“Also to be avoided.”

Lobo Wildlife Lodge
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Lobo Wildlife Lodge

Run by the same company that runs Serengeti Wildlife Lodge and suffers from much the same problems.

Poor housekeeping. (At least the linens are clean.)

Their idea of "hot" water is water that isn't actually cold. (Only available from 6pm to 11pm, which is the only time power is on.)

Spartan furnishings, all worn and creaking and wobbly. Toilet paper but no face tissue. Ancient plumbing. Glasses supplied, just sitting on the table--no tray or paper under them. One 500ml of bottled water per day.

Gym--closed; Internet cafe--closed; bazaar--closed.

Food is better than the Serengeti Wildlife Lodge. But still pretty poor. Good desserts though.

Staff mediocre, but better than their Serengeti cousin.

No mosquito netting on the beds. But mosquitoes in the room.

No smoke detectors.

Avoid this place if you can.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Canoe2Freedom

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We only stayed one night but could have stayed a week, such an amazing atmosphere. The hotel was very nice but the real attraction was the proximity in the park and availability to wake up with the animals. Food was just alright and understandably on the pricey side but if you have the patience to get to the Serengeti I highly recommend to stay at Lobo.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheHealthyPress
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights during Sept 2012. A very well maintained lode in the northern part of Serengeti. It offers a magnificent view of the park from the pool deck. Rooms are small but cozy. restaurant is huge and offer all type of meals. Although wildlife is not much in abundance in northern Serengeti as compare to central one but one can have a delight of visiting Mara river (approx 3 hrs drive) on Kenya Border to see amazing wildlife. Sleep Quality was perfect. My room offers view of the park where wild beast and buffaloes were seen grazing. Reception was also nicely maintained and check in was smooth. Recommend this one if you are in northern Serengeti!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mohit S
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This lodge has the best views of the park, and the infrastructure of the viewing platform outside the restaurant and bar give rise to some of the most spectacular views I can imagine over Serengeti, especially had the migration been there. The service was also reasonable, considering what I had heard about the place, not as personable as some of the smaller lodges, but pretty good overall. The rooms are ok, surprisingly there was a mosquito in the room, but no mosquito nets (recommend insect repellent as I got bitten by it overnight!)

Unfortunately, my experience with their lunch pack made the rest of my stay a little less palatable. I found maggots in my chicken, as well as maggots in the mandarin. Fortunately, I hadn't eaten anything yet...but I lost my appetite for the remainder of my stay. It's unacceptable to be serving this type of food to anyone. Disappointing. I hope no-one else has to go through that experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nalia81
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This lodge locates the north of the park, great facilities, good food and have a great observing platform, the view is magnificent there. However, I personally don't like the place because the service is not good and I have only encountered one smiling staff who is the cooker in the buffet.

I don't know how to describe the lodge in the evening, it looks like Halloween playground and it's really creepy.I was checked-in a room in the third floor(the top floor) and I woke up by the baboons at the four o'clock in the morning. There is a giant tree near the window, so the baboons can easily access the roof and rolling, fighting, screaming there. My friends were stayed in the same floor, and they even heard the baboon turning their door knob in the morning. The lights in my bathroom was broken, but no one came to fix it.

Maybe my experience is the extreme. If you have to stay there, avoid the third floor especially the rooms close to the trees.

By the way, this is the only place I have spotted the shrikes in the entire journey, so at least I have some good memories about this place.

Room Tip: avoid third floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jiji Z
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am surprised by reviews of the Lobo Wildlife Lodge, which are not always that good. It was probably our favorite lodge in Tanzania this year.

Ok, the rooms are smaller than in, say, Sopa Lodges, but ours was more than adequate and perfectly comfortable. Plus, it had a great view over the hills of the northern Serengeti. The restaurant is buffet style, which I like, and the food was as good as in any hotel where we ate on that trip (6 different ones) and better than some.

And the building is magnificent! It is built with lots of wood, which is beautifully maintained. It is integrated marvellously into a huge kopje, or pile of rocks. Alas, the water temperature in the pool was too low for a southerner like myself. I would have loved to go into it, because the pool is built directly on the rock, which forms the bottom of the pool. And the view from the pool terrace over the savanna is absolutely stunning!

We would definitely go back to the Lobo Wildlife Lodge if we were to return to the Serengeti.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank joneall
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were traveling in a group of seven from Ngorongoro crater to Lobo Lodge as our overnight destination. Our safari vehicle broke down just at the junction to Olduvai Gorge. No replacement. we had to hire another company car to get us as far as Serengeti Wildlife Lodge. Then another car to get us to Lobo Lodge where we were booked (and paid in full in advance). We arrived to the lodge very late, it was dark already. It felt so good to be received nicely and shown to our rooms. To be able to wash and change and go to the dining area with live music played on piano. The food was excellent and plenty. It was so great to be there after a terrible day in scorching heat.

In the morning before the break of dawn, I went with my camera to shoot some night photos. I went up to the swimming pool and observation deck overlooking the plain. The sunrise was spectacular and breathtaking! I was mesmerized by the beauty of it. Elephants, zebras and gnus wandering below in the plain and the majestic sun coming up quickly and bathing everything in red, pink and gold. The pictures of the sunrise can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150608993626912.410645.649361911&type=1&l=cb35c53211

When everyone woke up refreshed and rested, we had a king size breakfast and left for Musoma around 10am, leaving behind us a safe haven, a magnificent place which hopefully will get ugrade and refurbishment as the location of it deserves so much.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends