“Great place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Munich, Germany
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I stayed at Protea Hotel Courtyard for two weeks - it is a great accommodation. Very friendly and outstanding helpful staff, nice and very clean rooms, high speed internet connection and good food in the restaurant. Very quiet rooms (no traffic noise). Great to relax sitting on the "courtyard" terrasse in the evenings. I enjoyed my stay very much and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear GUEST

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for taking time to write this honest and encouraging review. It makes me happy to notice that the hard work that our TEAM put in doesn't go unnoticed. I will share your feedback with them, they will be thrilled. We look forward to host you again. Have a great week ahead!

Protea Hotels Dsm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Very friendly staff, personal touch, attention to detail, fantastic rooms, high speed internet..perfect for a business trip! I will be back!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Guest

Good day, Jambo from a rainy Dar Es Salaam! Thanks a lot for staying with us and taking time to write an honest review about our hotel and services. I have already shared it with our TEAM and they will be very happy to know that their efforts don't go unnoticed or unappreciated. We look forward to host you again, pls ask for me while checking in, I will be honoured to meet you. Have a nice weekend.

Vadodara, India
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Good Food, Good Rooms, High speed Internet, what else you need on a business trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Amitabh

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for staying with us and for your kind, positive comments. I am glad to hear that we got everything right to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to host you again, soon. Thanks and regards,

Nairobi, Nairobi Area, Kenya
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Hi, am a frequent traveler to East and Central Africa and my home away from home in Dar es Salaam is Protea Courtyard hotel. I have been regularly staying in that hotel from the past 5 years and each time when i am in Dar i like to go back there. The ambiance is very good. The staff service excellent and not to mention about the the Wi-Fi service that works. The food is also Delicious. I have always recommended this hotel to my friends who come from abroad and they have also liked it very much.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Dear Vinod

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for taking time to write your candid comments. We sincerely appreciate your business and the fact that you recommend our esteemed property to your friends and colleagues. We will continue to deliver outstanding service that we have provided the years. We look forward to welcome you back again soon, have a nice weekend.

Houghton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I spent a week here on business, and loved my stay in this small but beautiful hotel. I feel like I was at a 4 star for the price of a 3 star. The rooms were clean, staff were all prompt, courteous and helpful, and the stay was very quiet and peaceful. Internet access was good (though a little slow) and I really liked the food. The only negative was that they missed my wakeup call one morning and I was almost late for my trip to Zanzibar, but I would not hesitate to stay here again. The Protea Courtyard is truly a bargain in Dar!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Barry

First off, apologies for such a delayed response. I somehow missed out on your review! Thanks a lot for staying with us and taking time to write an honest review. I have shared your feedback with our TEAM.

Please accept my sincere apologies for missing out on your wake up call, we will ensure that this doesn't happen again. Please ask me for me on your next visit, would love to meet you in person.

Bilthoven
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Just back in Holland from a trip to Dar es Salaam. I stayed in the Protea Coutyard Hotel, and apart from an old couple of batteries in the automatic doorlock (which were changed quickly), the hotel was a pleasure. Service great and breakfast, bar and dinner fantastic. Very pleasant staff too.

Price/value: excellent

Room Tip: I stayed on the groundfloor (room 103), and have not seen the other rooms. But the courtyard structu...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Leeuwenk

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your honest and candid opinion about the hotel, much appreciated. It gives me immense pleasure to see that our efforts in excelling in customer service has been noticed and appreciated. We look forward to host you and your family at our hotel in the future.

Protea Hotels Dar es Salaam
Rome, Italy
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Disclaimer: Having traveled extensively in East Africa, I am aware that standards in this part of the world are lower than in the Western world. My review, however, is written from the perspective that $130 a night in what is effectively a very poor country, should deliver a standard similar to a decent Western hotel.

I chose this hotel, because of the good reviews from business travelers and particularly the fact that it was supposed to have fast internet. Also the pictures on their website looked nice. Unfortunately, the hotel failed to meet my expectations, and next time that I travel to Dar on business, I will be staying somewhere else.

ROOMS: I changed rooms three times in three days, as there was always some issue with the room I was assigned. What bothered me the most were the beds. All the beds have a spring mattress, but there are no mattress toppers. This makes the bed somewhat hard as you can feel the springs against your back. This was the issue in all the rooms that I saw. The hotel claims that the "high quality bed linen and comfortable mattresses ensure a good rest." There was nothing comfortable about the spring mattresses, I can guarantee that. Otherwise the rooms were ok, albeit slightly on the smaller side (some rooms on the upper floors are more spacious). Bathrooms were clean, although I lost water a couple of times as I was taking a shower. Flat-screen TVs were nice, but constant power cuts (outside hotel control, naturally) made watching TV difficult as the DSTV satellite service resets each time the power goes out and it takes a few minutes to reconfigure the channels. Also, the TVs in all the three rooms had annoying white lines running across the screen, possibly due to the low voltage of the power supply.

NOISE LEVEL: This was my biggest issue. Because of the way the hotel is laid out, all the rooms open to the inner courtyard, hence the name. The beautiful and well-tended courtyard houses a small plunge pool and....a bar/restaurant! This means that every room is affected by the noise emanating from the bar/restaurant. On my first night on the ground floor, I was kept up until past the midnight by people drinking in the courtyard. I switched to the higher floors, where the noise level is better, but changed back because the higher level rooms were so hot (the staff warned me of this, but I took my chances). On another night on the ground floor there were some really loud frogs outside my room. So loud, I couldn't sleep even with my earplugs on. I called reception, but I was told there is nothing that they can do about that. It took until about 2am when the noise stopped. I understand this is not a fault of the hotel per se, but if I am paying $130 per night I expect to be able to sleep in the room without loud noise.

INTERNET: For my work I need to send and receive large files over the internet, this is why I always try to pick hotels with a free and fast internet service. Many reviews pointed out that Protea Courtyard would have such a connection. However, throughout the four days that I was there, I never managed to download faster than 12kb/s, which is slower that what Europe had in the early 90s with the first modems. It is also about ten times slower than my standard internet in Uganda. It took my two days to send a file to Finland that in my previous hotel in Nairobi took about 2 hours.

FOOD: Food was good. Nothing special, just good. Expect to pay close to $15 for your main course. For comparison, during the day I ate with my local friends at local places for about $3 per meal.

LOCATION: I found the location to be this hotel's strongest asset. I had meetings in both the downtown and the Msasani peninsula (the mainly expat area). The hotel is just in between and also has a quite fast access to the airport.

SERVICE: As always in this part of Africa, staff are all smiles and very nice to talk to. Their English was very good (not always the case in Dar) and they taught me some basics in Swahili. Room service was fast (ca. half an hour).

ADVICE: Scrutinize your room bill as mine had a number of charges (int. calling, drinks) that were not mine. If you have a tight schedule, double check that your taxi has been arranged. I called the reception hours before my check-out to arrange an airport transfer, but they forgot to do it and it took 20 minutes to get another one.

Room Tip: Higher rooms (2nd/3rd floor) very hot even with A/C, Ground floor rooms suffer from noise from the c...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Dar es Salaam Courtyard, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear GUEST

Good day, greetings from Protea Hotel Courtyard, Dar es Salaam. First off, thank you very much for your comprehensive feedback about our hotel. I must admit that I was disappointed and sad to hear that you were not satisfied with some aspects of our facilities.

ROOMS

I have noted your comment about the spring mattresses, we rarely get complaints about mattresses. But this clearly was not the case with you and I believe that not being able to sleep comfortably in a hotel is not acceptable as we are primarily in the bed, pillow and coffee business. kindly note that we have orthopaedic mattresses available which is provided to GUESTS on request. Our STAFF should have offered this option to you, I apologise for this inconvenience caused and will ensure that proper measures are taken in the future. I am also glad to inform you that we are in the process of replacing all our mattresses with better ones.

NOISE LEVEL

I am extremely sorry about the disturbance caused due to GUESTS gathered at the courtyard area. Kindly note that we do not have a bar in the pool area, the noise on that particular night was from a cocktail gathering. We had close to 100 people that night at the verandah/pool area. I admit that it was not a wise decision to hold the cocktail at the Courtyard area. We have taken a decision the very next day that we wont hold cocktails in the courtyard area any more. The verandah is a part of the restaurant and doesn't house a bar. Despite the fact that the windows in the back are double glazed, we face issues with frogs at times. They are from our neighbouring plots and we have requested the authorities to look into this.

INTERNET

As you rightly pointed out, we get great reviews about our services and facilities - especially about the fast, reliable internet we provide. We did face a problem with internet for about ten days, on and off, from our service provider. I was notified about this and upon checking the utilisation graph and noticing that not many GUESTS were logged in (due to low occupancy especially during Easter holidays) the entire bandwidth was being utilised. Upon checking with the service provider they confirmed that there is some technical problem from their side, this was fixed couple of days back. I completely understand the importance of reliable internet connection and I promise you that you will find that our internet service is comparable with those in the western world. We also provide an extra 1MB bandwidth between 6pm and 7 am.

FOOD, LOCATION AND SERVICE

Thank you for your positive comments about the food, location and service.

Kindly note that we have kept our food prices at a slightly lower level compared to other hotels. In fact 90% of our main dishes cost between $7-$10 including taxes. For eg:- prawns (which are often one of the most expensive items on a menu cost about $12/- at our restaurant). We have not increased our food prices in the past two years despite huge increase in costs and we are in the process of revising our prices. Even with the new prices, our menu would still be quite reasonable in comparison.

I agree that dining out in local restaurants are much cheaper, but I assure you that restaurants of medium or above average standards cost same or way more than us.

I have noted your comments about billing mistakes and failure to organise airport transfers on time. please accept my sincere apologies for the same. I have already shared your feedback with the front office TEAM and other departments. We will do everything we can to avoid these inconveniences in the future.

I kindly request you not to make up your mind about not using our facilities in the future, please give us another chance. I promise you that you wont be disappointed. Please contact me directly on your next trip and I shall ensure that your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Protea Hotels Dar es Salaam