“Very enjoyable”

Mediterraneo Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Quiet, clean, secure and in fabulously picturesque surroundings, with the white beach and its local fishermen adjacent to the lovingly kept and flower-filled gardens. The restaurant overlooking the ocean-front has a great decor, and staff are invariably smiling and friendly. A very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Relativement peu de différence entre les chambres simples et les chambres en bungalow.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karin H
There are newer reviews for Mediterraneo Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed October 14, 2013

After 3 weeks spent there, I have to say this hotel is a lovely place to stay...
Very quiet and safe, Close to the ocean, a fantastic place for watching sunrise or sunset....
Restaurants propose a lot of different dishes (even sushi), all of them are very good !
The staff are friendly and professional. Rooms are nice and clean.
Don t hesitate, this is the place to stay in DES.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank JeanChristophe M
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Spent one week here after having stayed in city of DSM. Very quiet and tranquil place with the beach just in front. Very service-minded and friendly staff and excellent food. Rooms at an average std, but clean and nice.

1  Thank Swedish2013
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed before and after trip with UK Aspire to Africa charity. Lovely place, friendly staff, great position on the beach. Aspire will be back next year I think. I won't but love to go again. You have to wait for your food of an evening but who cares when you are drinking and in company. Breakfast brillinat, spanish omlete made to you own personal tastes.

Room Tip: Watch the sun set and rise. Don't plan on eating with out a wait, but there is a good selection...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Garry S
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I just returned from my stay here with my boyfriend, we read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor and saw some of the negative things being said about this hotel but after seeing the pictures of the amazing views and the restaurant we thought we would give it a try anyway... Biggest mistake we've ever made, and I am normally extremely generous when it comes to reviews being that I have worked in customer service and know how tough it can be.

First I had arranged for pickup at the airport to avoid being charged a "tourist price" for a taxi, I got not one, not two, but THREE confirmation emails about our pickup. However, when we arrived at the airport our driver was nowhere to be found. We assumed this was just a mixup so we went ahead and got a taxi (we were charged 50 USD for a one way ride from the airport). When we got to the hotel we were treated as if it were MY fault that the driver didn't show up.

Our room did not get cleaned the first day we were there, which wasn't a huge issue because we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. The second day our room was cleaned but the cleaning service took our towels and didn't bring any new ones. We went to the reception desk to ask for more, they replied that they would bring them to the room, after about 30 minutes of waiting we went to ask again and the girl at the reception desk was standing there, talking to a coworker (laughing and joking) with our towels in her hand.

The Hotel Guide book in the rooms has in depth information about day trips to the nearby islands that the reception desk could arrange for guests, when we asked about this we were told "Let me check and I will let you know" after a few hours of not hearing back from them we asked again and were told that we would have to just take a taxi to another place that does transportation to the islands.

Our checkout at this hotel took at least triple the amount of time that it should have, at least 30 minutes was spent just trying to settle our bill and make sure that we were not charged for the airport pickup that we didn't receive. They did arrange for a taxi to bring us to the airport, however our driver took us through the middle of the crowded city in the middle of rush hour so the trip that took us 20 minutes on our arrival took 2 hours and 20 minutes when we departed. We asked many many times if there was another route we could take and explained that we had an international flight at 8pm. Every time we got the same response "there is nothing I can do, the traffic is bad everywhere here." Finally, getting irritated and worried we would miss our flight, my boyfriend offered the driver 100 USD if he could get us to the airport within an allotted amount of time. As soon as he said this our driver seemed to "magically" find a less crowded street. We arrived at the airport just in time to get on our plane.

I am terribly sorry for all of the negativity in this review, but there just really weren't many positive points about our stay here. I would recommend staying somewhere else and just have dinner here because the restaurant staff, the food, and the view from the restaurant are amazing!

2  Thank kmm31
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I first stayed in this hotel in 2004. I absolutely loved it and have stayed there every time I am in Da es salaam (which is every 4 months). I am originally from Tanzania but I live in the UK and still have family and friends in Dar es salaam . This hotel is home away from home for me whenever I am in Dar es salaam, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The food is fantastic! The staff are super friendly and would go out of their way to make your stay comfortarble. The rooms are very clean and breakfast (which is great with lots of fresh fruit and great coffee) tend to streach till 11am which really suits me as I am not an early riser! I even had my wedding party in November 2009 at the hotel!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the right hand side of the reception are quite.r
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was my first ever trip to Dar es Salaam and the primary reason was to meet a potential business partner. My expectations were not of one going on holiday looking for a luxurious place to stay. This was perhaps good as it was hardly my intention to spend any length of time in the room which was very basic, but still better than many rooms I have stayed in in London which cost considerably more.
But the setting right on the beach combined with fantastic, friendly staff and a wonderful restaurant are incredibly redeeming features. The menu is startlingly varied but also of the highest quality and being able to settle in to addictively comfortable loungers with a cold beer watching the waves and passers by is definitely something I could do again.
Not the easiest place to get to, but certainly not badly out of the way. You will need a local to help you find it, though...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business