“amazing”

Mbalageti Safari Camp Ltd
london
“amazing”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The rooms are partially tents with raised wooden floors and the bathrooms are fully rocked. The shower was very good, the room was clean and spacious enough. The front porch was nice in the evenings or for a quick break before setting out on the 2/3 mile hike to the main lodge or the even further hike to the restaurant.

The wifi does not reach the rooms, but honestly, it's pretty good at the welcome center and it's amazing that there is even any this far out in the Serengeti. No cell phone signals reach out here. If you are texting with a cell, you'll have to wait until you reach the end of the 45 minute long driveway to get any signal. But that's not a bad thing, really. :)

The food was very good for the most part. I wish I had known if the fresh fruits and vegetables were prepared with sterilized water. Not knowing (and I didn't think to ask), I avoided them, which was sad, because they looked excellent. It was all good, but the grilled meat we had on our last night was the best meat we had there. Delicious!

There was a family of 29 there with 16 kids so we never got a chance to get in the pool when things were quiet. The view from the pool and the deck of the restaurant was excellent, though.

Be prepared to be expected to tip your escorts before and after daylight hours. We didn't realize that would be the case and had no cash on us for the first young man who kept us safe from the after dark wildlife. No one told us how much was expected so we treated it like a tip for a porter and gave $1USD for a trip to the restaurant and $2USD for a trip to our chalet since it was soooo far out.

I might stay in a slightly more centrally located place if I went back, but I can't say anything too bad about the drive out. It was like having a game drive start as soon as you left the main grounds of the camp.

This is close enough for a day trip to Lake Victoria and I'd recommend that if you want to see a fishing village and experience some local life. A short break in game drives that is well worth it. It does cost money, though, so ask your guide how much. It may well vary depending on

Room Tip: ask for near bar
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wazo1984

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent one night here and wish we had stayed another. The chalet we stayed in was beautifully appointed with great views. We awoke the next morning to impalas and gazelles grazing just below our deck. The room had a telescope and binoculars for you to use. It really was a very beautiful place. The buffet dinner and service in the dining room were both good.

We did have a little problem with communication that tainted an otherwise wonderful stay. When we arrived, we told the staff that we would be leaving around 8:30 the next morning. When we were leaving our room to go to breakfast, a staff member was outside our room asking for our bags. We told him that we weren’t leaving until 8:30 and were going to breakfast, he said “Ok” but I don’t think he really understood us. When we came back from breakfast he was still there and maids were inside cleaning. My husband asked them to leave while we finished getting packed up. Someone else came and knocked on the door and asked if we overslept. We told them no, we weren’t leaving until 8:30. Needless to say, we felt a bit rushed about packing up and leaving. We told a manager up at the lounge about it when we left and he apologized for the confusion, but it was a mistake on their part that could easily have been avoided. In a place of this caliber I expected better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bluebird711
Mbeya, Tanzania
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Coming from a long drive and entering the Lodge is very welcoming and soothing experience.
Mbalageti is amazing place with warm and friendly people,Fantastic view and Delicious food and i must say Yummy Milk-shake ;)

On your arrival, you are greeted with a nice warm welcome and also treated with a cool wet face towels and a refreshing drink-Your whole tiredness of the drive just goes off like boom with this personalized treat. Keep it up Mbalageti Team :)

The rooms and the buildings are spread out which actually gives you the opportunity to explore more,have adventure and also a little walking exercise in the Serengeti,you feel energetic after the walk.

After the game drive, you can unwind and spoil yourself with the Spa services where you can feel and hear the breeze from the plains and also watch a few herds of animals grazing and playing along.

I have stayed in the lodge rooms and also chalets and both were a great experience and adventure. I have been at the lodge often and will continue to visit to unwind and relax myself from the city's busy life. I Simply Love Mbalageti Lodge and would strongly recommend everyone to stay there at least once.

Room Tip: You can request for nearby rooms if you are not comfortable with staying in the far end rooms. They...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Afsa B
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We are so glad we stayed at Mbalageti. It was the perfect choice of lodging and we loved staying there. Really great cabins/tents, very nice bathrooms, amazing setting and views, excellent service, and good food. They even have wifi in the welcome center building and juice waiting for you when you arrive.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank GrahamHW
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband & I stayed just one night in this wonderful hotel as part of our safari. Food was great (also the wines), the room was beautiful and allow us to see the animals from our balcony. The workers are friendly and they have a excellent service. Ongera, kazi njema! Asante

Room Tip: All the rooms have a super view!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank oribape
Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This place is ranked worst during my entire 6 day trip in Tanzania. I had high hopes based on the photos I saw online and to be frank, the place does look nice, but that is it. It only looks nice. The service was average, the food was very salty and the chalet rooms unsafe. This was the most unacceptable thing about the hotel, I did not feel safe at all. Firstly the hotel is situated in a far flung location in the middle of nowhere, and I was given the furthest room away from the dinning area. We had 6 in our group and 3 rooms. My room was at the end of the group of chalets and they placed us in alternating rooms (perhaps they wanted to give us privacy but I think it was not necessary). My roommate and I heard a sound in the middle of the night and it sounded like someone trying to open our door. Luckily I had pushed my luggage and the dressing table chair against the door as the room cannot be locked from inside and I was feeling unsafe the whole stay. The dinning area is too far from our rooms. I hated this place and was so glad to check out after 1 night. Frankly, my stay in a tent during one of the days in central Serengeti felt even safer than this lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank IceMilo
USA
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed there twice once in 2007 and other time in 2012 however, there is no place on earth like Mbalageti! Start from reception at arrival to the dining and on to the lodges there is nothing but quality and comfort in place. The camp is very spacious and located high above the mountain where the entire view of the awesome heaven is around you. There is no way i can describe enough about the evening safari dinner, but a natural beauty out there at the bottom of the hill!!! In addition, absolute absence of light and noise pollution makes it the most ideal and desirable place to spend vacation time with your honey out there. Rupi Sahib keep up the good work to keep this place alive and well for generations to come.

Room Tip: Try to choose chalet# 12 thru 14 on the western side of the ghat and you will get the most unobstru...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends