“cosy and nice location”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard
Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was clean, nice and quiet, great location near the city center,
Small nice swimming pool which is a plus for worm weather in Dar-es-salaam
Good breakfast and good services received thought the stay
Felt peaceful

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Mariana M

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and writing this motivating review. I am really glad that you were satisfied with the overall experience, we look forward to host you again at our hotel.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I was travelling in Dar Es Salaam alone & was very happy I choose to stay here. Felt very safe & welcome. I arranged a taxi pick up through the hotel $25 it may be cheaper to go through a local taxi but I was happy to pay. The traffic in Dar is not good so takes around 35mins+ to get to hotel. Great room, clean & has free wifi. Nice buffet breakfast & good selection of foods/drinks for the rest of the day. I recommend trying some of the curry. Staff severing food friendly & as on my own nice to have a chat, all speak English. Small swimming pool. Hotel not really for lounging around the pool for a week more a few nights stop over or business people. Only problem I had was that the safe in my room broke with my passport inside which caused a tense few hours as my flight was due. Also double check times booked for taxis etc as I said pick up at 2:15 in the afternoon & there was confusion as they thought I had meant 2:15am! Wasn't a problem but just confirm what time you want.

• Stayed: August 2013
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Jess T

Good day, thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dar es Salaam and posting this great review. I sincerely apologise regarding the safe issue. As you might ave noticed these are brand new and are the most widely used hotel safes. I have raised our concerns with the supplier. We look forward to host you again soon.

gm@protedar.com

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at the Protea Hotel Courtyard for 5 nights in August 2013. I was scheduled to be at training workshops in Dar Es Salaam and do not know the city. The workshops were held at Protea Hotel Courtyard. Normally I do not stay at the workshop venue and can find something quiet and cheaper elsewhere in the city.

However as I do not know Dar Es Salaam I checked out Protea Hotel Courtyard on the internet versus alternatives and there prices were acceptable and it saved travelling around a city I did not know and meant I could also get more work done.

As I had particular requirements and difficulty with internet access from abroad I emailed the hotel and got a very fast, complete and polite reply and a good rate. The booking staff were really helpful.

I was met at the airport and immediately offered chilled water and newspaper by the friendly driver. Check in staff great and very friendly. They would not even let me carry my bag because they thought I was an "old man".

For the workshop venue and lunches, breaks and all the support to the workshop, very good.

Rooms pleasant and clean, with reliable internet and the one time I had internet connection problem I had assistance within 5 minutes.

Very nice buffet breakfast and lunches. Dinner menu pleasant and good value, but could improve a little, but this is not a 5 star hotel so no complaints, and indeed compliments.

Staff are so polite and also friendly and helpful, always a smile always glad to help.

I had a slightly late checkout as my departure flight was late afternoon and I needed to get work done the day following the workshop. I was told not to worry about about late check out charge as it was OK, arranged in advance and with airport transport.

The hotel is not really central I am told but I was not here as a tourist. It has very nice facilities, courtyard and garden. The courtyard and outside tables are relaxing. The downstairs rooms a little dim but still pleasant, roomy, clean and no complaint.

A very pleasant experience. I hope I can come back to Tanzania and if I do will bring my wife and stay at Protea Hotel Courtyard.

Dear Chris N

Good day, thank you for staying with us recently during your residential seminar and posting this detailed review. I am extremely glad that STAFF, across the hotel, took great care of you. I am also delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the conference as well. Please do let me know on your thoughts regarding the dinner menu. I will pass your review & compliments to the TEAM, I am sure they will appreciate the same. We look forward to host you and your wife at our hotel in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Had a business lunch with my Tanzanian friend at this hotel. I experience tasty, fresh food, friendly staff and above all- clean environment. I am not sure about their rooms, but from the look, it seems there is a balanced hospitality practices here. No doubt, i register my interest next time i come in Tanzania.

Dear Boitungu N

Good day, thank you for dining with us and posting this review. I am really glad that the experience was positive & you enjoyed the ambiance. We look forward to host you at our hotel on your next visit to Tanzania.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I came by this hotel by default as I checked out of another hotel in Dar after a bad experience, they checked me in very early and made me very welcome.

This hotel is a 5 star experience in a 3 star hotel! The rooms are amazing, the staff are very friendly and the hotel has character .... Not just a sterile experience you get from a major chain.

The food is some of the best Indian I have eaten, very nice!

Dear Jerry

Good day, thank you for staying with us and posting this review. I am really glad that our TEAM took great care of you. I will pass your comments on to them. We look forward to host you again soon and offer you a 100% satisfactory experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

A charming hotel with history, located out of the CBD. We stayed 1 night (5th August, 2013), after booking via Expedia. Took 4 days & multiple communications for hotel to confirm my booking. No explanation forthcoming as to reason. Very friendly front office staff. I booked a room with a "sea view , but was told after I arrived, that none of the hotel rooms have a "sea view". My room (308) clean & very satisfactory. We enjoyed our evening meal at the restaurant, which has extensive menu at very reasonable prices. Only other disappointing aspects were the fact that both the coffee machine and the credit-card machine were not working at the time.Fortunately had USD to pay hotel bill. Arranged own taxi to airport at Tsh30,000 instead of the quoted USD20 per person.

Room Tip: None have "sea view"
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank icthus51

Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and posting this review. I am really glad that our TEAM took great care of you. I apologise regarding the coffee machine and the credit card machine - both were fixed immediately. Our street name used to be Sea View Ocean Road, which might have caused the confusion. We do not advertise anywhere regarding sea view rooms. I am extremely sorry if this caused any inconvenience. We look forward to host you again soon and offer you a 100% satisfactory experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

stayed one night in dar and as a prokard gold member decided to the try the courtyard
old style hotel build around the swimming pool ( small one )
nice room , helpful staff and decent breakfast
good value for the money
will visit again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Shibre

Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for being a Prokard Gold holder and we are really grateful for choosing our hotel for your stay in Dar es Salaam. I am extremely glad to hear that you had a fantastic experience and found us of great value for money. We look forward to host you again soon.