“Read this before booking a kilimanjaro climb, it might seriously save your life!”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed November 20, 2015

This review is designed for anyone who has made the decision to climb Kilimanjaro but has not yet chosen a guide company.

Let me start off by saying you should definitely find out if your guide company carries bottled oxygen on the climbs and if the guides perform daily health checks on you during the climb.

Think that stuff doesn't matter? Think you would never need any medical assistance on the mountain? Think again.

I recently went on a 9 day climb of Kilimanjaro with Ultimate Kilimanjaro and found out the hard way that altitude sickness truly can strike anyone at any time regardless of fitness level or previous experience at altitude. I had read that prior to my trip but I honestly didn't think it could happen to me.

A brief background on me, I am 31 year old male who regularly hikes 7-10 mile trails that feature large changes in elevation in rocky terrain and I go the the gym 4 days per week for at least one hour each session.
I have climbed three 14ers in Colorado and have been above 10,000 feet while hiking and snowboarding at least 50 times in my life. I had never felt any symptoms of altitude sickness during any of those previous trips to altitude.

Hiking and camping are two of my favorite things to do so I am very familiar with being out on the trail and sleeping in tents.

Starting on day 4, the guides had been watching me very closely because I started to score poorly on my daily health checks. However, something severe hit me on day 5 of my Kili climb that required the guides to give me bottled oxygen and take me down the mountain. I am still not sure exactly what happened to me but I am certain without the quick diagnosis and response from my Ultimate Kilimanjaro guides that I very well could have gone into a coma or worse.

So please stop and ask yourself, if altitude sickness hits you on Kili, do you really want to be with a guide company that hasn't been monitoring your health and doesn't have bottled oxygen? A few hours can mean the difference between living and dying.

15  Thank TravelingHiker678
Write a ReviewReviews (3,384)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"every meal"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed November 20, 2015

After treatment for cancer I wanted to show that I was now strong and more in control of my life!
I was 60 years old, not in great shape after chemo but I worked for a year at training and climbed to the top of the mountain with my husband and son and my great guide Ramson Swai!
It was a thrill of a life time! Ramson kept an eye on each of us, pacing everything to our needs!
I would recommend this company.

3  Thank jeanellis
Reviewed November 18, 2015

Climbing Kilimanjaro was an amazing experience! We were a group of 10 family members. We booked the trip with Climb Kili because we were impressed with their safety precautions, treatment of porters and staff and their success rate. The guides, porters and all of the support crew were wonderful. They were friendly, helpful and encouraging. The hike was amazing. Starting in the rain forest and going through the moorland and other climate zones was fascinating. We were really pleased that we all summited. It was definitely harder for some people in our group and easier for others. Prepare yourself by hiking and be sure you do some high altitude hikes. We also booked a three day safari with Climb Kili and it was fantastic as well.

3  Thank rlsharmon
Reviewed November 17, 2015

Climbing Kilimanjaro was one of the best adventures I had in my life. We decided to take the Lemosho Route and it was a great idea. First 3 days we were practically alone on the route which was an amazing sensation.
The 3rd day we got the point where Lemosho meets Machame Route which is one of the most trafficked on the mountain. The charm of climbing alone disappeared from that point.
The whole experience was unforgettable thanks to the guys from the POPOTE AFRICA ADVENTURES who took good care of us. They were very professional , helpful and we became friends immediately.
If you are looking for a local company with reasonable prices and professional staff POPOTE AFRICA is the one to consider.
The summit night was way more difficult than we have expected. We got the high altitude sickness which made the summit reach even more challenging.
Over all one of the best thing you would do in your life!!!!

4  Thank Marcin G
See more reviews
Reviewed November 17, 2015

So, we succeeded. I never imagined that it can be done, but we succeeded. To tell the truth, this was an experience of a life time and anyone who really likes hiking, breath taking scenery, climate change and wonderful commraderie must hike Kilimanjaro.
We were recommended to use Popote Africa Adventure through friends in Tanzania who had climbed with them before. We chose to do the 7 day Machame route and were really impressed with the support, care and attention we were given from our guides , I personally couldn't have done it without our excellent guides Nixon (chief guide) and Menace ( assistant guide).
Everything on the trip was perfectly organized with very experienced staff and great care, vegetarian food was promised and supplied with quality and variety. Our clothing and equipment were checked prior to leaving and during the climb encouragement was provided frequently. We spent four days after the climb on safari, which was also planned by Popote Africa Adventure. This was an amazing vacation
Popote Africa Adventure also supports a number of community projects and this is an added reason to book with them
If you are considering climbing Mt Kilimanjaro and/or going on safari, you really must book your trip with Popote Africa Adventure for the very best care and comfort.!!!

1  Thank steve a