Open today: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

from $2,185.90
from $2,041.03
from $1,474.36
1,858 results
All reviews lemosho route tro peaks african walking company mar tours uhuru peak summit night altitude sickness peak planet pole pole high altitude climate zones good luck local company base camp once in a lifetime tour company whole team
Selected filters
Reviewed February 22, 2015

Amazing sunrise on summit day, what an experience! We had a great trek, taking the Lemosho route and coming all the way down from the summit 4000m!

Reviewed February 21, 2015 via mobile

Actually climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in 2009 but having seen other reviews on Tripadvisor thought I'd share my experience too. Having said that there's not a lot more to add having looked at the other reviews but what I would share is a few succinct tips for those planning climbing the mountain.
1) Do your research carefully on the companies offering the trip. I did it with The Adventure Company, and all in all would recommend them.
2) Look for a less popular route. I did the Rongai route that used to be regularly chosen until a few issues with Kenyan baddies and choice of armed accompaniment additional expense! However think those "issues" now resolved and it is coming back in vogue. The most popular route - Marangu offers more creature comforts in terms of accommodation i.e. huts over canvas but we came down this route and the large numbers of people said it all.
3) Try and take a trip that takes as long as possible, admittedly this will add to your experience of quite horrendous drop toilets, increasingly basic rations and uncomfortable sleeping at night but it will allow you to acclimatise better and allow your body to deal with the altitude. Most companies will err to the minimum as that obviously saves wonga.
4) Do as much walking/getting fit before you go! I underestimated the task ahead and suffered as a consequence. The chap I shared a tent with had been doing regular training weekends in the Brecons and it showed.
5) Make sure you have good travel insurance that includes climbing at altitude and that it will cover helicopter rescue..one of our group descended that way..!
6) Try and get a direct flight as possible, we flew from Heathrow with Ethiopian Airlines via Adis Ababa. A couple of others had flown direct from Amsterdam to Mount Kilimanjaro airport I think with KLM, a very wise move!
7) Ensure you have the best kit. May sound obvious but even my insulated camel back water carrier tube froze on the final ascent.
8) Take additional provisions like protein bars and energy tablets. These will taste like manna from heaven when your thighs feel like someone has bashed them with a sledgehammer after a hard day!
9) Ensure you take extra cash -dollars or sterling. Tipping the porters is supposed to be discretionary but in reality obligatory.

Hope the above helpful - it really is a fantastic rewarding journey and one you certainly won't forget!

4  Thank Nos6
Reviewed February 19, 2015

First and foremost, unless you're absolutely sure you can avoid altitude sickness (by method of training in specialist rooms/environments) then I'd avoid the 6 day climb and do the 7 or longer.

With that out of the way - WOW.

I was lucky. Very very lucky! Sure, it hurt. Lack of sleep and long, long days and a very challenging climb all combined to make this the single, hardest thing I've ever done. Was it worth it? Of course it was. :)

The mountain is beautiful - especially the summit. I used "Really Wild Challenges" alongside 36 other people (a large group by all accounts as it was charity driven). I made new (life long) friends and ticked one hell of a box.

Just go in with an open mind. Pole pole. Take it slow. Do as you're told and you are in for a treat (a tough, evil, unforgiving, treat).

Oh, and look up at night. For me, the stars were the.. oh, um, "star" of the trip for me.

1  Thank Daniel W
Reviewed February 19, 2015

Just returned from Kili Climb, 7 days via the Machame route. The scenery changed each day and the view from the summit was well worth the effort. Our guide, cook, and porters were amazing and really made for a memorable trip. You are required to have a local guide to do the climb. I was surprised to learn that most tour companies do not employ the guides but instead contract with them when they have a client. The guides and their teams are compensated very little outside the tips received. I was very satisfied but wish I could have booked directly with my local guide and cut out the tour company. These men work very hard and should be compensated for their hard work. Anyone interested in the contact information of a great local guide, just message me.

9  Thank Kelli L
Reviewed February 19, 2015 via mobile

We did the organized climb with IMG. Had a fantastic guide from the U.S., as well as the best Chagga guides. The trek was fun, intense, challenging, full of beautiful scenery and great camaraderie. The food was excellent. The two-person tents were clean and roomy. The 7 day your was perfect for acclimatization. Two people on our trip got mild altitude sickness, which cleared up in fewer than 24 hours with the help of Diamox. Every one of our 7-person group summited. It was incredible.

I only wish I had brought a pack cover and a rain poncho. The literature suggested both, but I chose to ignore that advice. They would have been nice to have. Goretex shells worked well, however.