“Great beach location; average standard”

Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed a couple of times at the hotel on business. The beach is a lovely stretch with some great views; the bar on the pier extending into the water is a spectacular setting. The exteriors are generally well landscaped and well maintained. The restaurant is a good location with lovely beach and sea views.

The rooms are a good size with nice balconies and views. However, the decor is quite dated and the quality of fittings are not up to par. Also, the airconditioners are not well maintained and can fail at times. The place needs a thorough refit to a higher standard to do it justice.

The service lets the place down. With a few exceptions, it can be surly at times and takes ages. The food is distinctively average; and the place can get quite crowded with day trippers over the weekend.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Magic Carpet Ride,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. It is always great to see that our GUESTS also appreciate the hotel's facilities and breathtaking scenery.

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of the management and STAFF at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre for the slow service and below average quality food you ahve experienced during your stay with us. Please note that this by no way reflect the proud service and quality we are usually proud to offer.

Please feel free to contact me personally whenever you are in the area again.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards

Jacques de Jager

There are newer reviews for Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort

Reviewed March 1, 2013

if you are considering a beach holiday then head to White sands, hotel has a really long beach line and extremely ample space for the kids to play and for you to take a walk or a jog! Beautiful.

However, friends visiting you may have to part with TSH 10,000 at the Gate!

Room Tip: ask for the rooms facing the ocean front
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Seme I,

Thank you for posting your review about your stay at Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre. Great care is taken to ensure the best possible GUEST service and providing top class facilities at our hotel. You will be pleased to know that we have recently added wood fired pizza to our menu and plaid a stone path alongside the beach area. This will allow jogging and cycling to become more enjoyable. We are also in the process of upgrading our water sport facilities too.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel White Sands, Resort and Conference Centre soon.

Jacques de Jager

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed one night for a business meeting.

Note: the hotel is far outside of town (can take 60-90 min in rush hour to downtown DarEsSalaam); but for a business meeting, I would not know why you would want to go there, as there a better alternatives in Dar or in Zanzibar. I also would have some doubts swimming in the bay.

The good: nice grounds, beach and pool, good sized rooms overlooking the gardens and beach.

The bad: Rooms definitely need some updating (e.g. bathroom was old, water pressure was poor) and food is mediocre and un-inspiring.

Service was OK.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear Razzmatazz0,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the White Sands Hotel and Resort. Your feedback is important to us as it is important to know what we do right, but more importantly what we do wrong.

Hopefully the road project will be reaching completion soon and traffic will return to normal, currently we are investigating the possibility of new transport methods via air and sea and hopefully have this option available within the next two to three months.

We are making every effort to make the bay more attractive and we have already received great reviews about other GUESTS enjoying the waters.

Thank you for the compliment on the gardens and grounds and other facilities, great care is taken to make this possible.

Last but not least, we are currently in a refurbishment program and we are doing our best to complete this within the coming months.

Should you be in the area on your next trip to Dar es Salaam, please ask for me and I will ensure that you get the well deserved service we are usually proud to offer.

Yours in Hospitality

Jacques

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've never stayed her but often visit to use the pool and beach and get some food.
On the weekend it is very expensive to get in, sometimes you have to select the buffet option even if you dont want to eat. Sometimes the place is booked for a wedding and closed which can really ruin your plans.
The buffet and food on the whole is pretty average. The security are tight, not necessarily polite. The beach is quite nice but the sea around Dar is pretty dirty. plenty of beach shade, but it can get really busy so early arrival is best. During the week its much cheaper and a great place to chill and have a swim.
i went to a wedding here also, when the bar ran out of drink we had to walk across the other side to the bar. The staff were too busy standing around to bring us more drink which we would have tipped heavily for. Oh well, they missed out.
Sometimes they have a show or music of some kind which is quite nice. i dont think I'd stay here unless i got a room at a discounted price.
The hotel certainly looks nice and there is a large carpark with some shade, nice planting and pergolas.
There is a table tennis table and a gym but i'm unsure if they are for guests only.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jacques d, General Manager at Hotel White Sands - The Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Dear Andy,

On behalf of management and STAFF I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you were caused during your stay at the White Sands Hotel and Resort. Please know that this by no means reflect the high standard of service we are usually proud to offer.

Currently we are upgrading all facilities including the beach. We have now introduced new options which will certainly add value and quality to our prices.

Please fell free to come and say when ever you are in the area and I will be glad to assist you in any way possible.\

Kind Regards

Jacques

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I joined my partner on the first night of his stay at White Sands for a work conference and we were both appalled.

After checking in with a rather surly receptionist, we arrived in our room. It was fine - an ok size with a comfortable bed etc. but nothing special (and it smelled a bit funky, like damp in the air conditioning). We were starving, having not eaten in several hours, so decided to order room service to avoid the blaring music from the live band playing near the restaurant. The room phone didn't work, so we walked back across the resort to the reception to order the food and ask that the phone be fixed. It seemed they really didn't believe the phone was working, but they sent someone anyway who agreed there was a problem and promised to return.

