“Kili with Tusker - unbeatable experience”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed November 14, 2016

Three of us climbed Kilimanjaro in September of 2016. We knew beforehand that choice of guiding company would be one of the most crucial decisions we would make, and after much research and deliberation we picked Tusker Trail. Writing now post-climb, I couldn't be happier with that choice. From the pre-trip material Tusker sent us (recommended training regime, recommended gear lists, recommended medical considerations, etc) to the personalized contact and service pre-trip (hi, Haley!), to the very well-organized logistics pre-, during, and post-climb, we felt ourselves to be in extremely competent and capable hands at all times.

We investigated more economical options, and discarded them all as either inappropriate for our circumstances or extremely ill-advised in terms of failing to meet a number of critical criteria, not the least of which were safety and security.

On the climb itself (Lemosho route) we encountered climbers in different groups using different guides. It was very informative to learn that some groups had some of the same amenities we did, and other groups had other amenities that we did. We didn't encounter a single group that reported having all the same amenities that we did, whether it was comprehensive medical checks at least twice daily, excellent food (we had spaghetti bolognese one night!), an adequate supply of clean, potable water, thick air mattresses and cold-weather rated sleeping bags, portable toilet, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure it's very possible to climb the mountain with fewer amenities and comfort - heck, we saw groups doing it. We also saw climbers who had no business being on the mountain (for reasons of completely inadequate clothing, for reasons of being completely disoriented and incapable well before the summit, etc), who had clearly decided to pick more economical guides.

We also directly experienced the "Tusker effect", in which climbers and guides who run into difficulty seek out the Tusker guides for help: on our descent day, a small group of climbers ran out of water and their guide approached ours for help. Of course, the Tusker guides helped out and gave them the water they needed. I have no doubt those climbers paid less than we did for their experience, and I'm glad Tusker was able to help. Let's just say there was no question we were going to run out of anything.

People die on Kilimanjaro every year; although I'm sure that sounds a bit dramatic we were determined that we were not going to be among them. If you're young, fit, and already know that you will perform well at altitude, fill your boots. If those things are not as true as you would prefer them to be, don't take chances. Invest in the best security and peace of mind you can, and pick Tusker.

2  Thank drb8053
Write a ReviewReviews (3,387)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"every meal"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed November 14, 2016

The mountain is beautiful at every point, and although it is very gruelling the trip is so gratifying. I chose to climb with Barafu Tours after months of planning and researching, and everyone in my team summited successful from the lemosho route. Highlights included Barranco Wall - it looks scary but is one of the funnest parts of the route!

I would highly recommend Barafu to anyone searching for a dedicated and organised, small local company. Chance's communication before was excellent, and all of the guides and porters were outstanding. I was travelling alone, and happened to be the only female in my group! But I never felt alone and was well taken care of by every member of the crew. The support on summit night was encouraging, and I enjoyed every moment of the trip.

1  Thank rannerobs
Reviewed November 13, 2016

Rayson and his team were our guide up Kili and I cannot speak highly enough of him and his team. They were professional, organised, fun and made the climb a memorable one. Their preparation was immaculate - the tents were very comfortable and the food was delicious. We are still amazed at the quality of the food with such a relatively small amount of resources. Without their patience and support we would not have made it to the summit in time for sunrise. Their local knowledge and experience was invaluable - they even organised an evacuation for one of us on our way down from the summit. I would highly recommend Rayson and his team for anyone considering climbing Kili.

1  Thank Vasussewitz
Reviewed November 13, 2016

We spent just one day of trekking on Kilimanjaro. The trip is quite hard and long and I would recommend it just for people who are used to this kind of long trekking.
We walked about 18 kilometers in 7 hours but I can ensure that is absolutely fantastic.
We were lucky and we could see the Kilimanjaro hat thanks to the good weather.
The two guides that were with us were not so eloquent but they were careful and patient.
Very nice trip!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 12, 2016

I climbed Kilimanjaro for charity, Dig deep, which made my sense of achievement even greater.

Climbing Kilimanjaro was the hardest thing i have ever had to do in life. It is more of a mental challenge than physical, and i know that i would not have been able to climb it without the help from my team. We had a team of 92, and they made my entire team, a group of 28, feel comfortable, safe and secure. The two head guides were Nelson and Jeffery, and they were fantastic, especially for Summit night where they helped me in particular, and it is fair to say that i would not have been able to reach the top without them.

I would strongly recommend 'Trek2Kili' to anyone who wishes to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, or another activity that they provide. Sadly, porters are mistreated, and are not given a fair pay, or forced to carry equipment over the legal limit, and i am proud to say that 'trek2kili' does not do this. Porters are not mistreated, but are treated with the respect that they deserve.

1  Thank sophia012016