“Tusker Trails, the best choice to climb Kilimanjaro”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro
Book In Advance
$450.00*
Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
$250.00*
and up
Amboseli national park day tour from Nairobi
$362.00*
Day Trip to Amboseli National Park from Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Myself, my husband and our 16 year old son embarked on a once in a lifetime trip to attempt to climb Kilimanjaro via the Lemosho Route in July/August of this year 2013. First off, I just want to say that just after several minutes after meeting our guides Nemes and Shabani, I knew we were in good hands. After our initiation, we were given bracelets that indicated that we were part of the Tusker Family!! Sound Lame?? I don't think so, that's exactly how they made us feel and all three of us have never taken them off since we got home. It's really hard to explain but I look at mine and I know that I want it to be there forever. These guys really made it special. We spent 2 days in Moshi and then began the climb on July 28th and I am happy to say that we reached Uhuru Peak, the summit of Kilimanjaro at 2:30 pm on August 3rd 2013. We had absolutely no issues with altitude, save a couple of minor headaches on and off. I was paranoid that I was going to suffer badly as I had never been at this kind of altitude before, but that fear soon disappeared as we began to progress to the roof of africa. This route is most definitely the best to take for altitude adjustment, but also the care that was taken of us by the Tusker Guides to ensure that we were healthy was second to none, twice daily health checks, pulse/ox readings, and constant communication made everyone feel safe and secure. I cannot thank Nemes and Shabani enough for an absolutely fantastic trip, they were just the best guides ever. My son had so many questions and comments, which were always encouraged, but they never got tired of answering him and along the way they had some great laughs, as we all did. It is an experience that we will never forget, and I have to say that it would not have been possible without the rest of our crew too, Pascoe who carried the hyperbaric bag and medical equipment, Steve who ensured that all of our water was drinkable, our chefs Eric and Benson (trained by the Culinary Institute of America, no less) who were always so happy and personable and always aimed to please and made sure that we ate sensibly and adequately, our waiter Reagan who was always so cheerful and happy, our toilet tent attendant by the name of "Helicopter," he ensured that our private toilet tent was kept clean and smelling delightful and I can say that he never disappointed (this guy deserves a medal), and last but definitely not least, all of the porters who made this whole trip not just a possibility but an absolutely memorable time and they need to know that there is no way on earth that we could have done it without all of them. I thank all of you for a fantastic trip and we will remember you so vividly, particularly after the send off you gave us before we left Mweka Camp. The songs you sang to us, your singing skills that were impeccable and the dancing that was addictive, Wow, we were blown away, fantastic is all I can say, I had tears in my eyes. If anyone is unsure who to climb with, look no further, Tusker is THE only way to go. Not only do they look after you but they also take great care of their porters too, (which is imperative if you are going to be successful) sadly, this is something that can't be said for some of the other companies out there. We had first hand view of how porters from other companies were teated! We left Moshi for a 6 day safari the next day which was arranged by Jaime from Tusker Trails, and all I can say is Thank-you. Our safari guide Elias was amazing, he spotted every animal from such ridiculous distances and was right every time. My son really wanted to see the big 5, err done in the first couple of days.... and we just continued to get lucky with everything to the point of the last day when our guide saw from afar what looked like a Leopard on a rock, we got closer and yes it was a Leopard, but not just one, within minutes they were mating, and not just once, it was an incredible experience.... life in the wild.... Thanks Elias...you truly were the bomb.

3  Thank annstill1964
Write a ReviewReviews (3,124)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We climbed in KIlimanjaro over 7days booked through Focus In Africa, and we had a great experience at a very good price. The team of porters and lead guides were very accommodating and very experienced which was very assuring. The food was way beyond what we expected, major thanks to Nelson, Simon, Babyloo and the team. We went on to do a two day safari which was all sorted out by FIA and once again they did not disappoint.

1  Thank BarryBarryWatson
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently successfully climbed Kilimajaro as a family with Private Expeditions/Private Kilimanjaro using the Lemosho 8 day route. My initial tentative email to the company was answered both promptly & knowledgeably and once I found out that they are one of the few Kilimanjaro operators that are recognised by the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project and actually pay their porters properly, it was a done deal. We went on safari before the climb & spent 8 days in Zanzibar after the climb & all went without a hitch from being met at the airport at the start by a Private Kilimanjaro representative to being dropped of at Zanzibar airport at the end - we didn't have to do any organising at all!
The climb itself was superb, the guides (Gaston & Justin) ensured that we walked at a good slow & steady pace, we never felt tired at any stage or out of breath. We had a health check every day which was very reassuring and Gaston & Justin took time to explain what we'd be doing every day and why we did certain things that other operators didn't bother with - like climbing a bit higher after we'd reached some camps and then going down again. We had huge confidance in our guides and even tackling the summit didn't seem unduly daunting, probably due to how smoothly the first six days had gone.
If you're thinking about climbing Kilimanjaro, care about how porters are treated (& we saw some shocking things on the mountain from other trekking companies) and want an absolutely superb company to do it with, then Private Expeditions is the one to choose!

2  Thank JLKP
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had a great experience with Zara Tours. Our guides were wonderful and everyone in our group made it to the summit. Bring a warm sleeping bag and a mat...it's cold up there!

2  Thank Maryann S
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I just got back from completing the 8 day Lemosho Route with Zara Tours and had a great experience. Richard, Johnson and Albert, our guides were wonderful and never doubted that we could make it. Everyone in our group reached the summit, nine of us to Uhuru and one (76 year old!) to Stella Peak. The hike off the mountain on summit day was the most grueling....16 straight hours of hiking, and on 0 hours of sleep. Bring your own warm sleeping bag and an extra pad, the rentals were pretty thin. We all took Acetazolamide (125 mg twice a day) from the first day of the hike and did well with the altitude.