“Thompson vs Tusker (check out Tusker)”
Review of Mount Kilimanjaro

$362.00*
Day Trip to Amboseli National Park from Nairobi
$350.00*
and up
Amboseli national park day tour from Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Searching for a reputable tour operator with at a fair price point to climb Kilimanjaro can be overwhelming. I was looking for a company with a high success rate. This was not a race, it was a once in a lifetime experience for me. I chose a 10 day Northern Route that Circumvented the mountain because of it's high success rate with Thompson Safaris. I summited in January 2013 with excellent guides, porters, support, camps, meals. It was a goal achieved, and feeling of accomplishment I will never forget.

While I had an excellent experience with Thompson, what I did see, however were TUSKER tents, guides, and guests at various camps we stayed at. The quality of care, the appearance of their camp, guides, and team looked so professional and impressive that I looked the Tusker Company up when I got home. Remarkable things about TUSKER - Experience, leadership, credentials, number of guides on a climb, evacuation system, food, and the owner Eddie Frank has summited Kilimanjaro 47 times. He is a high altitude consultant to the US army.

TUSKER Kilimanjaro climbs have experience, leadership and safety, longer times to acclimatize on the mountain than most tour operators that I found, and are anywhere from $2,000.00 to $4,000.00 less expensive than Thompson particularly when you factor in 12 to 14 days on the mountain vs 10 days for acclimatization.

My experience with Thompson was excellent experience, but the experience and training of TUSKER and their professional porters, guides, camps, and PRICE will make it a choice of Guides for me for several other adventures and goals I have planned.

8  Thank oneworldonerace
There are newer reviews for Mount Kilimanjaro

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I just returned from nearly 2 weeks in Tanzania that included a climb of Kilimanjaro and a few days of safari. We had a great trip, all arranged by George Mtaki of Kilimanjaro Brothers. We chose the Rongai route. It's interesting reading about it again in retrospect. Seems many think it not interesting, etc. I loved it. We had extra day of acclimitization which is so important. At most of the camps, it was just our group. And the views of the mountain are great.

George arranged a great team to support us. Guides Robert and George were great and I felt completely safe in their capable hands through the climb. The supporting porters were fun and helped tremendously and made for a great experience. I will never forget the welcome song I received when I stumbled back into Kibo, exhausted after the descent from the summit!

I highly recommend the trip and working with Kilimanjaro Brothers!

2  Thank traveller1857
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Tusker Trail gets an A+++ in our book. On May 29, 2013 my son, husband and myself reached the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro because we traveled with Tusker Trail.

First advice, follow Tusker’s packing list and you will be warm, prepared and happy. Trust me, they are the ones who know better. Second advice, spend the money to go with the best – Tusker Trail, and go for 9 days. Every day you spend on that mountain is worth it to prepare your body and mind; you can resume the rest of your life later.

We could relax and enjoy the journey because we always knew we were in the best of hands with the Tusker Trail team. They would steer us to safety and success. It was so refreshing to witness the respect Tusker Trail guides have for the safety, welfare and happiness of all members of their team, not just their clients. This is because the guides have been porters themselves and know the rigor of this job. Such support for each other resulted in an unmatched team spirit. We felt cheered on daily by 23 supportive porters, camp coordinators, kitchen staff, and guides. The caring is genuine.

There is always a belief and goal that you will make it to the summit even if you lack the total belief in yourself. You are encouraged to accomplish more then you thought you could ever do, yet always under the safe watch of experienced guides. The guides have extensive knowledge and training about the mountain, health issues, problem solving, and know how to use the safety equipment they carry.

No one badgers you about money or tips. Instead the staff stress how proud they are to be part of such a top company. They are all invested in being the best they can be. The USA staff also are very professional, never pushy, always enthusiastic and encouraging.

The Tusker Team is fun to be with, all of them. They smile and greet you at every chance. No request is too large. They are eager to please. Many people in the team look for ways to make your trip easier and more enjoyable like cleaning the toilet several times a day, meeting any kind of food request and ALWAYS cooking superb and nutritious meals, setting up perfect camp sites, filling my hot water bottle, packing your sleeping bag which is hard to stuff in the cold, helping to carry your pack or just hanging around with a smile. These men are courageous and kind.

If I were asked how do you recommend climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, I would say look no further, only climb with Tusker Trail. The people are the best! They will treat you like family, even better.

4  Thank frances s s
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Rising 5,896 meters (19,340ft) from the stark flat dry Savannah plains, snow-capped Kilimanjaro is a spectacle of pure unadulterated beauty. A sight so stunning, it can only dominate and etch itself into one's memory forever. The mountain owes its existence to the formation of the Great Rift Valley and is actually three volcanic cones that, due to their proximity, became one - Shira, Mawenzi and Kibo- together they make the highest free standing mountain in the world. It is possible to climb this 'wedding cake' mountain all year round although the best times are the dry months of January, February and July through to September. Anglers can find trout in the delightful crystal cold rivers up to a height of 2001 meters (6557ft).

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Tanzania people are more friendly than their Kenyan counterparts, starting from the the border control. We went for a hike and we had a great time with the Tanzanian guides. We stayed in a hotel in Moshi (the nearest town). Very friendly people.