“Fine dining in Dar”

Akemi
Ranked #15 of 323 Restaurants in Dar es Salaam
Cuisines: European, Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tanzania's first and only Revolving Restaurant. Enjoy Multicuisine with amazing views of Dar es Salaam city, the harbour and the Indian Ocean.
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Fine dining comes to Dar es Salaam with this revolving restaurant on the top floor of the Jubilee Towers in the CBD. As expected, the views are breath taking though better appreciated in the day time. We booked ahead being a Saturday and were met by the hostess at the door on arrival and shown to the table. As would be expected in a fine dining restaurant the tables are decently spaced apart to allow more privacy. The crockery, cutlery and table settings were of a high standard as befits the establishment. Menus were presented and pre-diner drinks order taken and executed perfectly. The service on the whole was discreet but attentive and there was always a waiter on the floor to watch the tables so well done on that score. I could find no faults with this aspect of the dining experience.
On to the food, the menu was a good mix of items covering all the bases. The menu is mix of modern and classically inspired choices and suites the overall setting of the restaurant. Being a fine dining establishment, the prices of the menu items match, so this is not the place for the budget conscious. having said that however, I felt, (and I say this also as a chef by profession and having worked in many African countries so I am also acutely aware of the cost of good quality ingredients) that you do get what you pay for. Expect to pay about $10 for a starter and up to $25 for a main dish. We started with the beetroot and blue cheese salad and a Ceaser salad. both were good with generous helpings and well presented. We shared the duck as the main which is was tender and tasty. I found the desert menu perhaps a little uninspiring so this could do with a little tweek or two. If I had to knit-pick i would liked to have seen the bread rolls served warm as one may expect in this sort of restaurant. The break between courses was acceptable and overall we did not feel hurried which is as it should be. They appear to have a less formal add on menu featuring gourmet burgers and wraps used for lunch service which is a good call and better suited to a more hurried lunch crowd so that was good thinking on their part.
The furnishings and fittings throughout are of a high standard and the bathrooms spotlessly clean. to their absolute credit there are two small smoking sections cut into the side of the building (kind of reminded me of an airport smoking booth but with better views) perhaps a little single seat chair or two would no go amiss which may take away the "airport feel" however was still grateful that one did not have to go back down the 21 floors to the lobby to smoke so good thinking on their part.
Overall, we enjoyed ourselves and would return again for a special occasion.

2  Thank SamirAbdallahAli
Priya K, Owner at Akemi, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Hi, thank you so much for your insightful review about your visit to Akemi.
Your positive affirmation is very welcome and reassures us that the hard work that we are doing is paying off. I agree that there are areas that need work and this is part of our on-going strategy to complete.
By the way I completely agree with you about our dessert menu - our resident chefs have promised me something fresh, exciting and decadent very soon- so watch this space :-)
All the best to you and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Regards

Reviewed September 13, 2013

The view of Dar es Salaam is breathtaking. Compared to the other restaurants in Dar, I would rate the food a 4+.

The service is somewhat acceptable. I ordered a Beetroot and Blue Cheese Salad, I got a Mediterranean Salad instead. Half way through (still digging for the beetroot), I realised I had been served wrong. The waiter, though apologetic, indicated on the positive (the fact that I enjoyed whatever I got). Perhaps he feared to lose his job?

The Lemon cheesecake and Chocolate (something) were out of this world.

I would come back to Akemi despite the tiny issues.

1  Thank ZedSafarisTanzania
Priya K, Owner at Akemi, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Hi and thank you for taking the time to write a review about Akemi.
I am sorry that you were given the wrong salad and that you weren't given the option to have it replaced. We have added this point to our waiters service training.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your meal and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

the most spectacular 360 view of Dar Es Salaam from the comfort of your table. Magnificent view of the city and good atmosphere. Wonderful fine dining, very classy and just the type of thing one must do when in Dar.

1  Thank Pumla N
Priya K, Owner at Akemi, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hi and thank you so much for your lovely comments.
I hope you'll be back to Akemi during your next visit to Dar.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

great food, great ambiance, nice view and far more than my expectation. For a meat eater like me it was great after couple of days of open buffet & oriental food.

Priya K, Owner at Akemi, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Hi and many thanks for your positive comments about Akemi. I'm glad you enjoyed the ambience, food and service and appreciate your custom. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This restaurant is in 21th floor and is a "revolving" restaurant,so during your dinner the floor rotates.OK.
But isn't enough to say that this is a GOOD restaurant.Menu is so poor and nothing special and prices are so expensive!All the dishes are very small.....We spend close to 60.000 tzs and we left hungry!Probably is the worst restaurant in Dar with the best view.I suggest to owners to review menu because this place could be one of the best place to have a dinner in city center.

3  Thank valeuk23
Priya K, Owner at Akemi, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Hi and many thanks for your review. It's unfortunate that your experience at Akemi was not a positive one. Most people comment on the generosity of our portion sizes but my apologies that you felt that they were not large enough. As far as our menu, we have put it together considering the diversity of the residents and visitors of Dar es salaam, which is why you will find an extensive choice of items to suit a variety of people of various budgets. However it is unfortunate that it was not to your liking. We are always striving to improve our standards and quality. I therefore hope your next visit to Akemi is an enjoyable one.