“As good as everyone says”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa
NY- L.I.
“As good as everyone says”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

There are already so many wonderful reviews of this camp and the staff that I have little to add. The staff were so friendly, cheerful and helpful. the location is excellent. Our accommodations in the well appointed and luxurious tents were excellent. Coming back to a cold drink and washcloth at the end of every day was wonderful. And then having dinner and animated conversation at the long table with people from all over the world added much to our trip.

If I have one criticism, it's small and probably one that very few others would share. I'd hoped for more traditional Tanzanian food. The food served at all meals is geared to high quality hotel food served in the bush. It was all tasty and delicious but I personally wished there were more native selections. To give them credit though, when I asked they did go out of their way one night to serve some traditional Tanzanian dishes one night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AsiliaAfrica, Guest Relations Manager at Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and experience about Dunia Camp with us and future travellers. We really value the time and effort you took to share this with us. And we are very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us so much; from your Dunia accommodation, to our service level and team.

Thank you for your suggestion on providing more traditional Tanzanian food. We do organize a Swahili / BBQ night for our guests, usually on a Saturday, so it might be that you stayed with us on different days and therefore you may have missed it. However, we're happy to hear you did raise this with us during your stay so that our chef could try and accommodate your wishes and make you some nice traditional Tanzanian dishes.

Many thanks again, and we hope to welcome you back to Tanzania and Dunia in the future! Warm safari regards, Asilia Africa & the Dunia team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Clifton Heights, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My experience at Dunia Camp will stay with me for a lifetime. It was a true bush experience. Despite the very comfortable bed, I barely could sleep at night, as I was so mesmerized by the sound of lion and hyena throughout the night. We knew the animals were very close, one of the guides even pointed out "eyes in the flashlight" as we were escorted back to the tent. Yet, we always felt safe and secure. After a day of amazing game viewing, we looked forward to the fun and relaxing Sundowner. Then we were invited to the dining tent for our dinner. The food was nothing short of gourmet, wonderfully presented, and served to our beautiful, candle lit table. The tents were comfortable; large, great bed, big bathroom with flush toilet, separate enclosed porch area in the front. A coffee tray was brought to us each morning and we loved sitting in the enclosed porch area of our tent before breakfast . We could watch the sunrise right from our tent , enjoying great coffee, and listening to the sounds of the bush We found the 20 liter bucket showers provided plenty of water. In fact, my husband and I were each able to have an entirely satisfactory shower on one bucket. The water pressure in these is not the same as piped in water, but still, it worked out just fine. The tents are very clean, and bug free. Our concierge, Andrew, was wonderful. One thing everyone should know is that this camp does not accept any credit cards. I was bummed because they had great robes and they were available for purchase. I wanted to take one home for a keepsake, but I would have paid in cash. We were early in our safari and were afraid to use our money for such things so early on. I'm surprised that Asilia hasn't found a way to work this out. Is there any way the company can send one to me? Thank you to everyone at Dunia for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: I liked being in the last tent with just the bush to our left.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chjada
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Peter and his entire staff are expert at making you feel and as part of the family right from the start. Chef was so proud of his kitchen he led us on a tour of it which was great as were each and every meal he prepared. Our tent was spacious, comfortable and nicely appointed. We loved the bucket shower and how the staff were there at the ready upon our return to camp after exhilarating game drives with Patena who was as expert as they come having spotted the elusive black Rhino from great distance. Thank you everyone, especially you, Patena, for the incredible experience, your great care for us and for sharing your extraordinary story. This is a place we'd like to someday come back to. Best wishes - Jon & Vicki RPV, CA

Room Tip: There are only 8 and they're all gr8!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon D
Woodmere, New York, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After being on Safari for almost a week we arrived at Dunia Camp for a 2 night stay. The manager of this camp, Peter couldn't do enough for us. The tents were clean and the beds were wonderful. There was never a problem with the showers. If I didn't know better I would have not known that it was a bush shower. There was always enough water. The staff was just wonderful, always asking if there was something they could do for us or help us with. The chief catered to my granddaughters every wish and even surprised me with a birthday party. The food was excellent. From the very first minute we arrived to the last good bye, we were treated so special. We were sent off to our next camp with a wonderful box lunch. Every one in the camp came out to wish us well We will never forget this wonderful place filled with very special people.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Norma B
Miami, FL
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was our favorite camp on a 12 day trip. The primary reasons for this were:

1) Patena, the resident Masai guide, was incredible. If you have a chance to fly in and use Dunia's Open vehicle and book Patena, you will have much better viewing. Patena is patient and knowledgable. He has incomparable spotting skills. Highly recommend! Resident guides always give you better game viewing than a general guide from Arusha who can't possibly be an expert on all parks and the favorite places of the resident animals.

