“Lovely rooms and friendly staff”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #3 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Bremen, Germany
“Lovely rooms and friendly staff”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

The hotel is really nice and peaceful, and the rooms are large and spotless. The pool area is nice and green, feels like being in the jungle! The staff in the restaurant and bar was very friendly and made the stay enjoyable. The food was good, but a bit overpriced. But well worth staying in the hotel rather than finding an outside restaurant though.
The only person that had a bit of an attitude was a lady behind reception. Luckily I only dealt with her upon check-out, so the friendliness of everyone else made up for it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this candid review. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay and the STAFF ensured your comfort. Our menu prices are in line with other similar establishments - perhaps cheaper. A few items which require imported ingredients might be on the higher side. I have taken note about the front office STAFF attitude, i will chat with them about it. Apologies for any inconvenience caused. We look forward to host you again soon.

gm@proteadar.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The Protea Courtyard provides a relaxing calm stay for business travellers. The front office staff are efficient and friendly and the rooms clean and comfortable. There is a business office if you prefer to work away from your room and a pool to do a few lengths and unwind. The noise levels from the pool can be a little invasive - on my first night a group was swimming and making a racket until 11pm. Other irritation is the haphazard service from the team in the dining room - the evening service seems to unleash a number of either mis-orders or orders being taken to the wrong table - quite an accomplishment given the relatively low number of tables being served. A great stay and if the F&B team were given more training would be excellent all round.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear gavinareid

Good day, I am glad that you stayed with us this time, thank you for trying our accommodation facilities. Extremely sorry about the disturbance caused by the group the first night. I will urge the TEAM to enforce the pool timings strictly. I have shared you feedback with the F&B TEAM. We had a few changes in the TEAM which might have been the main reason for the order mix up, rest assured we will work on this and ensure you have a better experience on your next visit.

We look forward to host you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The hotel is well located for business or leisure and the staff are very attentive. The room I had was very big with a nice sitting area and the central courtyard is very attractive and cool for lounging and working. Be careful with taxi drivers called to the hotel though as I ordered a cab throught reception to take me to Oyster Bay to go for a stroll and was told this would be 6,000 but the taxi driver seemed confused about where to take me and tried to charge 50,000 for the round trip!Reception did get then involved in our discussions but I still ended up paying 30,000 for an 8km round trip which I thought was extortiornate.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark E
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Mark E

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, sorry about the confusion with the taxi trip. I am happy to hear that the reception TEAM assisted you. But i agree that Tshs 30,000/- for a trip to Oysterbay area seems high. We will talk to the taxi drivers and urge them to be more reasonable and clear on their charges. We look forward to host you again.

Paris, France
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I have stayed several times in this hotel and have mainly positive experiences. The rooms are clean, comfortable and tastefully arranged. The inner courtyard offers a calm working environment. The breakfast is very good; the service is friendly and effective; internet connections are excellent; there is a small but good gym. I have only two concerns. Firstly, the windows in the rooms are towards the inner courtyard, and therefore it is difficult to have a lot of daylight. Secondly, over time the price has increased significantly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear adgent

Jambo, thank you for continuing to stay with us and taking time to write this candid review. Thanks a lot for your kind and encouraging words, we sincerely appreciate the same. I have noted your comments about the windows opening to the courtyard and the price. Due to the way the hotel was designed and built ( around the courtyard/garden and pool) we unfortunately don't have any solution for this, but we have managed to bring in a bit more natural light and air into the room with the addition of the new window in the back. We have not increased the price substantially over the years. Any yearly increase on the rack rate has always been less than 10% & in line with the inflation. Please contact me directly, I will be glad to assist you further. We look forward to host you again soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Brilliant hotel, friendly staff, great food!
We made very last minute bookings to the hotel and also requested return airport transfers. All arrangements were carried out meticulously.
We felt at home, it was absolutely awesome!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank HoneyMustardd
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, thanks a lot for staying with us and taking time to share your experience. I am glad that our TEAM looked after you very well and you had a fantastic stay. We look forward to host you again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Most options in Dar are large corporate hotels and this is just the opposite. Its a small 3 floor property that centers on a courtyard with a small pool. Its charming and the staff are helpful and really great.

Rooms are immaculately clean with wooden canopy beds. Bathrooms are a decent size. They have lots of hot water and nice bright lights. Beds are comfortable. There is televison with a good selection of channels. Air-condition works well after I moved from a third floor room where the airconditioning didn't work.

Breakfast has made to order omelettes, fresh fruit and the usual assortment of breads. Staff is very kind and helpful.

I held a meeting at the property and the conference room was excellent. Nice big windows and comfortable chairs. Tea breaks had a good assortment of snacks and friendly service.

Again, I cannot say enough nice things about this property. A little gem in Dar!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard, Thank you for staying with us and choosing our conference facilities for holding your workshop. We sincerely appreciate your generous compliments, all credit goes to the TEAM for whom nothing is too much. We are blessed with a great TEAM that make comments such as these possible. I will share your comments with them, we look forward to host you again soon.

Gallup, New Mexico
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Protea Courtyard Hotel in Dar is Salaam is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel staff's care, friendliness, and attention began as soon as I arrived at Dar es Salaam's airport at eight in the morning after flying for about 20 hours from the Philippines. Thom Haule, a driver from the Protea, met me at the airport, and patiently waited while I exchanged currency and bought a sim card for my phone. When we reached the hotel one of the staff escorted me to the hotel's dining room, where a large and varied buffet breakfast was available. My room was prepared while I ate breakfast, looking out at the hotel's plant-filled courtyard and swimming pool. When I went to my room there was a plate of fruit and a candy bar waiting for me, along with a large bottle of water, which was replaced every day.
I can't say enough good things about the Protea. The rooms are kept meticulously clean, and the hotel is a quiet refuge to return to at the end of a day. There's free wifi, which worked fairly reliably; a ceiling fan and air conditioning made the room comfortable even during Tanzania's summer. When I returned to the U.S. and stayed at a hotel before finally returning home, i found myself wishing that my American hotel had the same level of service (and excellent breakfast!) as the Protea Courtyard.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Tim F

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed everything about our hotel right from the airport pick up till the last breakfast you had before checking out. I will pass your comments to the TEAM, especially Tom, our driver. Comprehensive reviews such as yours are very important for us and we sincerely appreciate your generous compliments which are of significant motivational value to our great TEAM. We look forward to host you again soon.