“Retired Swedish couple”

Mediterraneo Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Spent one week here after having stayed in city of DSM. Very quiet and tranquil place with the beach just in front. Very service-minded and friendly staff and excellent food. Rooms at an average std, but clean and nice.

1  Thank Swedish2013
There are newer reviews for Mediterraneo Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed before and after trip with UK Aspire to Africa charity. Lovely place, friendly staff, great position on the beach. Aspire will be back next year I think. I won't but love to go again. You have to wait for your food of an evening but who cares when you are drinking and in company. Breakfast brillinat, spanish omlete made to you own personal tastes.

Room Tip: Watch the sun set and rise. Don't plan on eating with out a wait, but there is a good selection...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Garry S
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I just returned from my stay here with my boyfriend, we read all of the reviews on Trip Advisor and saw some of the negative things being said about this hotel but after seeing the pictures of the amazing views and the restaurant we thought we would give it a try anyway... Biggest mistake we've ever made, and I am normally extremely generous when it comes to reviews being that I have worked in customer service and know how tough it can be.

First I had arranged for pickup at the airport to avoid being charged a "tourist price" for a taxi, I got not one, not two, but THREE confirmation emails about our pickup. However, when we arrived at the airport our driver was nowhere to be found. We assumed this was just a mixup so we went ahead and got a taxi (we were charged 50 USD for a one way ride from the airport). When we got to the hotel we were treated as if it were MY fault that the driver didn't show up.

Our room did not get cleaned the first day we were there, which wasn't a huge issue because we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. The second day our room was cleaned but the cleaning service took our towels and didn't bring any new ones. We went to the reception desk to ask for more, they replied that they would bring them to the room, after about 30 minutes of waiting we went to ask again and the girl at the reception desk was standing there, talking to a coworker (laughing and joking) with our towels in her hand.

The Hotel Guide book in the rooms has in depth information about day trips to the nearby islands that the reception desk could arrange for guests, when we asked about this we were told "Let me check and I will let you know" after a few hours of not hearing back from them we asked again and were told that we would have to just take a taxi to another place that does transportation to the islands.

Our checkout at this hotel took at least triple the amount of time that it should have, at least 30 minutes was spent just trying to settle our bill and make sure that we were not charged for the airport pickup that we didn't receive. They did arrange for a taxi to bring us to the airport, however our driver took us through the middle of the crowded city in the middle of rush hour so the trip that took us 20 minutes on our arrival took 2 hours and 20 minutes when we departed. We asked many many times if there was another route we could take and explained that we had an international flight at 8pm. Every time we got the same response "there is nothing I can do, the traffic is bad everywhere here." Finally, getting irritated and worried we would miss our flight, my boyfriend offered the driver 100 USD if he could get us to the airport within an allotted amount of time. As soon as he said this our driver seemed to "magically" find a less crowded street. We arrived at the airport just in time to get on our plane.

I am terribly sorry for all of the negativity in this review, but there just really weren't many positive points about our stay here. I would recommend staying somewhere else and just have dinner here because the restaurant staff, the food, and the view from the restaurant are amazing!