More than an hour later there is no sign of the phone man or the food. Eventually the food turns up and we were nothing short of horrified. We had ordered onion rings which I actually laughed at when I opened - small, soggy and sad looking on the plate, with hardly any batter, and at a quantity that made them cost more than 1000 shillings per ring. Next up was the vegetable burger, which was more of a stew on some bread, spilling down the sides. I'm not sure what it was made of, but they'd massacred it with spice but to no avail, it was still disgusting. The chicken schnitzel sandwich wasn't much better, and was a third of the size of the bun it came in. The chips were under-cooked and soggy, the salad one one plate was just shredded lettuce and on the other one slice of tomato and two sliced of cucumber (all wilted), and the entire lot was cold. Unbelievably, we contemplated eating the mess just because we were so hungy, but in the end couldn't.

With no phone, we had to walk back to reception again to complain, by which time we were furious. The duty manager came to look at the meal (again with a distinct air that he didn't believe us) and agreed that the food wasn't good enough. After disappearing to talk to the chef, he agreed that we didn't have to pay for the food, and instead directed us to the restaurant dinner (which didn't start for another hour and which we'd have to pay for). That dinner was better, the buffet was fine, though the vegetable and lentil curry was very salty.

We were informed that there was a problem with the phone line but nothing else happened...

Breafast the next day was ok, and we were greeted by the chef (who happened to be standing there, it wasn't planned) who again didn't seem to believe our story of the night before until we showed pictures. He apologised and said it would be sorted.

Lunch turned into another joke. I turned up at 12, needing to leave at 1pm (a fact I informed the staff of) to get to the airport. Since lunch didn't start until 12.30, I ordered from the bar menu and went for a salad with a side of chips thinking it would be easy and fast. Despite chasing my food, nothing had arrived by 12.55, at which point I had to leave my partner (who was part way through a work lunch) to cancel my order while I headed to the airport hungry. The hotel did eventually agree that we didn't have to pay for that meal either, but that didn't prevent me from having to gobble snacks on the airplane 3 hours later to make up for my missed meal.

The hotel is miles out from the town centre (or from anything really) so you've not got a choice of where to eat of what to do.

We freely admit that this sort of resort complex really isn't to our taste, and we'd never have chosen to stay there if it were a pleasure trip. But that doesn't excuse the poor service and food, particularly given the price.

As it happens I had cut my stay there short - how glad of that I am now!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EllieandAlexis
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hotel lacks service. It has awful hospitality and the management are rude and dismissive. We stayed for a wedding and whilst the location is stunning, you find yourself not being able to enjoy it because you spend all your time sorting out the issues with your room. The rooms are not particularly clean and for the entire duration of my stay we had no water or not hot water to shower with. When reported to reception nothing would happen and you would have to follow it up several times before anything was done. Going to the reception was a nuisance because the resort is so big and so a 10-15 minute walk when all you want is a shower is annoying to say the least. Even when the water was 'fixed' it would only last for maybe one person to shower and then the same would happen again. We were told this was because the plumbing was old; however as a paying guest this was not my problem.

There is no such thing as hotel management at this hotel with the managers fobbing you off like 'its no big deal' so clearly they are aware of the problems but do not care. The food is never replenished at the breakfast buffet and the staff give the impression that they would rather not be there. The only helpful member of staff was the bell boy.

Room Tip: Do not pick the rooms starting with 400 they are awful and never have water and when they do it is f...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nutan s
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at White Sands hotel for a few days and had a really poor experience. The hotel needs to fire its managers, as they are not doing their job. On the first night I ordered some food then returned to my room. When I was called to say it was ready I asked that they bring it to my room. After waiting 20 minutes, I walked down to the restaurant (a 30 second walk from my room) to ask that they give it to me directly. The idea of paying a service charge to wait that long for cold food was too much. On the second night, I ordered room service at around 6pm. While waiting for it to arrive, I fell asleep. Upon waking up at 7:30, I realized they had never brought it. When I went to the kitchen, they explained that they had never received the order, despite my having confirmed my room # on the phone. Oddly, this poor service is besides a large number of staff, who prefer to chat rather than serve the customers. The location of the hotel makes it a pain to go to the Peninsula or town - it's expensive and the traffic is brutal. The exchange rate is really bad - 1500 to 1 USD vs. 1580 or 1600 in town - as with their remote location they can get away with it. Finally, when I asked for a second copy of my receipt when leaving they refused to provide one. Oh, and the wireless internet, for which you have to pay extra each day, was just a single bar in my room.

Avoid the hotel if you can.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business