“Karibu Adventure organized an unforgettable trip to Kilimanjaro ”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

I have done an amazing trip on Kilimanjaro. We used Karibu Adventure guides and climb up via lemosho route. Highly recommend the trip. If your going to hike Kilimanjaro, Karibu Adventure is the road to go. The guides were highly knowledgeable, we had health checks every morning and evening. The food was unbelievable it was hard to believe I was on top of a mountain! The trip was well organized and the equipment was top torch. The weather was not kind to us and it rained ever day. Other companies had pulled back because the client were sleeping in tent that couldn't keep the rain out. We never had an issue. My treatment aside, one of the most important I selected Karibu Adventure is because of their fair and ethical way of treating all of the stuff including porters. I saw other companies traveling up the mountain with porters that were ill equipped and sick. It was heartbreaking how some companies will treat their staff. Their is no way I could feel good about asking a person to carry my stuff up on the mountain when they are climbing in crocks and I'll fitting shoes. Karibu Adventure performs health checks on all their staff every night. For me it was a true treatment to how Karibu Adventure manages as a company. I will continue to work with Karibu Adventure on their other trips.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,693)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"sleeping bag"
in 142 reviews

Reviewed March 20, 2018 via mobile

My fiance and I wanted to climb Kili with a local company from Tanzania. We could not have been more pleased to climb with HantaExpedition! We smiled the whole way up Kilimanjaro with our guides Rama and John, and the entire team of porters and chef. (We did a private group) The food was great, the people were amazing, and Machame route to the summit was truly unforgettable. We would recommend HantaExpedition to everyone! They even made pick up from the airport super easy, checking our equipment and renting sleeping bags and rain gear seamless, and even driving us to Arusha when we finished the climb. Thanks everyone! Dream come true!

Reviewed March 20, 2018

Rayson was my guide when I climbed Kilimanjaro in January 2015. He is THE reason of my successful climb! I was very slow. No other health issue but no one needed to tell me the famous POLE-POLE (SLOW, SLOW IN SWAHILI) !!! But because of my slow speed, there was some kind of doubt as to my possibility to summit. He never told me to forget about it. He was solution-driven! He splitted the group in 2, carried my bag when needed (I felt bad about it but he kept smiling!) and even changed camp for the last night to make it possible for me. I will be forever grateful! I recommend this amazing guide and I'm convince that he choses his employees very well with his Kilipaa Tours business. Thumbs up. Stop looking. You just found an excellent price/quality Tours operator. Rayson will do everything possible to make your dreams come true!

Reviewed March 20, 2018

What can I add to a string of huge compliments to this wonderful company consisting of the most caring and amazing people. Owner Sabeno is so humble and nothing is a problem. We had a list of requests prior to our climb in February and absolutely everything was carried out without fuss or drama. We met a few times and his only concern is for us to a) reach the top and b) have a great time in doing so.
However, what matters most is what happens on the mountain. We have paid much less than with some foreign company who has to make their money in foreign currency. Yet we looked around each day and we got
a) the best food: 3 hot delicious meals including fresh salads whilst we saw others we got cold boxed food. Meja (Major General) must be the best chef on the mountain!
b) the best guides: Stanly is the man! Together with his off-sider Tadeous, nothing was too much and they looked after us as if we were kings. Think these two true gentlemen know everybody on the entire mountain as they were greeted by every porter and every other guide. And they told us how all other porters and guides would like to work for Popote Africa because staff is treated so well. Coming from a staff member, this is really important and we again felt we made the best choice.
c) The best tents. Our 'tunnel' tents were spacious, clean, comfortable and Dickson our camp manager always ensured we got the best spot at each campsite. We always arrived with tents pitched, mattresses (super comfy) ready and our gear waiting for us. Yet again, our tents were by far better than any competition.
d) The best porters and staff: Meschak our waiter was always there with a smile, hot water for washing but most important, walking with us to the top of the mountain to bring along some ginger tea!! Now that is service way beyond what anyone can expect. Yes, there is a lot of staff, but do remember you stuff needs to be carried, whether you one or 10 in your group, you and the staff need food, toilet, tents etc etc. And guys, if you really have to complain about tipping (as I read in some reviews), then don't go. You can't buy a car and then complain about the fact you have to add fuel all the time. These men go out of their way to assist and they deserve a gratuity. That is what they live off and the wage system in Africa is not like at home so don't expect that the whole of Africa must change to fit in with your system. Sorry, got a bit sidetrack with that rant.

It was an incredible experience and we were blown away with the little touches from Popote. Comfy chairs, clean toilet, extra assistance from Basecamp to the top, pop corn!, wonderful camping facilities.

Just do it!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 19, 2018 via mobile

We looked at a lot ( and I mean A LOT!!).. of the companies that did treks up Kili as well as safaris.
This was being done for a special birthday so it needed to be planned and with no disappointments. We knew we didn't want to be in a big crowd and we knew we wanted it over certain dates. After contacting some of the other companies and having to compromise a little with dates and numbers... We then found Majestic Kilimanjaro.

