“Good camp, good staff, but...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti Wilderness Camp
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We stayed in several tented camps and expected this one to be at or near the top in quality. It was good - but not great. In particular, our dinner was very poor due to bad choices by the staff. There was a bug hatch going on. They were around the dining tent as the sun went down. When it got dark, they moved toward the lamps in the tent. Instead of closing the tent and spraying for the bugs already in, they went around with a cloth brushing bugs off the tables. They didn't close the flaps until everyone had come in for dinner. The put smallish lanterns on the tables and did their best to brush the bugs off the tables.

We had a choice... either move as far away from our lantern as possible - which would mean the fewest bugs around us and in our food, but too dark to see what we were eating... or move closer and be able to see the bugs and try to avoid eating them. It was just unpleasant. They tried - but they needed to respond earlier and differently.

Facilities were fine, food was OK... even with the drawbacks, we enjoyed our stay and would always select this camp over a lodge...

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank idiotsabroad
There are newer reviews for Serengeti Wilderness Camp

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at 2 tented camps during our safari, this one being the most camp-like of the two, but I actually preferred this one more. I felt like I was really sleeping in the wild (you are, there are no fences and lions were roaring at night). Though, I never felt unsafe. The staff were excellent and even had a bottle of champange and fruit waiting in our room when we arrived! It rained the entire time we were there, so we didn't get to do the campfire, but our room did stay dry!

PROS:
Great location, right in the Serengeti
Very accomodating, helpful staff. They brought water right away when asked and were very polite
Suprisingly very comfortable bed
Large tent with plenty of room for luggage and a place to hang your clothes
Lights near the bed so you're not in the complete dark

CONS:
Let me point out I'm a "city slicker" and do not like the outdoors (so why am I staying in a tented camp you ask? :)

No running sink water, you have to use a pitcher of water to wash your hands (I had to ask several times for refills, which the staff happily fulfillied)
There is a flushing toliet, but it can be a little difficult to use (we had to ask the staff to "fix" it for us once)
Showers are very short, water is hot, but be prepared to take a 3-5 minute shower. The staff will refill the water for you, but I didn't want to ask.
Not a lot of dinner selection, we were only given one entree choice. The food was flavored well, but I did not like that type of meat.

Overall I would recommend this camp to others as it is very peaceful and a very neat experience, however I know my preferences and I prefer to be in a lodge! :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ilovemarriottrewards
Reviewed October 31, 2011

cleanless: i know you shouldnt expect much in a tent in the bushes but i believe that the restaurant could have been a bit cleaner. there were ants on our tables in the morning and the cups were not very clean. however the tents were ok

location: the camp was mobile. Perfectly located in the middle of Serengeti, so close from the main game drive area of Seronera

room: the disadvantage of the tents was that the bathroom and toilet were outside of the main compartment of the tent which couldnt zip completely. this made me uncomfortable in using the toilet in the evening because you couldnt see if anything got in the bathroom. maybe that is because we are not used to camping though. No mosquito nets for the bed either. the shower was 'served' which was quite nice!

food: that was ok. the food didnt impress me but it was plenty and you could get a refill if you wanted.

overall experience: my highlight was the camp fire in the evening which allowed you to sit around and meet other travellers and exchange safari stories. to add to this experience, the dinner was served at 7.30 for everybody which was nice as it added to the sociable experience. this is something you can only get in very few places in the world and wilderness camp with its stuff lets you relax and enjoy your time there to its fullest

• Stayed: October 2011
3  Thank Alex1307
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is a mobile tented camp. My husband arrived having never spent a night in and wondering what i'd got him into, opened the fly screen to our tent, to find a queen sized bed, a wardrobe and an ensuite. The tent was great. They have bush showers, so you have to call someone to fill it up for you so you can use it. Takes some getting used to. The toilet was the only bad part but there's nothing they can do about this. It's a small septic tank. You have to open the tank by pulling a lever under the toilet and then pump water into it to flush. Let's just say the flusher is fairly useless and I'm so grateful we did not get sick on this trip because I don't know that the toilet would have coped.

The staff are amazing. Extremely friendly and enthusiastic about their camp. They have made a genuine effort to create an environmentally friendly, but comfortable experience for their guests. The food is out of this world and they catered for my husband's gluten intolerance with a smile. The only negative is the open requests for tips and the pressure to provide enough tips for all 8 staff members. As an Australian I am not used to compulsory tipping and this made me feel a bit uncomfortable. The place was great so would have tipped anyway, but did not like the pressure of being asked.

The location is in the middle of the Serengeti. The first night we had zebras all around the tent, the second night we had hyenas just outside. Thrilling experience and one I'd love to repeat.

The only issue is, being a city slicker I don't like creepy crawleys, and being eco-friendly, they don't seem to have bug spray. So when a giant black wasp took up residence in our toilet we had to call someone to get it outside. I see this as my issue thought, not theirs.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angel81Sydney
Reviewed August 9, 2011

This was a wonderful camp. Here we heard many animals at night, and they had a wonderful lounge area with games, books, and a well-stocked bar. It was nice to come to this area to relax before dinner time. We could also charge up our electronics here, while we relaxed over a sundowner drink. :) At dinner time, we moved to the dining tent, and the camp felt small and intimate. We were able to eat and chat with others staying at the camp, but we could also easily choose to sit alone if we felt like having a private dinner with just my husband and I and our guide. After dinner, we could sit at the campfire and watch the sky grow darker...finally, we could retire to our tent where we could listen to the animals all night. We listened to the sounds of hyenas and lions at night here, which is unforgettable!

The food was delicious and plentiful, and the service was outstanding. We enjoyed staying here very much, and the area surrounding Serengeti Wilderness Camp was absolutely stunning (Seronera) and so full of animals during our visit in July. We saw it all here, and we loved every moment of our stay.

One note, the toilets here are a little bit different from other flushing toilets we had at other camps, and while they are perfectly comfortable and easy to use, it took a little time to get used to. It was still a far cry from an outhouse, and I'm so glad we had our own private washroom.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MandyRose08
Reviewed August 1, 2011

the best tented lodge I stayed at sofar! Very comfortable tents that are caringly equipped with everything you need. After a long and exciting safari day the pleasant warm shower that was "served" at the time you ordered it was another bit of the adeventurous experience at this lovely camp.
The food was excellent and served in a nice setting. Don't miss to sit around the camp fire before dinner with a drink from the wide selection of the bar
Extremely friendly and competent staff that seem to foresee what you might need. Lovely setting in the middle of nowhere, just as you would wish it to be.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JennyGay
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed 2 nights at this fine tented camp that is remotely located in the central Serengeti - moves periodically to take advantage of animal migrations.

The tents are quite roomy with an excellent bed and decent furnishings. Funky toilet that's fine once you learn how to operate it. Hot water provided in a pitcher for washing at the basin, added to the shower resevoir when requested.

The meals were some of the finest we've had in Africa, which is even more impressive considering how far away we were from civilization. Beers were the least expensive of the 7 places we stayed durning this trip (go figure - way out here?).

So, if you have the opportunity to stay here, by all means do so. Mind you, it's a rustic setting, but very comfortable for the type of camp it is - it's very well done.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
#9 of 118 in Serengeti National Park
Moyoni Lodge
Moyoni Lodge
#25 of 176 in Arusha

Been to Serengeti Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!