Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
$293
$153
$101
Harbour View Suites(Dar es Salaam)
$144
$104
  • Breakfast included
Tanzanite Executive Suites(Dar es Salaam)
$223
$182
$156
$115
Travelocity
New Africa Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
$148
$105
Hotel Sapphire(Dar es Salaam)
$92
$89
Travelocity
Tiffany Diamond Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
$84
$64
Agoda.com
All reviewsasian restaurantpalm restaurantinfinity poolrooftop barthe executive loungewonderful hoteltop floormain restaurantbreakfast buffet isan oasisfitness centerclean hotelrooms are comfortablesea viewbusiness tripenjoyed my stayindian ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed just one night while on transit. The hotel is about 25 mins drive from the airport.
Our room was comfortable and overlooked the port. There was a shower and bath tub with the usual standard amenities.
We ordered room service and had the prime steak. The steak was good and reasonably priced. We left at 4:00am and took only 15 mins to get to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank mikelima
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We used to dine and stay at the Kili quite frequently, also many business guest of ours used to stay at the Kili. That was until last week, when we went for the first time after management changed. (now Hyatt, not Kempinski anymore) The former chef has left, the food at the Oriental very poor, changed and boring menu, salty beef. All guest left more than half of their plates.
This weekend we choose to stay at one of their suites. The rooms are great and clean(Kempinski heritage), check in was quick and friendly. But for a suite the overall impression is rather poor, no fruit basket, no welcoming letter. The executive lounge used to offer delicious pastry throughout the day, which has been replaced for some boring cookies, which you receive upon request. The buffet at the palm restaurant not even close to the standard it used to have. And the breakfast buffet an even bigger disappointment. I do not want to list all the shortcomings and changes to the worse. The final negative experience, which made us check out one day earlier, was that when asked if we could take up to the room our hot milk from our breakfast table to do the cereal for my son, they charged us an additional 3500 THS. Even when we asked for early check out, the management didn't even bother to ask for the reasons. All in all disappointed and both for private and for business we will not stay at the hotel again. A shame.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank SKO049
Hyatt Regency D... T, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2011

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all my colleagues at the Hyatt Regency Dar es Salaam, The Kilimanjaro, I would like to apologize for our inability to meet your expectation during your recent visit to the hotel. It has always been our endeavor to offer a quality of service that meets the highest standards in hospitality, it seems that on this occasion we failed. I would like to say that the individual that handled your request for hot milk from the breakfast table failed in his/her responsibility as a hospitality professional, this has been highlighted to the entire team for their improvement. Your feedback is valuable as it allows us to introspect and find permanent solutions to operational issues. The brand transition took place on 1st August and we did experience a few teething issues in the first couple of weeks as is normally the case during such processes but I am happy to say that these have now been resolved.

I would at the same time like to clarify a few points:

The Executive Chef has been with us for the past one year and continues to be here till date. Our Oriental Chef has been at this property since 2005. The menu by and large remains the same just a few of the items were replaced. Your comment on the food, especially the beef has been shared with the kitchen team and I am sure they will not commit the same error again.

In the past The Executive Lounge was stocked with canapes and pastries only during meal periods and not throughout the day. The Regency Club at present offers a sumptuous continental breakfast in the morning after which the lounge dining area is stocked with a variety of whole fruit, cookies, tea, coffee and juices throughout the day. From 6 p.m. we offer unlimited beverage, a variety of canapes and a cheese platter. The Palm buffets, including breakfast, have in fact been enhanced, what has been removed are all the decorative pieces and props which took up space.

In our business every moment is a moment of truth we will learn from this feedback and ensure that there will be no cause for complaint in future.

Trevor Saldanha

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Truly a Five Star Hotel with Five Star Restaurents. Location is a good distance from the airport, and the drive can take an hour in rush hour. Extensive security omni-present.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed for a week at the Dar Kempinski at the end of July 2011 (2 kids + 2 adults on a work/vacation combo). Comfortable with excellent amenities (nice pool, spa, gym). Rooms were large - we had a king bed and two extra beds for the kids with room left over to sit around and work/chat. Rooms were clean and well kept. The main drawback with the hotel is that the service is well meant but a bit on the slow and scattered side. Also, I could be wrong about this, but the staff does not seem to know much about the area around the hotel (nearest ATM if the hotel ATM does not work, local stores, etc.). The restaurants are not great (though the view from the rooftop bar is excellent) - the palm in particular tries to do everything but nothing comes out well. The lounge is the best bet for good food at a good price. All in all, a great place to stay but it could be better given what we paid and given the reputation of the chain.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WanderingLama
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have been several times to Kilimanjaro-Kempinski (nowadays Hyatt), and it is still a relief and joy to enter into their proper 5 star establishment. It is very clear to me that it is the best hotel in Dar Es Salaam. Why?
1.Excellent service. The staff is really helpful, even with small things. As it is an expensive hotel one get quite picky when it comes to details, but here it is usually up to the limit. The porters are my favourit, as they keep on remembering me through all these years I have stayed here. The transfer and taxi drivers are very helpful and although not the cleapest ones around, they do an excellent service for the guests. The only downside with service is that it sometimes takes a bit long to get things happening, but this still Africa and things take time here.
2.Good Location. If you manage to get a room with harbour view you can truly enjoy the big panorama window in you room and to me it is interesting too see out over the busy port, the buzzling streets and the ferrys going out to Kigomani and to Zanzibar.
3. Rooms. They are always well kept, clean and with proper equipment. Only two things here which could be better. The Internet connection is terrible slow and is cutting off all the time, but I know also the difficulties with power supply in the whole region which affects everything. As it is a business hotel the interior is not displaying anything from africa.... which would perhaps give a nice spice to the decor. (minor thing actually).
4. Last, but not least, the food.
-The Mezzini floor Asian restaurant (Oriental) is actually the reason for me to come here time after time. Its a very good restaurant with the best from China, Japan, Indonesia, Mongolia and never I have been dissatisfied with the food.
-The breakfast buffe downstairs is one of the best I have experienced, but upstairs in the business lounge the breakfast is too poor. A bit more choices would be very good. Not like downstairs, but a bit more, please.
-Room service. Better that usual on these kind of hotels. Food is always warm, no mistakes in the ordering-delivering, and a fairly good choice of meals. Very fast and accurate service here again.
-The roof top bar. Very good Mojito and drinks. Sometimes crowdy and noisy and then the service is slow. But in general a very good place to start the evening on. Excellent view again over the port. Relaxing place with good selection of snacks.

I noticed a review here where they were dissapointed on the mattresses. Well, we are all different, and eventhough I also think its not the best possible matresses perhaps i keep coming back.

Keep it up Hyatt, you have a challange in taking over this place!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business