“Pretty tasty, doesn't entirely fulfill the cravings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Taste of Mexico
Ranked #20 of 299 Restaurants in Dar es Salaam
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: We are a family run restaurant serving delicious Mexican food at a reasonable price. Come taste our mouthwatering burritos, freshly made tacos, and home made Corn Chips. Check out our daily specials too, fajitas, chili con carne and chicken in Mole Sauce! All dishes prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Now serving cocktails!!! We cater for any type of event and we deliver around the peninsula. Karibuni!
Boulder, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty tasty, doesn't entirely fulfill the cravings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

The burritos were quite decent. Mainly, I was really impressed with the shredded beef. Some more work could be put into the surrounding veg, beans, sauces, etc but the meat was delicious. Was a bit disappointed to find the refrigerated meat containers to be fairly expensive. Was very pleased to see the variety of South American options but wasn't too impressed with the quality or freshness of any of them. I was really craving pupusas but they are pretty useless when not cooked fresh to order.

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“The REAL DEAL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'm a Texan who knows the difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican food, and I know quality. The food is authentic Mexican of the highest quality, tucked away at an unsuspecting shop. The prices are reasonable enough (more than local food, but still less than $10 to have your fill, even with a beer), the service fast enough, and the food is delicious. It was the second best Mexican food I've had on the continent, second only to my favorite place in Cape Town which is owned and operated by a Mexican family.
Go for breakfast or lunch - by dinner time, when we ate, all the food had been prepared and was reheated for us. It was still great, but I can only imagine how much better it is just prepared.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dar es Salaam
“Gets the 'authentic' thumbs up from a real Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

My Mexican partner says that the Taste of Mexico food is authentic - high praise. We usually get takeaway, corn tortillas for breakfast etc and pupusas (gorditas) for snacks. The burritos (although texmex) are tasty and they have a vegetarian version. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. A nice place for a quick bite or lunch; they only have two tables outside (on the terrace next to the road) so it's not a venue for a long relaxed sit-down dinner. They also do catering and there's plenty of takeaway stuff (salsas, frijoles refritos, arroz con leche, totopos etc).

Visited March 2013
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Delicioso”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I love the guacamole and the fresh tortilla chips, but my all time favorite is the mango salsa- to die for!

Visited January 2013
Dar es Salaam
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Check the price before you order!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I visited this place once to try it out. At first glance, it is a great lunch spot - the food is good (small portions but ideal for a snack) and the prices are very reasonable.

However herein lies the problem with Taste of Mexico. The prices are not so reasonable after all - they have some serious accounting issues and it is the customers who are expected to make up their shortfall.

After a good snack, from totting up the menu as we waited for the bill, it came to Tsh 16,000 in total. Just as we were commenting on how good the food has been, the waiter told us we could not pay him but must go inside. On doing so, the final bill was handed over - much inflated - (one serving of dulce de leche @ Tsh 10,000!) by the lady from the kitchen. When questioning this I was told that some of the items were twice the price indicated on the menu and I should cover the cost of this mistake. Apparently the menu has been mis-printed, they do not want to deface them by altering them by hand, and it is the customers who ought to make up the difference. As if this was not enough, as an afterthought she then decided to add insult to injury and to revise her already revised bill a second time, slapping a 50% increase on our soft drinks as well.

The business practices at Taste of Mexico are a shame as the food was actually not bad at all, and I would have otherwise returned. My advice would be to avoid at all costs and spend your money somewhere a little more honest. If you do decide to try it, perhaps paying up-front would be a better idea.

• Visited November 2012