Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing experience with a very nice and knowledgable guide

Gilli was the perfect guide and driver together in 1. He knows the places to look for with help of... read more

Reviewed June 13, 2019
RCG81
Cologne, Germany
via mobile
Safari trip

We had such a wonderful time during our safari trip in Tanzania. It was more beautiful than we... read more

Reviewed June 13, 2019
EmilyDetlef

All reviews tarangire park day safari perfect guide amazing safari amazing experience machame route making sure these guys pascal plants animals conclusion crater moshi meals crew cook
Selected filters
Reviewed October 15, 2018

I used True Views for both a safari and Mt Kilimanjaro climb. The safari (Tarangire, Serengeti and Ngorongoro national parks) was very good, and so was most of the Mt Kilimanjaro trek. I found the actual morning climb up the mountain hard, reaching Stellar Point. I was mentally and physically tired as I had a sore leg. The lead guide was guiding me on the way up and encouraged me to reach Stellar Point. Another member of our group was behind me with another guide supporting her. (The other members of the group were in front of us with a pro-active guide, who encouraged them to reach the summit.) However, as soon as us two stragglers reached Stellar Point, the lead guide actively discouraged us from going onward to the summit. He said, amongst other things, that we would get a certificate for reaching Stellar Point, implying there was no benefit in going further (the other person continued to the summit). The certificate was not the reason for reaching the summit; it was the achievement.

I approached the lead guide about my concern the following day (the last day of the trek). I said he should’ve encouraged us to continue to the summit, and he responded that safety of the person was the issue. My safety wasn’t an issue climbing to Stellar Point as the guide very rarely came near me on the ascent, generally being about 10 metres or so in front of me. He didn’t examine me for altitude illness at any stage, nor did I feel any of the symptoms of it.

My only conclusion is that the guide, having the reached Stellar Point, just wanted to do down the mountain. This is supported by him generally being 10-20 metres in front of me on the way down, and on occasions, much greater distances than that. Nor was there any mention from him regarding our safety.

I’m reluctant to mention this as in all other respects, he did a good job as chief guide. I am probably still prepared to recommend True Views to other people, however, I will advise people to make sure they tell the company to have guides that actively encourage people when climbing the mountain
I spent a lot of money to go to Tanzania for the experience of a lifetime. That experience has been dashed as I now don’t know whether I could’ve reached the summit if I had had encouragement from the guide to continue to the summit rather than discouragement.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

We had a really wonderful trip with True Views!!
The 4 day safari through Tarangire, Serengeti and the Crater was the best! Our fantastic guide Gilian could tell us lots about the nature culture and wildlife! Very patient and helpful and enjoyable!
And we had the most delicious meals cooked by our chickenmaster cook Niko!!
Both very lovely guys!

After the safari we did a Kili dayhike with our guide Mathew. Also a great experience :)

Thank you so much for everyhting, we had a wonderful time. Fully recommended:)

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed August 3, 2018

I came to Tanzania in late May 2018 to climb Kilimanjaro. As I was not on a tight schedule, I had not pre-booked a trek from overseas. As it was low season at the time, this was not necessary and it is safe to say that I am happy with my choice to book it upon my arrival in Moshi. Kilimanjaro is an expensive activity, no matter which operator you choose. Booking it locally will definitely save anyone some cost. Besides, I found it very reassuring to get to know my guide before I decided to join a certain operator. I came in contact with Matty on the first day of my arrival. He showed me around town and made me a good offer for the Machame Route of 6 days. As it was low season at the time, I had not been able to find a group to join, so I would have to do a private trek. As a solo traveller, I preferred to not be on my own with the crew, so Matty managed to find me a companion.
In general, my experience with True Views was very good on the mountain. I felt safe and comfortable during my entire time with them. The crew is truly competent and is able to provide a very nice personal touch to the trek. Guide Matty and his assistant Moses were evidently very experienced. They knew exactly what it takes to make it to the top in a comfortable and safe manner.
Rama, the cook provided us with three surprisingly extensive meals per day and the porters always had everything ready when we arrived at camp.
I would like to thank every member of the crew again for this fantastic experience!

After the mountain, Joseph took me and two companions on a 4 day safari through Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Tarangire. Safari in Tanzania is expensive, but I can recommend it either way. These three parks are really interesting with a knowledgeable guide. Joseph really gave everything to ensure the best possible experience for us, for which I would like to thank him. Furthermore, I would like to thank Nicky for the fantastic food during the four days.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed April 7, 2018

I think these guys did a great job. It was an uncomfortable risk paying everything upfront (1650/person for 7 days Machame) but they followed thru and really worked hard at making sure my girlfriend and I were taken care of, bellies full of good food, tent ready by the time we arrived in camp, with various other amenities that made it less grueling. I'd namedrop Trueviews for others interested in doing a Kili trek with the guide Matty and assistant guide Dula.

Pros:
- Matty was good, and knowledgeable about the terrain, plants, and seemed like a very competent leader. He was great with giving us the plan for the coming day, with what we need and safety risks.
- I thought the team of 11 porters/cook/waiter/guide/assistant guide was excessive at first, but I get it now. There's a lot involved in making it all a smoothly running operation. They were always organized and friendly.
- Patient with us even when the going got tough on the summit day and my gf was having a tough time at altitude.
- Sent me all photos/vids taken on his phone, which was great because I didn't take a single photo on summit day because I was way too tired to fiddle with my camera.
- Made sure I had all the recommended gear, rented me what I was missing.

Cons:
- A little controlling about the whole tipping process (but I guess it's better than getting burnt by customers who may not be aware tipping is standard)

All in all, we got to the top, and had the time of our life. Given the challenge of the feat, they did a great job with all the variables in the process. Would recommend.

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank 502stuart
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

We did 6-day Machame rout hike in a group of 23 persons and afterwards 4-day Safari tour.

The guides during the hike and safari were really patient, helpfull, very adept and competent. They took care about us a lot, even in the most difficult moments (for example, they were sharing their equipement, carying our lunch boxes and backpacks, as well as supporting us when we were feeling like giving up).

The food was extremely delicious :) And we got even a popkorn in the altitude of 3900m. Sweet :)

The guides did their best in our both trips despite the rain season.

Asante sana to the whole True Views Tanzania team - Pascal, Matty, Tom and other guides, Niki (the cook), Joseph (Safari gide) and all other helpers and porters, who made our trips unforgettable.

Hopefully, we will see each other once again in our lives

Inga and Linda (Latvia).