“Nice to say”

Ranked #11 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Nice to say”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was at white sand hotel for a couple of weeks and l would say it was a 'home away from home' a Ghanaian friend who was also at the facility said.

l have gone around in several beach hotels and l have to confess despite little irregularities that befall any place, the hospitality facility is worth an accolade.

The beach is clean and put.The room attendants are a honest and charming team that will always let you kept a tore with family back home. The smiles are for free and a free chat if you wish are at your disposal from bar attendants to waiters and waitresses.

Food was superb not least to mention an excellent breakfast that takes care of, least to say, almost all diets.

But rough to say, way to the rooms is so long and the worst comes when the card to your room is faulty. I was a victim twice and l felt so awful.

Room Tip: Ask the receptionist to give you a room on the first floor and you will enjoy a good view of the oc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Fred,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. It is extremely important for us to know when we get it wrong and even more for us to know when we get it right. Your comments on the facility has been a real morale booster for the management and STAFF at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused with the electronic door lock system. We have put new measure in place to avoid similar incidents in the future.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel.

Jacques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed there recently and i have nothing bad to say about this Hotel the service i got was very good and staff was very helpful and i would recommend anyone to stay there the facilities was very clean and the food was great i would definitely stay there in future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Charl,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about your recent stay at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. The positive feedback is well received. My management and STAFF would be extremely proud to hear of their achievement.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Margate, South Africa
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recently facilitated a strategic planning conference at this hotel. The potential and setting is great but unfortunately we were let down but below average service and will probably never go back to a resort that should attract you back again and again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GDTravelsMargateRSA
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear GDtravelsMargate,

Thank you for your recent review. I am extremely disappointed to learn about your poor service experience. We take your feedback very seriously as every effort is being made to focus on service excellence.

I would like to request that you kindly contact me directly at gm@hotelwhitesands.com as it is crucial for me to investigate the areas we are lacking in.

Looking forward to your reply.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent two weeks at the White Sands hosting a conference. I must say it was overall one of my best hotel experiences in Africa, and I've travelled pretty widely on the continent in the last three plus years. The staff were very polite, helpful and well-organized. From both a personal and conference standpoint I have absolutely no complaints about any of my interactions with the staff. My room was comfortable and reasonably well-equipped, although probably to a 3-star level in European terms. But it was tidy, clean, and in good repair, so no issue for me. Mosquitoes are a concern, and while normally African mosquitoes completely ignore me, Tanzanian ones clearly do not, therefore I was grateful for the built-in mosquito netting around the bed.

The hotel's ground are spacious and varied; there's an extensive beach, pool, lawns and a very long pier into the Indian Ocean. With no rental car and the conference every day, it was nice to be able to 'get out' even if that was just around the hotel grounds. Rare for Africa, the hotel also has an entirely adequate gym which looks out over the pool and beach.

Only complaints: Wi-Fi was patchy - I could do basic surfing in my room, but no Skype or Facetime. Even in the lobby it really depended on where you sat, so I did spend a few days 'signal hunting' around the grounds until I found a strong spot. Still, the Wi-Fi was above-average for any hotel I've been at in Africa so far. Other complaint was the AC. Mine was limited to min 20C, but there's no way it ever got that cool in the room. More like 23-25. Of my colleagues, two had to be moved for ACs that either didn't work or broke down during their stay. We also lost the AC in the entire conference suite for a day, which was miserable. Also, the business centre is very pricey for printing and copying. Use sparingly.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean. Only question is ground level versus upper level and distance from main bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear UK _GATOR_67,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay here at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. Rating us as one of your best stays in Africa over the last 3 years have bowled us over. I will certainly share your views with the management and STAFF. This will definitely assist us in motivating them and improving our services.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused with your connection to our WI-FI. We are currently upgrading our infrastructure to improve the WIFI experience and we are also in the process of replacing the AC's in the rooms.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you be in the area next time around.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre.

Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed across the street at the Seascape, but wanted to eat a couple of meals at White Sands near the beach. I went twice and had two bad experiences: 1) the first time was for lunch and the meal was fine, but I happened to notice that an extra 10,000 T shillings had been added to my bill. This was then corrected. The second time I wanted to go for lunch again, but was told that I had to pay 12,000 T shillings in order to come on the property and go to the restaurant! (basically being asked to pay twice for lunch!). If this is the way the place is run, it's not for me!

Dear Antiotraveler11,

Thank you for commenting on your experience at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Your comments are taken seriously and the areas you have identified will be looked at in more detail to enable us to improve on our shortcomings. Please feel free to contact me personally during your next visit and I will gladly show you around the premises. Alternatively we can offer you a sea facing room or apartment right on the beach. This will certainly avoid the inconvenience of having to pay an entrance fee to enjoy the hotel facilities.

Kind regards

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed June 17, 2013

White Sands is situated on a long strip of land, with rooms facing the sea and the white sandy beach. The setting is very beautiful. The rooms are comfortable and there is free wi-fi throughout the hotel and rooms. The buffet meals offer a wide selection of food. The staff are very polite and pleasant. I was there on a conference and did not make use of the swimming pool, beach or other amenities, so I can't comment. I did not pay for the stay and do not actually know the rates so I cannot comment of value for money. By the way: there is a little shop at the hotel that sells curious, slippers, some jewellery, swimming costumes and other odds and ends.

Room Tip: I stayed first on a first floor individual, double bed room and later moved to share an apartment wi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Fernanda,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay with us. We really appreciate good, honest feedback as it allows us to improve on our product and services even more. Your comments on the facilities and location are well received, thank you. I will ask my TEAM to contact you with regard to rates and other fun activities to do int he area. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre.

Coventry
Reviewed June 6, 2013

My first time in Tanzania. Three nights in this lovely hotel. A real surprise. Room was really nice with everything you need including a good net around your bed. Yes you do get Mozzies here but that's Africa... Room overlooked pool and the Indian Ocean. Hotel I think is quite at this time of year but there are plenty of places to soak up the sun.

Yes beach is white and it is cleaned daily. Sadly was working so not able to partake of all the facilities including a gym. Food was good but on downside not always hot (maybe related to low numbers of guests).

Staff are great. very attentive and helpful. Nothing too much trouble. Bar area is great and recommend a early evening trip to the end of the pier for a few beers before dinner with a sea breeze.

All in all a great experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Cookie,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. We really appreciate your constructive feedback. My STAFF and management will be delighted to hear that they have once again met our GUESTS expectations. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience experienced during our food service. You will be pleased to know that we have already put measures in place to avoid similar incidents from happening.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you and the family and friends back to the hotel.