2) We flew to the Central Sergenti and then used their open vehicle which was comfortable. The open vehicle allows for better viewing as there are no sides to get in the way of your viewing. And the air circulation keep us cooler. This is by far your best option rather than having a closed vehicle.

3) The camp had the best food of anyplace we stayed. Prosper, the chef, is very skilled. You will enjoy! If Prosper had a restaurant in our city, we would be regular customers.

4) Peter, the general manager, was the best manager of all the camps we visited. He had a hands on approach to be sure that all guests were being catered to and enjoying their stay. And every request was met with a smile. I can still picture his smiling face, eager to please.

We would come back here in a heartbeat! After 20+ years of safari holidays, this stands out was one of the most productive locations. In one morning drive we saw 2 lions, 3 cheetah, 2 leopards, and 15 hyena. I would like to reiterate that we believe he had much success due to the resident guide from Dunia. People who use a general driver from Arusha overland safari's don't have the same success because the guides are not familiar with the area.

PS - Bring citronella insect wipes to keep away the biting flies. Works like a charm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Di D
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

If being bitten, filthy, tired, cold, lugging bags and a bowl of fruit is your ideal holiday experience, Dunia Camp is the place for you. Otherwise STAY AWAY.

Beware the Dunia camp bush “showers”. They are no more than a trickle of water and were by far the worst I’ve experienced in 20 years of safari trips. The staff spent 36 hours not fixing the problem. Here’s a hint. A maximum 20 liters of water does not provide enough pressure to push water 30 ft up a hose pipe. Gravity works fine. Shorten the pipe and let it run DOWN into the shower. Also if you’re not at least 6 ft tall, you won’t be able to reach the on/off shower tap in most of the tents.

The camp is located inside the tsetse fly area. You will get bitten viciously and incessantly.
The beds are hard and the linens too thin to keep warm at night. Bring your own park bench. It will be more comfortable.

The food is poor compared to other camps. A long wait for: tough, burnt, tasteless meat off a grill; vegetable's left lingering and cooling on a buffet; and a small bowl of fruit plunked in the center of the table was the dinner offering one night.

The staff is generally disinterested in making visitors welcome.

It was so bad the company refunded one night of our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank katie56003
AsiliaAfrica, Guest Relations Manager at Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback. As discussed with your agent we are most sorry to hear of your less than positive experience at Dunia. As TripAdvisor shows this is very rare and for that we expressed our genuine apologies. As a result of your feelings and in good faith, we did give you one night refund by way of compensation which we understood you had accepted by taking it. We are equally sorry that despite accepting this refund you still felt the need to re-boot the discussion.

Dunia is a very popular camp that aspires to the highest standards and it was exactly because of that we offered you with the compensation. Importantly, Dunia received no other complaints of this nature during the time you stayed at the camp (or before or since) but we remain sorry that this was your opinion and that the compensation you accepted did not prove to be that for you.

Asilia Africa
Concord, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our family had 3 out of the 8 camps on our 3 night stay in late June/July (their winter). It was an incredible experience. The manager Peter, the staff Saleh, Jimmy, Philipo, and others just were so attentive to all of our needs. We had an 8 year old with us and they did everything they could to accommodate her. The guests we enjoyed so much as well. Chande from Asilia was our guide during our 7 days of safari and he was amazing. We did two full days and had a box lunch on our safari, and another day where we came back for lunch. The place although a camp still felt elegant and clean. Sitting or talking to guest around the campfire was pleasant prior to dinner. The kitchen accommodated our family of 7 by setting up a table and arranging for us to eat at 7 pm (an hour earlier than the camp time) since we had an eight year old, and parents who go to bed earlier. The food was very good, lots of beverage options, charging station for your personal electronics, bugs and mosquitos were not a big problem. They have skin/clothing repellant in the room as well as bug spray. They did a nice job hand-washing items as well. I loved the noise of the animals at night - I just wanted to stay up, but I found the bed comfortable and myself too tired after the safaris. We decided to take our showers each night before dinner before it got dark and cold. We didn't shower in the morning. I was very satisfied with the temperature of the water and the amount. They explain how you can rinse off quickly, turn off the water, then lather up, then rinse. My husband took "shower #1" and didn't use all his water. So I finished his and when that is done the attendant outside asks "ready for shower #2? then I finished with my bucket. That was more than enough water. Keep things simple is a good motto when in Africa. Sunrise and sunset are at 6:30. Order your tea/coffee to arrive by 6:00 - 6:15 am and sit in your room and watch the sunrise. Bring very small handheld flashlights for your pocket so you can see in your tent at night to walk to the bathroom. They have a large flashlight in the room. There are lights in the room but I tried not to use them very much to conserve.They always escort you around to your room at night. Gosh I can't say enough. I could go on. We stayed at Plantation Lodge, Arusha Coffee Lodge, as well, but my most memorable experiences are here at Dunia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family