All reviews female staff bucket shower moru kopjes central serengeti bush tv singing and dancing open vehicle other guests communal dinner hot water tse tse flies the entire staff wonderful experience three nights tsetse flies share stories our honeymoon
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our two nights at Dunia is definitely an experience we'll never forget. We read all about it on the Internet before going, but you truly have to experience it firsthand to understand why everyone raves about it. Peter was an incredible host and the service was just impeccable. The tent is exactly like what you see in the photos, large, spacious, and almost like a regular hotel room. The bucket showers were a bit on the cold side for me, but got the job done.

We were celebrating my birthday here, and Dunia put on an absolutely amazing show. They actually baked a birthday cake and performed a little song/dance around the table in Swahili. (They did sing happy birthday in English too.) I guess my husband had contacted them before our stay, and they sure did put on quite the surprise for me.

The food here was amazing. I was completely blown away by the creativity and how they can prepare such meals in the middle of nowhere. We actually asked Peter to give us a tour of the back of the house. He showed us all kinda of stuff including the charcoal fridge for the veggies, the kitchen tents, the solar panel controls, and his little bush office. it was amazing to see how they made it all wok. I highly recommend that you ask for a little tour.

The reason why I did not give 5 stars is due to Dunia allowing large groups to reserve a majority of the tents. On our second night there, 5 of the 8 tents were occupied by one large party. The serenity of the bush and the community experience of the family style dining completely vanished. That night, they actually set up 1 long table for the group, and the rest of us were in small individual tables in the front. My suggestion to management would be to not allow any single group that takes more than 3 tents, unless they can buy out the camp. It was just an odd experience when they all knew each other and sat separately. The best comparison is like when you show up at a hotel and find out that some huge convention had actually taken over the entire place. They were nice people, just not the experience we were looking for at a camp like this.

Room Tip: Away from the main tent
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WorkTravelBalance
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The whole family (uncluding boys of 18, 16 and 12 years old) have been bluffed by our stay at Dunia camp. Environment is great, staff is enthusiast, level of service is very good, difficult to imagine you can find this level of service in the middle of the bush.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank frphilip
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Dunia Camp for 2 nights at the beginning of July and absolutely loved it! This was our first time at a tented camp and the experience was like nothing we have ever done!

Everything about the private tents and the main camp area were beautiful. The food was excellent! The nightly fire and getting to spend time before dinner with the other guests was wonderful.

As our last night at Dunia, was the night before our wedding, Peter and his staff surprised us with a private bush dinner and we could not have asked for a better surprise. Peter and everyone at Dunia are absolutely wonderful!

Thank You! Asante!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Dunia Camp for 2 nights in late July, We are both well travelled and I have visited various parts of Africa including the Serengeti quite a few times. I would highly rate this camp - it is well managed, excellent food and the tents / camp site of a high standard. Richard was an excellant host and arranged a beautiful breakfast for my wife's birthday including a memorable African happy birthday song sung by the staff. We loved the wake up coffee / tea served at your tent in the morning (although I know some other camps do this as well). Wildlife viewing was very good particularly loins. Some reviewers have complained of tsetse flies and certainly they were around. We did our game drives early in the morning and in the afternoon and therefore weren't particularly bothered by them (they tend to come out during the heat around the middle of the day) plus they seemed to be in a relatively small area not far from the camp - so I would not be put off by this. In all a first rate camp that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We absolutely loved Dunia Camp - the camp manager Peter and his staff made us feel so welcome and were also very good at making sure everyone had a great time. Their enthusiasm and passion for the camp and the Serengeti really rubbed off on all and the atmosphere was great because of this. We were on honeymoon and were so impressed and delighted by the fantastic way we were treated. The food was excellent, and the amenities and set-up were so impressive considering that this is a mobile camp in the middle of the park. It was a great from which to explore Central Serengeti and is not to be missed!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple