“Delicious Food and excellent customer service.Tse Tse flies galore.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa
Reviewed March 6, 2013

The service at Dunia was the best out of all the tented camps we stayed it. It felt like a four seasons. Richard, the manager is the best. We were quite amazed that after our 1st shower finished someone would immediately show up to fill for the second shower. If you don't take a shower in the morning, they bring you a flask filled with hot water. That was really nice! We didnt get a hot water morning flask at any other camp.

The dinner was THE BEST out of all the properties we stayed at. It was better than alot of the top restaurants that we've eaten in California. Breakfast lunch boxes were really good too. Wonderful job with our gluten free restrictions. They made use special breads and muffins at dinner, lunch, and breakfast.

The only problem with Dunia are the tsetse flies. Getting into/out of the camp is a nightmare, make sure you close all your windows. During the afternoon/lunch time the flies attack you but early morning and at night the flies are asleep. We requested lunch in our tent to escape the flies and the wait staff were wonderful for bringing lunch to our tent!

This was the only camp where we always heard lions roar and hyenas at night. Lots of cats around due to the kopje's.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank a k

Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Dunia tented camps (Richard, manager) of the Asilia group, as well as those in Oliver's Camp (Karisia, manager) and Ubuntu (Epimark, manager) are truly gems in the "middle of nowhere!" The staff at these camps are absolutely wonderful, attending to your every need. I have rarely seen such amazing, attentive service anywhere (and i travel alot!). Truly commendable and highly recommended. Further, the food at these camps is amazing. You simply cannot believe the 5 Star rated food they created out in the "bush". You willbe amazed. No doubt, I will go back and highly recommend these camps - and I should also mention, there are millions of wild animals all around to see, experience and photograph! a true gem of gems!

Room Tip: These tented camps are "in the wilderness", all tents are equivalent and great.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Dunia is located in the hills of Serengeti, fairly remote and small. The tents are all canvas, hot water is provide by either thermos bottles in the morning or in shower bags upon request. Dining is in the communal tent and the quality of the food is really remarkable given the remoteness of the site and the cooking conditions (I visited the kitchen which is served by a propane tank, wood burning hot water tanks, etc). The baker produces amazing breads, rolls, cakes, pastries out of these spartan conditions. The staff are warm, professional, very caring. When our water ice chest was accidentally stocked with two bottles of chilled unfiltered water not meant for drinking and we accidentally drank from them, they were so solicitous and concerned about my reaction that thereafter I was always greeted with sealed bottles of drinking water. One morning we woke up to the sight of 150 zebra right outside our tent. Our daughters were awakened one night by an animal moving outside their tent who then proceeded to knock over their drying rack in the bathroom portion. Very thrilling! Lions and hyenas could be heard every night. I found the bios of the staff very interesting, they try to hire from local communities and provide jobs in lieu of poaching. This was the most basic of all the places we stayed at and it was still pretty good in terms of food, service - they even ran an electrical cord to our tent for my CPAP machine! What luxury! I had to laugh because in the middle of this forested camp site - there was the mandated "fire escape route" notice tacked to a tree. I really enjoyed the other guests and the evening campfire where we gathered for appetizers and drinks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cyssf2003
Reviewed February 19, 2013

lovely,intimate tented camp.staff was terrific and organized.they managed extremely well with our special food requirements........and the food was fab.the tents are lovely---the views from the tent amazing.we saw many,many animals on our way in and out ........and saw a giraffe from the tent doorway.got a lesson in how to fold napkins!!!!! like a bird in the morning.........and the chef wrote down his recipe for the tasty fish we had for dinner.Peter,the director was interesting to talk to........and i can't say enough good things about the staff

Room Tip: we were in tent 2--close to the dining area......but nothing is far away.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karyn1241
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was on Dunia for 3 nights, with my family ( total 6 ). It was amazing. We could hear hundreds of different animals, including hienas and lions ( not so close, but enough to be heard ). We felt secure all the time. Food was very good. The camp manager, Richard, was always present to be sure everything was perfect. As I had to use internet - and there were no internet to guests - he offered me to use his own computer on his office, what I did many times.