2  Thank kmm31
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I first stayed in this hotel in 2004. I absolutely loved it and have stayed there every time I am in Da es salaam (which is every 4 months). I am originally from Tanzania but I live in the UK and still have family and friends in Dar es salaam . This hotel is home away from home for me whenever I am in Dar es salaam, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The food is fantastic! The staff are super friendly and would go out of their way to make your stay comfortarble. The rooms are very clean and breakfast (which is great with lots of fresh fruit and great coffee) tend to streach till 11am which really suits me as I am not an early riser! I even had my wedding party in November 2009 at the hotel!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the right hand side of the reception are quite.r
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was my first ever trip to Dar es Salaam and the primary reason was to meet a potential business partner. My expectations were not of one going on holiday looking for a luxurious place to stay. This was perhaps good as it was hardly my intention to spend any length of time in the room which was very basic, but still better than many rooms I have stayed in in London which cost considerably more.
But the setting right on the beach combined with fantastic, friendly staff and a wonderful restaurant are incredibly redeeming features. The menu is startlingly varied but also of the highest quality and being able to settle in to addictively comfortable loungers with a cold beer watching the waves and passers by is definitely something I could do again.
Not the easiest place to get to, but certainly not badly out of the way. You will need a local to help you find it, though...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrewirvs
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Let me start off by mentioning that I have been staying at to this hotel at least 4 times per year since 2007. That would more than 20 stays so far. I have also referred countless of people to this hotel. I kept on coming back here because this was the first hotel I stayed at in Dar es Salaam. Over the years it became a familiar place to me. I like the gardens and the staffs is very friendly. The rooms never blew me away, after a couple of stays it just became the place I knew in the city.
During this time I have also come to know who the owner is - he never uttered as much as a “hello” or “welcome back” to me. It did not bother me because I realised that he cannot be friends with everybody that stays here. It was never a reason for me however not to come back here again.
During my last trip (flight) from Europe to Dar es Salaam the owner happened to be on the same flight and in the same class as me. Once more, we did not exchange greetings, which actually made me feel awkward because by the time I realised that he was on the flight, we passed one another a couple of times. I thought it would be silly to greet this late. Even so, I did not think much of it and assumed that he might feel the same.
After my first night and breakfast at the hotel, the visibly shaken and embarrassed hotel staff informed me that the previous night was on the house - but I had to leave the hotel. No one could give me a reason why, except that the owner walked in that morning and instructed them to inform the person, who was on the same flight with him, to leave. To say the least, I was shocked – especially because I have been a loyal guest over a couple of years. I was also angry that he put his staff into such an embarrassing situation. They have always been very friendly and nice to me and they tried their best to ease the situation. It is really sad that he did not have the courage to tell me this in person. Thinking back then - and judging on the way he arranged a whole arrival team/workforce for his pick up at the airport (if I did not know better, I could have been fooled into thinking some kind of local celebrity has landed), an inflated ego is a possible candidate. Notwithstanding, this action was determined and aimed to hurt……for not saying “hello” (which I can also accuse him of btw)??..... This also brings me back to the basic rules of hospitality. In the normal world the staff (or management for that matter) approaches their guests and introduces themselves and not the other way around. I cannot think of any other reason why he did this. As I mentioned before, he never stopped to greet me at the hotel in all the years. All the other people that work there have always greeted me and welcomed me back. I find this behaviour exceptionally unprofessional; one would not expect this from the management/owner of a hotel. I did not disembark the plane in Dar es Salaam with a grudge, thinking that I will stay at another hotel now because I was not greeted or asked if I will be staying there again by the owner of the hotel which I have been supporting so often.
Judging from how ruthless this owner treats his loyal guests, I can only assume how the staffs get treated at this hotel. Even if my assumption is wrong, I got kicked out, irrespective of the fact that I have been a loyal guest for years, for no reason and with no explanation at all. Just like that.
Based on this little incident, I will now also allow myself to highlight what has always bothered me about the hotel:
1. The ocean facing rooms only face the ocean but actually look into the garden. They face the garden on the ocean side of the property. Do not book a garden facing room however - because there is a night club just across the road from the hotel and you may find yourself with a lot of noise at night. It has happened to me in the past but I did not complain back then (luckily I had really good ear plugs with me). Currently the hotel is also constructing a number of new garden facing rooms on the side where this night club/bar is situated and the rooms closest to the night club are no more than 20 m away from it. There is just a hedge and a dirt road between the rooms and the night club.
2. The rooms are rather dark and gloomy with old AC’s. They are very noisy and only function at one level. Unfortunately, most of the year you have to sleep with the AC on because there is no air draught through the rooms.
3. The beds are basic and not the most comfortable: On top of that you only get a sheet as blanket. It would be nice to have a proper duvet.
4. The showers (sometimes toilets) leak and there is hardly any water pressure. I have not seen any improvements in the bathrooms in the last 5 years.
5. The towels are a joke. More sheet than towel. They do not absorb any water at all. They are the worst I have ever seen in any hotel.
6. Wireless is for free but it comes at the speed of the internet anno 1995. It is the slowest wireless I have experienced in Dar es Salaam.
7. The food in the restaurant is good but pricey for DAR standards. Here too, there have been no changes in the menu in the last 5 years. Only the prices changed.
8. The hotel is very isolated and removed from the normal rhythm of Dar es Salaam. It is also far from the city and the traffic going there is always bad. The road leading to the hotel is also in a bad condition, especially after rain.
This unnecessary event also brought something good to light though. Firstly, I will not support (and advise others also) an institution that is run by such ruthless people. It also provided me with the opportunity to explore other options outside my comfort zone. I now discovered that there are numerous other options closer to town on the Peninsula. Here you will also find hotels on the ocean but you can also experience normal DAR life if you have the urge to leave the hotel. If you want to be on the beach outside of the city however, there are better options with better rooms, albeit a bit further out. White Sands for example.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
10  Thank ugu
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I brought a group here after we had done a 2 week mission trip in the Dodoma area of Tanzania... this is my second stay here the first time was five years ago for two nights and this time it was only one night.... BUT because our flight back to Chicago was a later one we stayed till after dinner.... the place is an oasis WONDERFUL... the food was great the rooms were fantastic... every time I come to Tanzania we come for either a day or two or like three years ago I brought a group for lunch.... you can not beat the Mediterraneo....... Dave

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business