“Kilimanjaro Crew”

Overnight tour to Amboseli National Park
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Our group of 4 climbed Mt Kilimanjaro (6 day Rongai Route) in November 2014 with Kilimanjaro Crew. We found the company online and were pleased with the amount of information provided on the website. The company is based in Moshi, Tanzania and the prices offered were very reasonable.

John (the manager) was very helpful throughout the booking process, responding to our emails promptly. On arrival at Kilimanjaro Airport, John and his driver picked us up and transported us to Kindoroko Hotel in Moshi. We really appreciated John’s assistance with buying and registering our Tanzanian SIM cards. At the hotel, we were briefly introduced to our head guide (Musa) and assistant guide (Deus).
The next morning, we were picked up by the crew and began our trek. The trek itself was challenging and altitude sickness made it extremely difficult at times (despite being on Diamox). However, the whole crew was amazing throughout. In particular, we cannot compliment our guides Musa and Deus enough. Both were experienced, very encouraging, and always looked out for us. Day 4 (summit day) was very tough – we all summited thanks to these two exceptional guides and our summit porter. We ended up completing the hike in 5 days (instead of 6). The scenery was incredible, from the Rongai forest on day 1 through the moorland and desert zones to the glaciers at the summit.

In all, we had a crew of 15 people (2 guides, 1 chef, 1 serviceperson/waiter, 11 porters), all of whom were friendly and supportive. We were woken up every morning with tea/coffee/Milo and were given three hot meals a day plus an afternoon tea break. The chef did a fantastic job providing us with a variety of food. Just be aware of some extra costs: climbing gear, sleeping bags and other equipment can be hired and there is an expectation that each crew member will be tipped at the end of the trip.

We are all very pleased with the experience and would recommend Kilimanjaro Crew to anyone looking to climb Mt Kilimanjaro.

2  Thank Dinuksha
Write a ReviewReviews (3,684)
All reviews
in 55 reviews
"sleeping bag"
in 142 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2014

The 6 days trip was tougher than I thought, but what a great trip!
If you travel alone, I would recommend to book with a bigger group.

2  Thank M0rten91
Reviewed December 4, 2014

I am scheduled to hike Kili on Feb 2015...just a question. For those of you who have used Ahsante tours and Wild secret safaris? I kindly request info.... pros and cons of these two companies???
Much appreciated!

3  Thank livelaughLOVE254
Reviewed December 4, 2014

I did Kilimanjaro a few years ago, for charity. I hate exercise and the outdoors, but I was doing it in memory of my dad and that is what kept me going. I trained hard to get fit, and deliberately chose a slow route (Lemosho) to give myself the highest chance of succeeding. Unfortunately I went with an organisation where you all booked a place for your charity so I didn't know anyone until I got to Heathrow airport, and in hindsight this was a mistake. I was more often than not left behind to walk on my own and therefore I found the whole experience lonely and unenjoyable-this was down to the people rather than the company or location though and please don't let this stop you from going. I made it to the top, and can now look back on an absolutely amazing experience, quite life changing in many ways. I was so far out of my comfort zone, but I succeeded. The guides and food were excellent and we were well looked after. I will never forget walking through the jungle at the bottom, with Colobus monkeys swinging overhead, right through to seeing glaciers on summit night. If you like the outdoors you will love this, and even if you don't, it will still be an amazing experience. My group had 100% success as it was the slowest route and I would recommend you take the extra day or two and do it slowly if you goal is to reach the top-we saw some very ill people being carried off the mountain and it is not worth risking your life for.

4  Thank qprvicky
See more reviews
Reviewed December 3, 2014

Firstly, my trek on the whole was amazing. Nelson and the crew were extremely accommodating, always polite and helpful. Nothing would have been too much trouble for them. Nelson was very knowledgeable and always happy to chat. It was nice to be able to talk with the whole group before/after dinner given I was a solo climber and missed out on the social aspects of climbing with a partner or a group. I had no idea it required to many staff to get just me up the mountain, I was very surprised to have a crew of 7 for just me.
I feel terrible that I cannot remember the name of one of the porters who made a special effort to come back to me and Nelson on a few of the days and walk with us and carry my day pack or Nelsons pack for me. It wasn't required or asked for, and was extra walking/carrying for him, but it was great of him, and he was always happy.
The meals were great! Huge and far more than I could eat, I felt bad for not finishing my meals, but they were always delicious, hot, well prepared, and great variety. And the packed lunches were great also. (Edward was my chef)
I did not expect to have a private/portable toilet, it was very surprising, and unnecessary, but nice all the same. I would of been happy to use the public/porters toilets in the camps. All the equipment was in good order and good quality. The hire gear was good quality, but I did only use it on the last night for the ascent.
Booking was easy and uncomplicated, the hotel the night before and after was lovely and nicer than I had expected, and the transfers easy.
Nelson kept me going on the final ascent when I was freezing cold and half thinking to turn back, I really appreciated his help and encouragement to get me to the summit. I would happily recommend the guys at Climbkili.com to anyone!

4  Thank Nikkiema S