“My Awesome Climbing Kilimanjaro Experience With Jipe Trekking and Safaris”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

Mount Kilimanjaro Short Trek from Arusha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just got back from climbing the Kilimanjaro with the Jipe Trekking and Safaris agency.
First of all, the mountain is so beautiful and reach with many kinds of climate zones, which makes this trip a real adventure.
Climbing the Kili with Jipe Trekking and Safaris was great for me, the guides were very knowledgeable and gave many tips throughout the trip, which helped me reach the summit.
The porters, cook and the rest of the crew were very nice and always wanted to help.
Above all, Francis, which manages this agency, helped me a lot in planing this trip to Tanzania with lots of relevant information. His kind and professional attitude just made this trip even better.

Jipe Trekking and safaris contact details:
Email: info@jipetrekkingandsafaris.com, or Francism814@gmail.com
Website: www.jipetrekkingandsafaris.com
Mobile: +255755232827, +255682288100

2  Thank Erez V
Write a ReviewReviews (3,387)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"every meal"
in 55 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I am happy to report that I had a great experience with Climb Kili in June 2013. The guides were knowledgable about altitude and mountaineering and had all the correct safety and rescue gear. The food was really great, thanks to Simon the cook who made every soup from scratch and the porters were personable and friendly. Also, the gear was top quality although we had a zipper on our mountain hardware tent that was very stubborn. I went with one other American who I only met the morning we departed, but it worked out well. We were able to meet other trekkers in the campsites at night. Also, communications and email contacts were strong with this company. My questions were answered easily.

Overall a very positive experience.

6  Thank Kate G
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I climbed kili using machame route with guide myuni and had an incredible experience. Mr. Evarist took care of the financial aspects (which, after doing countless weeks of research, gave the best prices hands down). While some are curious about whether the porters are being treated well enough, I can assure you that they are not being cheated (however a good tip is always common courtesy).
As far as the trip, I was first met by my guide at around 0330 A.M at kilimanjaro airport, afterwhich he took me to my guesthouse. The day after he helped me organize all my equipment and took me out in town to show me around. Then we climbed. Myuni was very intelligent and knew every plant and its history in the mountains. He was an excellent coach in "pole pole" (even though I never listened, and kept a fast pace. He was cool with that too)
The equipment was very good, as my tent was very windproof. However, its cold on the mountains so bring good sleeping bags. The Cook was absolutely fantastic (name was dixon if I remember correctly) and would make amazing meals with cucumber soup every night. There was also tea served every meal.
The porters were very friendly and were always concerned for your well being. I had a day where I got a bit sick from altitude, and they were all concerned for me and gave me a bunch of advice to fight through it.
When I was done, they also provided airport transfer for me when my flight was at 3 AM. They will always work around your schedule and are well worth the money to book. Trust me, coming from a pretty picky American from nyc, these guys are awesome.
These guys will definitely get you to the summit if you are physically fit and have the right mindset. Thanks a lot guys! Mambo!! Poa poa!!

7  Thank Yadiputra
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Climbed the Machame Route in May 2013 with 2 other friends:

I seriously can't say enough good things about our team from Amani Afrika; they were the reason we all made it up and down safely. From the start, it was clear that Temba, the head of the company, is committed to doing things the right way. Our equipment was top-notch all around, from the highest-grade sleeping bags and tents to hiking poles, ensuring that we were as warm and comfortable as possible during the climb. Amani also hired a large team (2 guides + 14 porters), which is a big deal considering the fact that this is a big determinant on how loaded your team is (lighter loads = happier crew = happier climbers) and that many other companies mistreat their crews. Our two guides Zawadi and Merinyo were always professional, making sure the pace was appropriate for everybody and constantly vigilant for signs of altitude sickness. They also took the time to make sure we were also having a fun time, cracking jokes all the way up and down and making an effort to hang out with us in camp. The rest of the guys were great as well, and some of the best memories from the trip are of playing cards with everybody in the mess tent. One day, after a tough hike when tempers were running high, the crew broke out into song when we reached camp to cheer us up. And on the brutal summit day/night, some members of the crew basically carried a guy from our party who was suffering from bad altitude sickness down the perilous descent. Seriously could not have asked for more from these guys, and my only regret regarding the company is selfishly not giving my shoes to a crew member at the end. On top of all this, Temba himself is a really interesting guy with an amazing story, which we learned when he showed us around town on a free day just because he wanted to be nice.

As for the climb itself, the Machame Route was supposed to be the most spectacular route, and it was exactly as advertised. From Day 2 onwards we were treated to breathtaking views of Mt. Meru and the clouds/terrain beneath us on one end and the summit on the other. It was also amazing to see how the terrain could change from day to day, starting from the rainforest and moving through heather, moorland, and alpine desert until you reach the icy moonscape near the top, with corresponding changes to the vegetation. Interesting stuff that really takes your mind off any soreness you may experience. Physically it was tough but not impossible given that we were taking it slow ("pole pole") and drinking plenty of water.

5  Thank Ryan K