“It takes more than friendly staff...”

Peacock Hotel Limited
Ranked #58 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
“It takes more than friendly staff...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel may be coasting on some old days bygone when there was no competition,but this hotel needs to keep up - there are others who offer superior service for better prices. But the stafd are very friendly.

We had a frustrating conference experience as we were put in a shady building in the back which required getting lost in stairways and parking lots trying to find the way. Broken overhead projector,no screen. But the stafd are very friendly.

Overall a frustrating experience. Will not use this place again and would recommend against using it for conferences. So, the staff are very friendly,but that can only get you so far.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Surfacescan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mombasa, Coast, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have been to this hotel before but my January 2013 overnight stay was a great dissapointment. The hotel is well located in downtown central Dar es Salaam.This was a business trip to nearby government offices,hence my choice of Peacock in order to avoid the traffic jams prevalent during peak hours.The exterior and hotel lobby were immaculately clean.Check in was fast but my frustration started after check in.I was allocated room 618 on the sixth floor.My dissapointment was that wi-fi signal was erratic.I did immediately take it up with the receptionist enquiring why I was allocated a room that has no/weak wi-fi signal when I had insisted ,prior to check in, that I wanted a room with wi-fi and had been given prior assurance.A technician was despatched who,upon entering my room, stated that it is only the 6th floor lobby that has a strong signal.Meaning:I have to leave my air conditioned room with my ipad and work on the couch of the 6th floor hotel lobby under the sweltering heat!No alternative room was offered.Here was a question of credibility of the staff.If they knew that they did not have a free room with a strong wi-fi signal they should have told me from the outset when I had enquired at the time of wanting to check in. Admission after I have paid is a rip off and dishonest act.The next issue was the shower.It was not working in the morning when I wanted to rush to my meetings.Water was coming from the tap but not the shower.It was not functional!I had to take a bath using my hands from the knee high tap and splash myself with the water.Does the hotel have maintenance?Maybe , but I did not have the time to wait and witness a plumbing job.That was not what I came for.I did protest and checked out the same morning.The positives: courteous and cheerful staff,good breakfast buffet.All in all,it was not worth the USD 95 at all.

Room Tip: rear rooms are better to avoid the highway traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Munir T

Travelers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Cairo Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is an Excellent Cheap hotel for Short stay.
For 85 USD BB this is the best you can get in city center so far.
The rooms are tiny & outdated but Clean.
Breakfast is repetitive but fine.
3 times a week they provide Open buffet with live entertainment. The best was the Tanzanian traditional show. This only cost 20 USD.
The staff is friendly & kind.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AMFCairoEgypt
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed here most of the times I am in dar es salaam which is about twice a year. The hotel is in a convenient location on the main road. The staff are excellent and welcome you with genuine Tanzanian hospitality. The rooms are very clean and decent. The food is superb and the breakfast selection is wide and excellent. There is a special Tanzania themed night on Wednesdays?? That is good for enjoying local cuisine and listening to local music. Try it and you will love it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ennis, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I love the friendliness of this hotel. Conventiently located, very friendly staff, fine food and - for us the highlight - each Wednesday's 'Tanzanian Night', with an extensive buffet of good-quality local food. Nice park opposite and good walks around the hotel, especially in the early evenings.

Room Tip: For the Tanzanian Night book a table near the entertainment in advance and arrive at 6.55 pm
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank RovingMike123
Gainesville,Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Stay at Peacock for two months, the true Tanzanian Hospitality!!! They do everything to help you, the food is delicious especially if you participate on the Monday Grill Night by the swimming poll, and the Tanzanian night at the 8th floor where you can see the beautiful view of Dar Es Salaam! I really enjoyed my experience at Peacock City Center Hotel and I recomend you to stay there!

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Graziela C
Hastings, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

My daughter and I spent a night at The Peacock before catching our flight back to England. We also had dinner there (Indian buffet) which was expensive and not very good. The room at $130 was very expensive for what it offered. On getting out of bed (we had been given a double bed inspite of booking twins) I gashed my leg on a broken rusty metal spring sticking out of the side of the mattress. I reported this to the management whose attitude was "it is not our fault". We eventually met with the manageress who couldn't really be bothered and offered us $30 off the bill in compensation. We negotiated a bigger discount but our time was limited as we had to leave for the airport after my leg was bandaged. The whole attitude towards service seemed wrong and the lack of concern was upsetting. I could not recommend this hotel. It was an unfortunate end to a very good holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family