“This was our favourite accommodation during our 8-day safari”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti Wilderness Camp
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We went on an 8 day safari through Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro from 18-26 June, and this was my husband and my favourite accommodation by far. We were at first not sure what to expect from a mobile tented camp, expecting the facilities to be fairly basic and simple. But we were so wrong. The tents were spacious and had the full amenities. The hot water for showering had to be brought to our tent by the staff, but they were very prompt and did it fuss-free. The food for every meal (lunch buffet and 3-course dinner) was absolutely delicious. And the staff were friendly and hospitable! And it was such an experience just living in a camp just out in the wild, knowing that animals can just walk right by our camp. Serengeti Wilderness Camp is definitely highly recommended!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FJH_London
There are newer reviews for Serengeti Wilderness Camp

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was one of my very favorite accommodations on our 9 day safari. It was exactly what I expected when I decided to go on safari, and exactly what a stay in the Serengeti should be like. We arrived later than usual but that meant we got to see the MOST amazing full moon rise over the Serengeti. Upon arrival, we were greeted and given refreshments. We then were shown our tents (escorted by the Masai warriors) to freshen up before dinner.

Our tents were roomy and very well appointed. The beds were clean as was the bathroom. We had lights but found for reading our headlamps were better. And although we were in the middle of the Serengeti, we had flush toilets. Joy!

Our dinner was another surprise - one of the best of the entire trip. Delicious soup followed by an incredible meal and dessert. I have no idea how they cook so wonderfully in the middle of the Serengeti, but it was truly one of the best meals during our stay. We also enjoyed speaking with other travelers. We were able to charge our batteries in the beverage tent (left the overnight with NO concern for them being stolen). My mom and I had an early wake up for a balloon ride but our companions stayed enjoying the fire and talking with other folks.

We were warned to take very short showers as we would get about 10 liters of hot water per person. I thought it would be very hard but the water was very refreshing and it was no problem. I actually think we could have taken a longer shower but we didn't want to run short.

The sounds of the Serengeti as my mom and I were going to sleep is something I will never forget. The lowing of the wildebeests interspersed with the occasional lion in the distance was amazing and not at all frightening.

My only regret was that we only had one night here. I would have liked 2 or 3 nights - to enjoy the sunset or sunrise.

The staff went out of their way to be accommodating. Truly a wonderful experience not to be missed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sallyern
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The service and atmosphere of this tented camp was wonderful. The manager was always asking if everything was fine and they did lots of little touches to make it a special stay. I loved the campfire at night after dinner, sitting on the plains of the Serengeti after a lovely fairly formal dinner.

Room Tip: The tented facilities had a nice distance between them (and there weren't that many ) so it real...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I always wanted to stay at a tented camp on the Serengeti. When we booked through our travel agent (Wild Frontiers) we were told to expect very rough conditions - no hot water, A/C, and other modern amenities.

Upon arrival at the Serona Airstrip we were promptly greeted by our guide who drove us to the camp (sightseeing along the way). When the driver pulled up to the camp we were greeted with cool, wet towels and a friendly atmosphere. Our luggage was handled professionally and before we knew it we were settled in a large tent relaxing with a beer in hand.

Similar great experiences ensued throughout the remainder of our brief three-day stay at the camp:
1) Dinner was served with waiters and tasted absolutely amazing
2) Breakfast was hot and buffet style
3) We had private hot water SHOWERS and a flushing toilet (albeit the shower head connected to a water bucket and the toilet was a fancy port-a-poty)
4) Service was impeccable – you would think you were staying at a five star resort!
5) A campfire was available every night and you could sit around and discuss the day’s activities with other travelers
6) We had some electricity available for lights in the tents and a centralized charging area for camera batteries.

Important things to note:
1) You ARE staying in the wilderness. While we were pleasantly surprised with the level of amenities it is important to realize you are in a tent.
2) If we were to do this again we would make arrangements to “hop” to at least one other tent location at some point during the stay – this allows you to view more of the Serengeti instead of repeating the same loops over multiple days. Wild Frontiers (who runs this camp) also has several others scattered throughout the area.

Room Tip: Try to get one away from the dining tent, it will be a little quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mandarb
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Details:
- luxury tents with own bathroom and shower in the tent
- entire place has an eco-friendly focus
- attentive staff
- delicious food and drinks (including alcohol)

We woke up to the sound of a lion roaring and saw elephants running in the distance while walking to breakfast.

Side note; they won't clean women's underwear (I think due to all male staff).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MelyssaGuerry
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights and were the only guests so we had the whole camp to ourselves. Everything you need is here and the food was delicous! Your foolish if you decide to stay in a lodge as this camp allows you privacy and the amazing experience to camp out in the serengeti. The tents are very big and have a comfortable bed. There is a shower and toilet in the tent partitioned off. You get 20L of hot water per person a day to shower with and it is enough. You can hear the heyenas close to the camp at night and a buffalo came next to our tent at 5am. It was a truely amazing experience we will never forget. The staff at this camp will go out of their way to make your stay memorable and comfortable. I highly reccomend staying here and if you have any questions just ask me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PerpetualTraveler77
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was scared of tenting in the Serengeti, and we did have lions both nights. But as our safety share said, 'by lighting the lamps out front at night, the lions know not to go into the tent" LOL The food was good, they had a charging center, it was quiet, even the shower and toilet facility in the tent was ok. I would do it again in a tented camp. The staff was interested in ensuring our stay, meals were great.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
#9 of 118 in Serengeti National Park
Moyoni Lodge
Moyoni Lodge
#26 of 176 in Arusha

Been to Serengeti Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!