For the ones who would like to have the experience to be on a tent inside a park like Serengeti, Dunia is a wonderful option.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marcos_traveller
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My biggest complaint about Dunia Camp is that I only got to stay there for two nights. In retrospect, I wish I had three or more. And although the migration was near Ndutu, the game viewing around Dunia was just tremendous.

Our arrival was a bit rough as there had been rain, and part of the road on arrival was poor. But we made it and were greeted by Dunia's staff with wet towels and cold drinks. And although we experienced some tsetses on our drive to Dunia, we didn't experience any near or at the camp. And I don't recall even seeing any bugs in our tent.

We arrived shortly before cocktail hour our first night and enjoyed drinks around the fire they set up. We even saw a couple of hyenas run by nearby, and noticed some giraffes slightly farther away. This seemed like a great spot for game viewing. And with only eight tents, it made for a very communal group and we met some terrific people.

Our tent was really fantastic, so fantastic I could hardly call it a tent. I'll admit I'm not a camper, but you don't need to be to stay here. The tents were spaced pretty far apart so you felt like you had a lot of privacy and you couldn't hear anyone else at night. The tent material was thick, the flooring soft, but firm and comfortable, and the tent large. There was a separate front sitting area with a daybed and chair. Our bedroom had two beds. The beds were extremely comfortable with high quality bedding. It was a little cool at night, but they also put a hot water bottle under the covers in the evening - another very nice touch. The whole tent was all nicely decorated, including table lamps and a light above the beds with electricity available 24-hours a day. There are no outlets, but there are outlets in the main tent where you can charge your items any time of day or night.

And then there was a large bathroom area, with the sink, place to keep toiletries, an armoire of sorts, and the toilet and shower area. The bucket shower worked quite nicely and provided plenty of very warm water. On my first of three showers, I was a little aggressive with the water pressure (you control it) and I ran out of water maybe 10 or so seconds earlier than I would have liked. My latter two showers, I got the hang of it and had more than enough water. And just in case you'd like to take a second shower in a day, if necessary, you may (we did this our first day, as we arrived a little dirty).

They ask you after dinner each night what time you'd like to wake up, and then they come to wake you in the morning. They also bring coffee and cookies, then ask if you're ready for a shower, fill the shower, and refill the shower for your tent mate. There were also robes in the tent, and I enjoyed heading to the front sitting area of the tent in the morning to catch the early morning sun and enjoy the coffee and cookies - so peaceful!

There is also complimentary laundry. Just know they will not clean socks or underwear.

As for food, this was some of the best we had all trip. Breakfast was buffet service, plus eggs as requested. There were fruits, bread and pastries. We only had picnic lunches here so I don't know what they do for lunch. Dinner was served at a communal table which I loved. Food was very good, particularly our first night where we had an excellent, but unusual osso bucco, unusual in that it was served with an East African curry sauce (essentially an Indian curry, but with local spices, almost like jerk spices).

After dinner, they escorted you to your tent. There's very high bush so they're obviously ensuring your safety. At the end of the stay, it was nice knowing that unlike other lodges/camps, there were no extras - no liquor charges, no wine charges, no extras. And the staff could not have been friendlier. Of all the places on our safari, this was the one I regretted leaving the most. I hope I'm lucky enough to return one day.

Room Tip: We had tent 5, relatively close to the main dining area, which was nice and convenient. And because...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank ChicagoToTheWorld
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Lovely two night stay at Dunia Camp at New Year's Dec 2012/Jan 2013. The service excellent, and the food delicious. Asilia Africa is a wonderful company and very conservation and community minded: the Dunia staff is all hired from local tribal communities, to provide them with an alternative to poaching. The campfire before dinner is especially lovely, and when we were there one night were treated to tribal singing and dancing by the staff. One note: we stayed during the short rainy season, and the roads into and out of camp were really muddy; make sure you are in a jeep or landrover than can handle some serious mud (and your driver is prepared for it).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends