“Warm welcome and excellent service.”

Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro
Ranked #1 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Warm welcome and excellent service.”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I did not actually stay at this hotel, but still felt compelled to write a review and thank the hotel for their amazing service. As a backstory, I arrived on the ferry from Zanzibar and had about 4 hours to kill before my flight out of Dar es Salaam airport. I had read about the Kempinski having nice restaurants and a rooftop bar so I thought it would be a nice place to spend the time.

I was greeted with a warm welcome by the bell service, and even when explaining that I was just looking for dinner and drinks, they were extremely friendly. He took my bags, arranged a taxi service, and explained the various food and drink options at the hotel. At the time I had requested, the hotel car was waiting for me, and and the porter already had my bags ready and and asked about my meals and time in the bar.

The food at the restaurant was very good, and was a nice treat after being at some fairly rustic places in Arusha and Zanzibar. The "Level 8" bar was a very nice set-up and had great views of the harbor and the city.

Overall I was very impressed with the service at this hotel, and would definitely stay there the next time I am in Dar es Salaam. Thanks again for the warm hospitality!

Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woodstock, Vermont
Reviewed January 9, 2011

So we checked in for two nights....and stayed seven! The great winter storm of 2010...well 5 inches of snow caused Heathrow and most of the UK to stop. Our BA flight home was canceled twice, which seeing as we had to get back to Vermont and run an inn was a little difficult....but hey ho they had great internet for us to cancel our Christmas day clients (sorry.....) a wonderful pool to sit beside and good food to consume all topped off by credit cards to pay for it all!

The hotel took sympathy on us and gave us a great rate so THANK YOU! We loved the restaurants, all the staff (in particular the business center staff.....) and our room. The design is good but there is one very major issue which caused us a problem. Other TA reviews have commented on this and I don't understand why the Kempinski don't declare the following fact on their website? To start with we booked a suite on the seventh floor, which was a brilliant room.....until the bar on the 8th floor livened up! Every beat of the music was just loud enough to be very irritating!!! Every foot step was audible just enough to keep you awake. Why have the best and most expensive rooms at the hotel been designed this way???? Also the free wi-fi internet on the business floors was very unreliable in the room. In the reception on the ground floor it always seemed to work. The business center did however had 3 wired machines which were reliable though the frequent power cuts.

After the first night we moved to a more humble, but equally stylish room on the 6th floor which was much quieter (apart from the Russians who decided to leave their bedroom door open, chat and move along the corridor at full volume AT 05.00!!!!!!! what is wrong with folks??? A loud thump on their open door from a semi naked Englishman did encourage them to close the door and respect most folks trying to sleep!!!!)

Every other night we could not have been happier at the hotel whilst being stuck in Dar. The city is undergoing major redevelopment and we felt very safe walking about...not that there was much to see. The hotel restaurants were all good and fair value, the pool never over full (only had pesky kids for one Sunday afternoon) and the location overlooking the harbour pleasant. We had a look at the Movenpick and really preferred the Kempinski for its style, space and location.

The hotel also has a casino...which we decided to avoid. Seeing as our flights kept getting cancelled we thought our luck was not in!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Davidbignose!
sofia
Reviewed January 7, 2011

The hotel looks old and dirty,the room was spacious and nice furnished but it was very dirty.I think the cleannliness is major problem for every place in Africa no matter of how many starts is the resort.The people there just hate to clean.The rate of this hotel deffinitely do not responce to what the offer but for place like Dar Es salam I think that was the best hotel.They have wifi.the rate is 17 euro for 12 hours

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
KempinskiTz, Manager at Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear Guest,

Allow me to introduce myself as the Hotel Manager for Kilimanjaro Hotel Kempinski. At the outset, I would like to thank you for sparing your time to give us your valuable feedback, this gives us an opportunity to introspect and find permanent solutions to issues.

I would like to apologise for the fact that you found your room to be dirty. The entire team takes great pride in maintaining the hotel and ensuring cleanliness, it would however help us if you would be kind enough to share with us which areas in the hotel you found to be dirty. I would like to clarify that our internet rates are not 17 Euros for 12 hours as mentioned by you, we have three separates slabs, 1 hour @ 5 US$, 24 hours @ 10 US$ and 7 days for @ 45 US$.

Once again, we value your feedback and assure you that the necessary action on your feedback has been initiated.

Thank you.

Trevor Saldanha
Hotel Manager
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed January 6, 2011

During a visit to the Kilimanjaro Kempinski I was shocked to find that nothing of what I have read about this hotel is true. The only person that lived up to the standard written about was the door welcome conisure.
The management blame the BELOW standard service and poor quality of food orders on the staff and had the attitude that "This is the best you will get" even after confirming that it was wrong.
There is much better places in Dar to visit with good service, exellent food at very good prices!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Daan6
Oslo
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Room, service, food were all faultless and this place is worth every penny.

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed December 16, 2010

This is simply an outstanding business hotel in the heart of Dar Es Salaam. You will experience no Tanzanian inconveniences while staying here. Located a harrowing 30-minute drive from the airport, it is an oasis of civilization in chaotic Dar. Recommended without hesitation.

Almaty
Reviewed December 13, 2010

Hotel amenities are nice, but the management needs to put lots of efforts in personnel training. Around 6am (not a busy time for the hotel staff) the water started dropping from the ceiling in the bathroom -I called reception several times asking them to send someone to deal with the situation. 40 minutes later with noone to be seen around, I had to go to the reception and only after I demanded to call the general manager, the reception officer called the duty manager (was very hard to find him, by the way) who started to deal with the situation. Reception staff was completely ignorant, preferring to talk to someone on the phone non stop instead of helping a guest standing in front of them. Duty manager was nowhere to be seen around and did not answer the phone calls- it took about 10 minutes to finally find him. Why the hotel needs a duty manager who is nowhere to be seen when the guests need him?

To make things worse, I never heard a word "sorry" from the hotel staff - only when I said that it's normal to say such words in other hotels when the guests are experiencing troubles due to the hotel's problems, the duty manager managed to say "sorry" just once. They tried to move me to a room which smelled like a garbage dump site and, finally, around 7 am (1 hour after I started complaining about the water leakage) I arrived to a new room which did not smell.

One more thing - the reception officer even started to argue with me when I was explaining the situation to the duty manager when he finally arrived - looks like customer service and hospitality are the areas where the staff needs lots of training.

I've got an impression that hotel management does not really care about wellbeing of their guests and does not seem to be interested in what the guest think about the services. In any other 5 star hotel in the world, a conflict with the guest which lasts for almost one hour would result in general manager being woken up to take care of the sitution - not in this hotel. In any other 5 start hotel a dissapointed guest would hear dozens of "sorry" - not in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business