“A piece of paradise”

Babylon Lodge
Berkeley, California
“A piece of paradise”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

All services are excellent and the staff is great. They waited for us twice at the airport (second time at 3am) as our flight was rescheduled. The rates are cheap, and the rooms are clean. The architecture is very original based on bio-shapes. They also arranged a day hike to Mandhara hut. If you head to Marangu then this is the place to stay! We were sorry our schedule didn't allow us to stay longer.

Room Tip: All rooms are very good.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend during a 6 week stay in the region. Right from the beginning the service at the hotel was amazing! Bobby bent over backwards to make us feel welcome.
They helped organise someone to show us the waterfalls around Marangu. They also arranged a day hike for us to Mandhara hut. Our guide Ian was amazing and Bobby drove us to the gate and picked us up at the end.
If you head to Marangu then Babylon Lodge is a little piece of heaven that is a the place to stay!

Stayed May 2014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2014

An amazing experience and honeysweet stay at the Lodge. This time it was my second period and I stayed for a full week at Babylon Lodge. All services were excellent and the staff was fantastic.I even enjoyed playing a game of darts with staff. There is no other place like home and babylon rocks.

Room Tip: All rooms are very good
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Babylon is a hidden treasure. My colleagues and I arrived at 1:00 a.m. but the whole staff stayed up to welcome us, and prepared a terrific full course dinner. The staff is very friendly and super helpful. The rates are cheap, and the rooms are extremely clean. The compound is green and well maintained. You get to have your breakfast under the morning sun!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Bobby and his team provided gold standard service. From the very beginning they were friendly, professional and willing to go that extra mile. Rooms were comfortable and clean with proper mosquito nets. There is wifi and a computer room. Meals are available. Resident's rate available. Very good value for money.

The hotel will organise trips for you and we can highly recommend the day trip to Mandara Hut, Kili. It is excellent value and the hotel organise everything, including a very substantial lunch. Our guide, Ian, was great and we really enjoyed walking with him.

If you make this trip I encourage you to explore wider Marangu and definitely visit the waterfalls.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Loomoomahoo
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was by far one of the best hotels I stayed at while in Tanzania! Arriving at the hotel, after a long day of travel was like walking into what felt, looked, and was a paradise right at the base of Mt. Kilomanjaro-the highest (and most beautiful) mountain in Africa! In addition to the breathtaking scenery and beautiful maintenance of the facility, the staff were exceptional. In the mornings, staff greeted guest with a good morning and made sure all were well fed. Throughout the day, staff were always available to assist, inform, or even talk to about the culture, travel, etcetera. When my jeep pulled up in front of The Babylon Lodge, my bags were immediately unloaded and carried to my room. I was also offered a complementary nice cold tropical drink (which was out of this world fantastic; i believe I had about three glasses of it!). I especially noted and appreciated how the employees at the hotel diligently went out of their way to make sure I had a great experience, and did not accept my tips ($) when offered. Seemingly, they did everything from the bottom of their hearts. I was not a celebrity or anything, but they certainly made me and other guest feel welcomed and important. I think something that was especially unique about The Babylon is how after just a few days of residing at the hotel, I felt I was home, which is a rare feeling for a foreigner in such a diverse country as Tanzania. The only thing I wished was different about my stay at the Babylon Lodge is that I wish I'd stayed longer.

Room Tip: If traveling in a large group, rooms on the upper level are best because there a chairs on the conne...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simone B
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Just wow... Second to non, went to visit my grandparents in Moshi and was looking for somewhere near them and near the great attraction (Mount Kilimanjaro).
Our driver recommended Babylon lodge but first he took us to Marungu Hotel which we found too overpriced.
Anyway.. We then decided to give Babylon lodge a try, which I have to say, as soon as we got there, the welcome from the staff was outstanding.
A doorman greeted us with a friendly smile and took our bags to the reception and suggested for us to have a hot drink (chai) at their bar.
After few mins of relaxing we then requested to book two double rooms at the ground level so that it would be easier to walk around as we had a young child. But Sadly, due to the demand of that particular day the Lodge did not have any rooms available at that level but instead recommended us other rooms at a higher level which a had views of the beautiful scenery.
Once again the door man kindly offered to take our bags to our rooms.

Both rooms were spacious but warm and cosy. The bathrooms were also spacious, immaculate and very clean. Each room had a large flat screen TV which worked :-).
After admiring the rooms, we decided to go to the lodge's restaurant.

As soon as we arrived the head chef came from the kitchen to greet us and asked what we wanted eat. (I have to say, this was one of the exceptional touch of our whole stay.)
In the restaurant the decor was rustic with warm colours representing the earthy tone of the external surrounding.
At first we waited for a while until our waiter came and took our drinks order, he was very charming, friendly and professional.
The food was as expected "delicious"I had spaghetti bolognese and the rest of my family had chips and Kuku.
Overall, our stay at Babylon lodge was wonderful. I would defo recommend it to anyone who happens to be in Moshi and who wants to feel at home, experience great service, have access to the internet and eat good food. X

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ameg Lodge Kilimanjaro
Kaliwa Lodge
Kaliwa Lodge
#4 of 65 in Moshi

Been to Babylon Lodge? Share your experiences!