“BUYER BEWARE!”

Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed December 31, 2009

I have stayed here on a number of occasions....suffered some set back on customer services...very poor as long as I can remember! This time around topped it! I am still here until the 2nd since I was forced while checking in to pay in advance.....I stayed out at the reception for one hour ....when I asked why the delay as I had my four kids amongst my 4 months old baby with me at the lounge serenaded with mosquitoes....I got a response that it is a new policy to pay in advance otherwise I cannot get a room....imagine my dismay! Wanted to speak to the manager and was told after some feigned efforts to locate him on the phone that he was not on the premises

i had to pay to get my kids to their rooms. once i paid i also got informed that the rooms on block a that i specifically asked for and was told will be available were no longer available as the people in those 3 rooms did not check out....well we took the alternative rooms an when we finally got to the rooms at 8.13 pm the TV reception was poor, some electrical sockets were loose with bared wires....had to move the TV in front of the exposed electricals! For $145 BB rate….

The funniest of all there were no remote controls and when I asked the reception was told I have to deposit some money that will be refunded once I return the remote controls...wooooah......welcome to the whitesands Hotels and Resorts!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mamakili
There are newer reviews for Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort

Reviewed November 2, 2009

The property was very nice. The hotel is located beach-side, up to a 2hr drive outside of Dar es Salaam depending on traffic. Service is ridiculously awful. Food is ok- lots of rice and stews. It is one of the best in the area, but don't expect it to compare to a 4star hotel in a 1st world country.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2009

After my recent stay at White Sands, I am pleased to say that entry to day visitors now seem to be restricted to a limited number. No more crowding on the beach and in the restaurant. I think it is great that the hotel guests gets preference and one can now enjoy the peace and quite, which one came for in the first place. Also thanks to the wonderful chef! Well done. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2009

OK caveats first - We are pampered by "resorts" in more commercialized countries so the laid back attitude was a little startling. Besides, at the price tag, the anticipations were very high. So take the comments with half a pinch of salt.

Check-in: First off, they let us have an early check-in since we arrived 2 hours before we anticipated to. We had booked an oceanview presidential suite, but when we arrived all ocean view suites were either occupied or were being fumigated. Wonder why they won't do the fumigation on slow business days... We offered to wait if they had guests checking out, so we could move into a room later... No. None available later either. When we said we need no less than an ocean view, their response was "this is all we got, take it or leave" Since we were already there and were determined to have a good time nonetheless, we stuck to what we got a "garden view" room for the first night, and then moved to an ocean view for the second. Families with little children know how "fun" it can be to move from one room to another for just a night, but we still did since we'd paid for ocean view, so we moved. And it was worth it. (Photos of both rooms and views uploaded)

Room: Apart from the view and direct access to beach, both rooms were identical. The "Presidential Suite" included two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with showers (no tubs) a kitchenette with a refrigerator/mini bar, microwave (which did not work in our first room!), a sink and lots of cabinets - no cookware, dinnerware silverware! That required a USD 200 deposit!!! So much so for the "fact sheets" on the hotel website!! And they did not even have anything by the dozen. Like for instance, they had only 3 salad forks! And each single piece of silverware was unique, not even from the same ensemble!

What about families planning to have two meals in the room, would we have to do our dishes on our own - no dishwasher, but no detergents either! The tap in the kitchen sink was fitted so far to a corner that the water was practically running at the edge of the sink not close to the center at all! Thank god, we did not have to do too many dishes! You almost feel trapped into eating the pricey mediocre food - some leftovers of uninvited guests, the crows hovering around the dining area all day from breakfast through lunch!

Food: At $13 a pop for breakfast and $25 a pop for lunch and dinner buffets, its WAYYYY to pricey for the service, variety and quality! The open breakfast meats, breads and cheeses attracted tropical insects of all kinds. When I pointed out that there were ants in the honey and jam (served in gravy boats) the waiter just stared at me! When we asked to sit at a table close to the ocean at dinner, they refused to set the table! We had to make do by getting our own plates, and constantly requesting and reminding for silverware and glasses! Room service has a $4 service charge! And given that there's no coffee maker but only instant coffee in-room, $6 for a cup of coffee in the room is definitely expensive. After you pay $320 for the room, that is!

The band playing on weekend nights was pretty decent. The location of the restaurant was amazing. Only wish there was nor barrier between the restaurant and the sand... but that's fine.

Pool and Bar: Pool area was super-crowded on Sunday (with very loud music, and strangely dressed costumed characters), but overall clean and not over-chlorinated at some places. They treat the pool at night and vacuum/clean it in the morning, so 9-ish is the ideal time to swim in clean water without the crowds. You have to get the towels from the lobby by showing the room key though. Wish they'd seated someone AT the pool offering this service! Takes the charm out of the experience...Bar was pricey and there is not much variety. But the staff are friendly.

Housekeeping: The turn down service is nice. They spray the rooms with bug repellants. Let them know ahead if you're allergic to those. The draw the mosquito nets etc.

When we were moved to the Ocean view room on the second day, there was straight black hair all over the bed! YUCK!!! To think they don't even change the sheets between guests! YUCK YUCK! When we called housekeeping they sent two women with one set of flat sheets. These women then called their supervisor from our room and asked to send someone to bring duvet covers. Did NONE of them (including the supervisor) know or remember to change sheets between guests?!!! Do they really need four people intervening to fix the problem. Then the three of them changed all the sheets in both rooms! Phew! No apologies, they only showed a tired, worn out look as if we were overworking them... please folks, for the $320 that you charge at least have your staff smile!

Water World: Terrible place for kids! The water was DIRTY, and slides had worn out paint, rust in some places, it was a teeny tiny area, not a world exactly. We did not let the kids in there.

Beach: This is TOTALLY the highlight of the stay! The beach is fantastic. Lots of sea weed. They try to clean em up, but you can't win against Nature. The weeds did not keep us from having an awesome time in the water, on the sand, and we even took a trip to the Mbudya island. Use the beach on the campsite side. Its rocky but much calmer here.

Gym: Really good equipment. View from treadmill is fantastic. Great way to run - with sea breeze on your face!

Overall OK but for the price tag. Prefer to go for a room with breakfast. Too pricey if no meal is included. Beach is awesome! The kids will have lots of fun!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2009

The price is very high for the conditions offered, is justified only if breakfast included would cost over $ 75. I lived in Jwangwani hotel and I dining them - I recommend the same for any move on here!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2009

During our 3 week trip in TZ we had to spend one night here and it was one night too many! - considering it sells itself as a 4/5 star hotel I would have to strongly disagree with their perception of what a 4/5 star hotel is! Friends of ours used to run this place and they were shocked when I told them of the cockroaches in our rooms, cold water and rubbish food service! It is clearly now a business centre where conferences are held and I felt very sorry for the families who were booked in for a holiday!
The location in Dar is great but for the price it is NOT worth it! just a little way down the beach is Jangwani - a more local hotel which would give you a better deal I'm sure!
White sands is fine for a day visit but don't stay for dinner - we had fresh fish of the day and were quite ill in the night!
A very disappointing stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was a bit anxious as the 2009 reviews for this hotel were mostly negetive. We were 15 in all and took 3 self catering apartments. the apartment were connected with interlinked doors. was very clean. service was good and the staff friendly as well. The beach was cleaned everyday of weeds.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family