“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #62 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Malden, NL
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I was here for a business stay for 5 days by the end of March 2011. Rather small room, the bed was comfortable. The airco was blowing over the desk so, when working, after a while you are freezing. In the room there is no other light than the one on the ceiling, so no lamp on the desk, no on the bed stands. The internet was working OK. Old fashioned TV, not the flat screen that is shown on the website. Anyway, the website pictures are much nicer than reality is! Be prepared to have no view from the room. I was looking at a wall on a distance of about 2 meters. The food in the restaurant was terrible, don’t go there for dinner. The problem is that the area around the hotel does not look very promising either. All in all I have mixed feelings about this hotel, I would rate it 2 to 3 stars.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mianel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
san francisco
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I don't know why it took me so long to write. I have stayed at the Peacock many times over the past few years and they have always been a great place to stay for me, my family and friends. Their service is top notch, they are most courteous and accommodating. The owner, Mr. Mfugale, and his family deserve ten stars for building and maintaining such a lovely place to rest weary bones after a long flight (or a long mountain climb!). I highly recommend my favorite place to land in Dar es Salaam.

Room Tip: ask for a city or ocean view
Stayed February 2011
1 Thank sawasawa
Siena, Italy
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I was in Dar es Salaam in August 2010 and was looking for a hotel to stay for a couple of days. Because I know the city well, I went around comparing hotel room prices before I made up my mind. I eventually arrived at Peacock Hotel in a car and had to park in the hotel's parking lot (the only one available) before going to the hotel front desk. At the reception, I was told that a room would cost US$120 per night. Immediately NEXT to Peacock Hotel, there are other hotels and I decided to quickly go there to ask if rooms were available and compare the cost. I found a place called Sofia House and Apartments that provided me with a double room, kitchen and a sitting room at US$ 70. I decided to stay at Sofia House. Then I went back to take my car. Peacock Hotel staff was very furious that I was going to stay at Sofia House and not Peacock. They angrily demanded that I pay them money for parking in their lot. I refused to pay as I was convinced that it was the wrong way of making money. Above all, I believed that being punished for choosing a hotel of my choice was unacceptable. The hotel security started harrassing and assaulting me both verbally and physically. The hotel director and manager - Mr Joseph & Damas Mfugale came to the "scene" and condoned the harrassment. In the end, I gave them an expired ID on a false promise that I would come back to bring them money and take my ID - which I never did and they still have my expired ID.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jungu2005

Travelers are raving about these Dar es Salaam hotels

Hannover
Reviewed October 25, 2010

This hotel is located right in the city centre of Dar es Salaam and not too far away from the airport. Therefore it is both a good location for business or private trips to Dar es Salaam and a good stopover for travels to other destinations all over Tanzania.

The area around the hotel is not too pleasant and inviting. For sure it is not a quarter where you would enjoy to go window-shopping at night. But on the other hand: For such purposes you will not find a lot of much better places in Dar es Salaam. And entering the hotel you will soon forget the world outside as you will find a very distinguished and comfortable atmosphere. The whole staff is friendly and helpful.

The rooms are spacious, well equipped and clean. A WiFi connection is available for an extra charge. Due to the location of the hotel many rooms cannot offer a fantastic sight. Looking out of my window I could only stare at the wall of the big building next door which was about three metres away.

The breakfast buffet was o.k., nothing to complain about, but nothing to be called extraordinary as well.

So if you look for a good accommodation in downtown Dar es Salaam at a reasonable price the Peacock Hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank African_Lion26
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed just 1 night enroute to Arusha. It is in the city center so it was ok to walk around the neighborhood in the day but it didn't look very safe at night.

The good: My room was very clean and the hotel was a good value. We ordered a la carte from the restaurant and it was very good.

The bad: My brother's room was full of cockroaches that went scurrying when they turned on the lights. And the hotel shuttle driver made us miss our flight. The ATM at the airport ate our ATM card upon arrival. The shuttle driver insisted on driving us to the bank the next morning to retrieve out card. We explained that it was more important that we make our flight as we had other cards in the group. He insisted and claimed to know the city traffic very well. Needless to say, he got us caught in a traffic jam and we missed our flight. The traffic jam didn't appear to be as a result of an accident or construction. It appeared to be the normal traffic for that time of morning leading us to believe he didn't know the traffic in the city as well as he claimed.

Stayed July 2010
2 Thank OC_Adventurer
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 15, 2010

the name actually defines the location, its located in the center of the city, wether you want to go to the out skirts-airport or twoan side near(hotel new africa) from here most places are at a distance of 10-15mins
taxis easily available like at most hotels.

the staff is v. helpful-curteous,
rooms: are old but clean, tv sets a changing some of them now equipped with lcds, a/c's working fine,
breakt fast: is average, however, if you ask something in paticular the staff mostly manages it.
events through the week: couple's dinner, Tanzania nites and grill nite are std. every week food is good, internet is slow in some rooms, however we were lucky and speed was fine through our stay.
bathrooms/washrooms: small but work fine, vanity could be improved
if its business the price is worth your stay, not really for someone whoose looking for luxury

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank gurprs
Melbourne
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We had cold water and was told by staff if you run it for 40 minutes you will get hot water After spending 10 days in a village we were looking forward to a hot shower. the drainage came up and filled the floor by toilet Were promised breakfast at 5 so we could catch plane but no breakfast arrived We were just told " Sorry". and then to top it off the lift doors would not open. Lucky we only had 1 floor to take the stairs

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple