a stunning few days at this resort.

The menu could do with having the "V" sign next to any 100% vegetarian dishes. I know that a good few dishes were likely not to be vegetarian in the dessert section and when questioning the waiter found this to be the case. Complete clarity would be a positive move.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Comfortable rooms with a view over a valley in the park. Food was what one would expect from a mass tourist hotel, however their packed lunches were exceptionally good and, as the Hotel is quite a distance from any of the game viewing areas, packed lunches will be the norm.
Game viewing from here made for long days and one appreciated the nice bar area upon return!
African show in the evening lost us when they started singing 'Guantanamera" but 'a' for effort!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. Loved it. The first glimpse of the lodge from the outside is not all that impressive but that all changes when you enter the lobby and are welcomed into a cool oasis. Staff bring out warm towels and glasses of cool juice. The décor is in keeping with the area. After our long hike to our room at the Ngorongoro Sopa, we had the best room in the house we think. Room #27 which is the first room off the lobby, second floor. The view out over the Serengeti was breathtaking. We sat out on our balcony soaking it all in. Make sure you lock your balcony doors as we had a monkey eyeing us waiting for us to go in and he was on the balcony in a flash once we did. The grounds were very nice with a pool (which we never got around to using) and tables looking down over the Serengeti. The restaurant had excellent food but the stars were the staff, in particular Baracka who was our waiter for all our meals. He went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. When my husband was not feeling well he had the kitchen make him a special infusion. He was so warm and personable, he really made a big impression on us. And then our last night we were presented with a cake with Kwaheri (goodbye) on it. We were so touched. Thank you Sopa!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Bearing in mind that this is a lodge in the middle of nowhere, it is excellent. Centrally located in the Serengeti. Well maintained and beautiful grounds. Nice rooms and good food. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo