New Africa Hotel
$101
Harbour View Suites(Dar es Salaam)
$144
$104
  • Breakfast included
Sea Cliff Hotel(Dar es Salaam)
$293
$153
Hotel Slipway(Dar es Salaam)
$140
$110
Agoda.com
$201
$180
Jangwani Seabreeze Resort(Dar es Salaam)
$65
$53
Travelocity
All reviewsthai restauranttop floorpleasant roomrenovations goingclub roomnice hotelsmall gymmeeting roomharbour viewexcellent breakfastcentral locationspent one nightclean roomsenjoyed my stayafricazanzibarbusiness
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2009

New Africa Hotel is OK, but really nothing special, it’s basically a 3 star hotel with terrible service. We took the sea view room and could barely sleep from the wind whistling through the poorly designed sun shades.

Food is well below average, although it has the only Thai place in DAR.

Only good point 10 USD for 24 hours of better than average (for Africa) internet.

Also if you have breakfast check the expiry dates on the yogurt, most were weeks out of date. Little scary in Africa if the kitchen does not catch that sort of thing.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Max S
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review and i look forward to seeing you at New Africa again. We have taken note of your feedback and will improve immediately. We have fully renovated the hotel now so we request you to please give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed May 8, 2009

Business trip - so most cost wasn't a personal issue for me. My room overlooking the swimming pool was quite quiet. My colleague's room overlooked the main road and was nosier. Both were of equal standard; typical basic hotel rooms. One caveat - bottled water in the room is very expensive, and if you go in Feb you WILL need lots. There is a small supermarket around the corner that sells bottles more cheaply.

There is a Happy Hour in the bar every evening, so we returned from work, showered, cooled down and changed, went to the bar and then into dinner - and that was our quite acceptable routine. The bar was usually quiet, but on Friday, it was heaving - there were several pretty ladies there and some of the guys my age appeared to be batting well above their weight. Maybe they were just lucky.

Air con in the rooms was good, it was fine in the bar and restaurants, but less so in Reception. It was actually poor in the hallways where you wait for the lifts, and the lifts themselves were bad - get 8 guys in there with an outside temperature of 34C and every time the lift stops at another floor, The groans got worse. there is also good security - you need you key card to get into the lift and to get from the lift well to any of the main room corridors.

Food in the restaurants was good, but the menu never changed. We tried all 3 restaurants, but declined the bar food - hamburgers and fast food mainly - although it seemed to be popular. There are 3 kinds of lager on offer in the bar and there is a good selection of wines in the restaurants.

There is a pool outside, but so shaded by the 4 sides of the hotel, so we didn't feel tempted. There is also a small gym, but again nothing special. There is an expensive Business Centre, you can purchase wireless internet access cards for your room and there is a small souvenir shop, selling postcards and stamps, in the foyer. A nice touch was a mobile phone charging station to the side of Reception, although you are cautioned to watch your phone - in that heat though, it wasn't ideal.

What did I like most? - The room and the food. Like least - same menu every night and being woken at 5am every morning.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Clancolin

Reviewed January 5, 2009

I am a frequent visitor to Dar es Salaam, Based on my business visit, this time i came with my family & enjoyed my stay as usual. the rooms are good, food is great & the hospitality is warm.

I would suggest all to stay here either on business or with your families.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed October 13, 2008

2 nights stay on 29th and 30th September 2008. This is my second time staying at this hotel. I was at another hotel for a night and I made up my mind to change to New Africa for the rest of my stay. Reason is simple, the food and service at restaurant is good, room is clean with good view, hotel is peaceful, casino is good place to past your time (if you have any). I will definitely come back to New Africa Hotel if I am in Dar again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed October 5, 2008

In the last two years I have travelled extensivelyin East africa and found even international brands lacking the service but this hotel service impressed me. Friendly staff and good food with a nice comfortable room and a great view of the harbour.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business