We discussed ideas and possibilities of dates, accommodation and things to do.. Steve (one of the owners) gave us options that we hadn't even thought about and made the trek sound even more appealing. We went back to him on a few occasions and he always came up with great ideas and options. I liked the company's outlook immediately and was impressed to learn about all that the company fed back into Tanzania and the investment within its' staff.

Once booked, we were kept up to date on progress and emailed before we left to say they looked forward to seeing us.

When we got off the plane we were met my the trek organiser, Tumaini. Lovely guy who picked us from the airport (in a lovely modern and air-conditioned bus). He carefully explained what would be happening the next day and who we would be meeting with. As it was our first time in Afirica and just us two women - I found this reassurring and felt that we could ask as many questions as we wanted.

Tumaini dropped us of at our accommodation and made sure we got booked in and were happy. After a long flight and and a bit of nerves, we knew we had made a great choice choosing this company.

Accomodation was very comfortable and staff were friendly. Bank (which was very handy) was just a 5 minute walk up the road.. We managed to get out for a look around Arusha and sample some of the delights. Later that day we met our guide for the trek, Kefas. I cannot say enough about this man and his assistant guide, Frank... fabulous.. both of them.

Kefas explained to us what the plan was for the following day (which was the start of our 6 day trek via the Rongai Route)... He asked questions about our hopes for the trek and checked our equipment. He also explained some of the experiences we may have due to the altitude and that if had any worries or concerns to tell him and he would help. He explained that he and his team were to be our friends and family over the next 6 days and that together we would get to the top of the mountain. We felt reassured and excited after speaking to Kefas and couldn't wait to get started the next day.

Pick up was prompt from the hotel and Kefas made sure we were comfortable and drinking bottled water straight away. We drove out to the start of the park and picked up the team along the way. All the guys were polite and really helpful. Once we arrived, there was a quick lunch and Kefas got us registered at the parks entrance.... then we were off!

Over the next 6 days we were waited on hand and foot by Kefas and his team. Each morning and evening Frank or Kefas would join us after we had eaten and chat about how we are feeling, check if we were eating/drinking enough and if we had any worries or concerns... nothing was too much trouble and everything was attended to. No complaints whatsoever was our reply.

The team worked really, REALLY hard over the 6 days... our tent was always ready for us to get inside and food was tasty and varied. We always had clean, safe water provided and didn't need to use any sterilisation. As the days progressed we got to know Kefas and Frank a lot more and they were interesting to listen to about life in Tanzania and how proud they were of the mountain and country. I personally really enjoyed this and had noticed some of the other tour groups that we had passed along the route didn't seem to have that contact with their guides. Lots of groups were quite large and they looked like cattle being driven along the path. I was so pleased we had chosen Majestic Kilimanjaro... ours was a much happier and enjoyable experience.

The summit of the mountain was hard for me. Both physically and mentally... and I will honestly admit that I would not have got to the top without Kefas and Frank. They were simply brilliant. Supportive, encouraging and kind. We passed and were passed ourselves by a number of groups who seemed to have their guides shouting and whooping up the mountain. Personally I would have disliked this intensely and if anything I would have wanted to get away from that environment.

It took us 8 hours 10 mins to get to the top of Kilimanjaro.... it was an experience that I will never forget and an achievement that I'm very proud of. We would never have done it without the support and encouragement of Majestic Kilimanjaro and we cannot recomended them highly enough and their staff. Thanks for getting us up there guys... you were simply wonderful.

Thinking that experience couldn't be matched, we met our second guide from Majestic the day we got back from the trek. Due to the limited time we had, we had to cram in as much as possible and Majestic were seamless in arranging this and things went like clockwork.

We sat and listened to Benno as he gave us an over view of the itinerary for the next few days. We had chosen to go to Tarangerie National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater for a wildlife safari. Benno gave us examples of the animals we were likely to see answered our questions and gave sound advice on what to wear so that we wouldn't be bitten by insects.

The following day was amazing... We made a quick detour for some gift buying and then whisked off to be nice and early for the first Park. Animals were plenty full and numerous, birds and animals everywhere. An elephant family came within three feet of us and Benno knew exactly where they would go to and went round to the next spot for more photos. Managed to get amazing photos that will stay with me forever.. examples of animals seen were elephants, giraffes, lions, gazelle, monkeys and many, many birds.

That evening we stayed at Acacia Lodge... beautiful place and I've done a separate review on this.

The following morning Benno was waiting for us just after breakfast and we were on our way to our next safari. The crater was massive and Benno knew it like the back of his hand. We were spoilt rotten with the animals that we saw... absolutely brilliant time and we would go back and do it all again with Benno in a heartbeat.

On the whole we cannot fault Majestic Kilimanjaro. They ticked every single box for us and as it was our first visit to Tanzania made it a very special place and gave us wonderful memories of it. If you're looking to do either of these trips DEFINITELY book it with these guys - you will not regret it.