“Use Team Kilimanjaro”
Review of Mount Kibo

Mount Kibo
Reviewed January 7, 2013

To climb this mountain, I highly recommend Team Kilimanjaro. You will see my major review of them under the Kilimanjaro attraction. They are honest, reliable and make every effort to ensure you get to the summit - SAFELY. Can't say enough good things about them.

1  Thank raverusa
"tent"
"gear"
"luxury"

Reviewed December 28, 2012

It took me over 6 months to train, mentally prepare and choose a tour operator to reach the top of Africa. I am 52 and took my 18 year old son with me. We flew into Arusha (JRO) Tanzania and we were picked up at the airport by a tour operator represenrative who took us to a hotel to spend a night prior to our climb. Our guide John from Team Kilimanjaro showed up that evening and briefed us about the climb. We started the following day thru TK Rongai route. There were 9 porters, one cook, one assistamce guide and a guide, just to help my son and I to attempt the climb. It took us 6 days to reach the top. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done. The 12 men support team was really amazing, there were there just to make our dream come true. We had private tents, a private canvas stall and a dining tent just for my son and I. They were many other people climbing some with the same company (TK) but most with dozens of other tour operators. We would settle camp every night in well designated areas, so we had the chance to talk to other climbers. We had gourmet dinners every night prepared by our cook from fresh food carried by the porters. Water was boiled and treated every day for our meals and water supply. Our team goal was our goal, they pushed us to eat, drink, sleep, go slower (pole pole), they pay attention to every detail to make the attempt a success. Our guide was constantly inquiring about the multiple symptoms of altitude mountain sickness and taking action constantly to overcome the obstacles. I hurt my knee on the way up, no problem or Hacuna Matata, my guide assigned me a strong young porter to help me on the way down where the knees are essential for the descent.
The way down the mountain was over 32 kilometers or 20 miles. I sruggled to come down. My knees finally gave up 8 kilometers from the base. My guide John arranged for me to be taking down by stretcher the last 3-4 hours. Fortunatly, in the lowest camp we were in, there was a ranger station with a stretcher provided by Kilimanjaro National park. Five strong Africans took me down to the base. The whole climb was the most amazing thing I have ever accomplished. The organization and committment of team Kilimanjaro was bejond anything i would have ever imagin.
If you are healthy an in a reasonable shape, i would recommend this adventure, not just for the adrenalin rush, but for the many other human feelings that the mountain, his people and the team work will bring out of you.

2  Thank GabrielL105
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Myself and a group of 7 friends visited Tanzania to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, take a safari trip to the Ngorongoro Crater and then relax in Zanzibar.

Our trip was organised through Freddie at TAPAC Safaris. It was in one word - AMAZING!

Freddie is a Norweigan expat running Tapac Safaris out of Arusha (the main town you are based in to explore the region). He's a cool, young, fun and very professional guy that knows the area really well (and speaks Swahili!). Tapac has in the past few years become a leading company in the region.

In the town there are as many as 600 different tour companies so it can be quite daunting selecting one. A friend of a friend recommneded Freddie. We couldn't have been happier. His entire operation is very professional and this is very important on the mountain. Little things really make a big difference - for example - Freddie's guides and porters are better paid than most, therefore the work hard and are happy. This made a huge difference to our experience. Freddie also supplies excellent food and excellent facilities and doesn't scrimp on the allocation of porters. We had 32! This may sound like a lot, but the price is so good and each of them plays a key role from chefs to guides.

Freddie is also a passionate conservationist and works closely with anti-poaching operations (they hope to start their own one day) to ensure the endangered animals in the area have the best chance of survival. This care comes through in everything the company does. Hence, when you go on Safari you have an authentic experience with the greatest of care for everything around you.

We took the Machame route up the mountain which was amazingly beautiful and very challenging. Thanks to the great support of the Tapac team we all made the summit together.

They then organised some down time in Zanzibar - great diving and relaxing on perfect beaches.

Overwhelmingly we felt very welcomed the entire time we we there by Freddie and the team. We met some great characters and had a really authentic, safe and fun experience. I would highly recommend Mt Kili and highly recommend if you are looking for any kind of a Tanzanian adventure, that you check out Tapac - tell Freddie Duncan sent you and you might even get a discount! ;)

3  Thank DuncanAlistair
Reviewed November 18, 2012

To enjoy Kilimanjaro, if you can not climb it. The Capricorn Hotel organize eco – friendly walks through the lush slopes of Africa’s highest mountain visiting small farms (Shambas), traditional homesteads, craft centres, waterfalls and experiencing the Chagga culture first hand

1  Thank RUMISHA M