“Good, clean modern rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wista's Inn Bed and Breakfast

Wista's Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 103 Dar es Salaam B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good, clean modern rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

After spending two months working with a charity and pretty much camping the whole time, this little haven was a welcome change. My room was spacious, clean and the hot showers very welcome. I've stayed here a few times during my three month stay and really enjoyed it. 20 mins to the airport (non-peak traffic). If you eat here, the service is slow but nothing in Tanzania is fast so manage your expectations. If you eat here, the fried chicken is great. The rest of the menu wasn't to my taste but you could always head for the shopping mall nearby and eat at Subway or elsewhere.

Room Tip: Recent renovations mean all rooms are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

As far as comfort and services probably more of a 3 out of 5 star but due to its convenient location close to the main bus terminal and to the mall makes it worth it. I've stayed here several times, last time they were building up a new wing and the price had gone up a bit. Clean, safe, and considering in the middle of Dar es Salaam its fairly quiet. Food nothing to write home about but again if you're just getting off a long trip or about to and don't want to go roaming around its decent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Philly, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Visited Wistas (restaurant) 2 times. During both visits I probably experienced the worst service I've had anywhere which is a shame because the establishment is beautiful and has a lot to offer for those looking for a quiet setting with a natural shade to escape the Dar es salaam heat.

My experience
I waited about 5 minutes before I was approached by a waitress who welcomed me but then proceeded to stare at me waiting for me to order something without providing options or a menu. I ordered a soda and requested a menu after she informed me that they did not serve ice coffee. She brought the menu and disappeared to another table where she proceeded to eat her meal right in my view but never once checked on me or asked someone else to assist me. After waiting 20 minutes I called another server who believe it or not was reluctant to come to my table and kept asking me if I was calling her??; after gesturing to her 3 times she finally approached me and took my order. My food arrived in about 30 minutes (grilled chicken, fries and a side of vegetables), and a salt shaker that had a piece of chewed gum on it. The food was not good. The oil used for the fries was dirty as there were black particles on the fries. The chicken was dry and tasteless and the vegetables appeared to have been from a can. During my time here I witnessed the staff ignoring customers, even when they were being called, one server was particularly notorious for this.

I emailed Wistas to inform them about my experience and I was pleasantly surprised to get a response. The gentleman apologized for my experience and said that he made observations and agreed with what I said. He welcomed me back and assured me that I would have a different experience.

So I returned to Wistas and unfortunately my experience this time was worse. I sat down and I was not approached for service. One server asked another to come and attend to me but she declined (unbelievable!!). Eventually I was helped by the receptionist who said it was not her responsibility to serve guests in the restaurant. I observed guests walking to the counter for assistance or to pay their bills or calling the servers for help.

The patrons at Wistas appear to come for the setting and do their work and leave. You will find a lot of people with laptops working as there is free WIFI. Other than selling sodas and a few meals the restaurant appears not busy. If you need a place that you will not be bothered to do some work then this is a good place. If you are looking for an experience then look elsewhere. I did inform a supervisor of my experience on my way out and she appeared genuinely concerned but only time will tell if the service at Wistas will change.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo