“Great experience”

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 19, 2016

Just got back from Kilimanjaro (Machame 6-day trek) a week back and had a great time. The entire trek / route was very beautiful and the people / crew were great. I used Kilimanjaro Tanzanite Safari and it was a really good experience. It's very good value for money when compared to some of the more expensive tour operators. The guides and porters were also very nice and helpful during the entire trek. Andrew is also very prompt and responsive. Overall it was a great experience and I'd definitely recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,386)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"every meal"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed July 17, 2016

Spent 6 days on the Machame Route with the Kilimanjaro Climbing Co. Reached the summit on A bright cold morning that was just wonderful.

Reviewed July 17, 2016

I started my climb on the 8th of June 2016. After reviews on TA I decided to do the 7 day Machame route with Focus in Africa. I was alone and was placed with a french girl who'm was also alone. I was very happy to have her company.
First of all, I must say that the crew at Focus in Africa is truly amazing. Our guides Babaluu and Chelsea were very experienced and made us feel at ease all the time. They do everything within their power to get you to the summit. And we couldn't have made it without our cook Emanuel who made sure that we were well fed with delicious and nutritious food all the way up.
The climb up Machame route is breath taking. The views are so impressive, they can't be expressed by words, or even by pictures. The climbing itself can be difficult at times, especially if you are untrained like me. I started feeling sick from the altitude at lava rock (4600m) and I refused to take diamox or other medication as that felt like cheating to me. But babaluu kept reassuring and complementing us and we both made it to Uhuru peak at 06:00, just in time to see the first rays of sunlight come over the mountain which was truly magical. I am very happy that I had this experience with you guys.

I do have some criticism for Nelson, the owner of Focus in Africa. He is a very busy business man and I think this is the reason that I had some difficult communication with him. At first enquiry he was very responsive, but after I send him a (fairly large) deposit, his responses to emails came slower and sometimes not at all. Now if you are a western person like me it is already a big deal to send a lot of money to an African country to a person you have never met. It is then not very reassuring when the communication is troublesome after you sent your deposit. Even when I was there and had direct text message contact with him, it was sometimes still slow.
I'm happy that it all worked out in the end, but I strongly advise Nelson to work on his communication or hire someone to do it for him. Again, this has nothing to do with the rest of the crew at Focus in Africa, who'm were truly amazing. This includes the guys that I went on safari with.

1  Thank sp0rtl1fe
Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

Unbelievable experience all thanks to African Walking Company. They totally exceeded our groups expectations and there were 14 of us! 51 porters and guides took us up the mountain. And all 14 of us summited! That's a 100% success rate. We believe it's all because of the guides. The food was outstanding and we ate like kings and queens. They had our own portable toilet that was cleaned every few hours. Thank god as some of the other groups not with AWC had to use the awful hole in the grounds!
Jeremiah and seraphin were our favourite guides. They looked after us so well. I can't recommend them enough.
Also good to know that African walking company pay the porters/guides better than most other companies . This is important as this is a harsh job in a very poor community

See more reviews
Reviewed July 15, 2016

I just completed 7 days on the Lemosho trail, what a fabulous trip! I went with Step Bush Safaris and was not disappointed. All 5 us in my group summited!
The Step Bush Safaris manager answered all my questions immediately and put together a group of 5 hikers. Each one of us comments how we couldn't have put together a better group, guides and porters. Our guides although wanting all of us to summit, it was obvious their priority was first and foremost, our health and safety. I have already highly recommended Step Bush Safaris to several friends.

3  Thank richard g