“Thank you very much to have found my Casio”
Review of New Africa Hotel

New Africa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Bujumbura, Burundi
“Thank you very much to have found my Casio”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

At first I would have not choosen to stay at New Africa. The area looks a bit crowded. However I founded it very useful as I could access any shops/banks in a working distance. The staff are young, caring and helpful. It is a big change from my first stay in another hotel, years back when none of the staff could barely speak English.
At New Africa, I loved the morning music when I took my breakfast.
Last but not the least, I realized that security of the residents is a top priority at New Africa! Could you believe that I forgot my watch (I bought a week earlier in Budapest) at 7pm by the swimming pool and realised at midnight that I forgot it. When I called their reception, they told me that I could come down to collect my valuable watch!!! Could not believe it my eyes.
Only for that I will come back to New Africa.

Room Tip: Choose the room on the highest floor to their great view on the sea!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

Its very heartening to note that you had such a pleasant stay at the hotel. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team members. Its great to see that all the hours spent in personnel training are paying off. Glad that you enjoyed the overall food and beverage at the hotel.
Thank you for appreciating the effort of our front desk supervisor , Ms.Diana in ensuring that your watch was kept safe once found at the poolside. I have already conveyed your compliments to her and she was overjoyed.

Looking forward to hosting your next stay at the hotel.

Shanker Narayanan
GM & Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We were in Tanzania on vacation and spent 2 nights in Dar es Salaam before our trip to Zanzibar. I wouldn’t have opted for a better hotel. Its location is right in the centre of the city, complete with an amazing ocean view which makes you get a real feel of the beauty that Dar es Salaam has to offer.
The Thai restaurant had the most amazing sweeping views of the busy harbor. We were told the hotel is newly renovated, which shows in the complete hands on approach by all the staff of the hotel. They were ever attentive and always greeted us with a big smile & said our names (which is very rare).
The bar is my favorite specially on Friday nights and Sat nights with a band and music and the works.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

We are delighted to read your feedback. It is great to note that you had such a lovely stay with us and that the team took good care of you. Your comments on the Thai restaurant as well as the Onyx bar lounge are well received. The team will be thrilled to see your comments. Its feedback such as yours that motivates the team to do better and strive for higher levels of customer satisfaction.

Looking forward to hosting your next visit in Dar!

Onati, Gipuzkoa
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed three nights partly for old times' sake, as this hotel was built in the 1960s, when I lived and worked in DSM as a young man. It was a favourite haunt of top politicians and others. It deteriorated later of course, but has been pretty well refurbished not long ago, and the location is still the best in the city IMHO. I had a room on the 8th floor, the highest with rooms, and facing the harbour, a great view. I also liked overlooking the Lutheran church, being woken at 7.00 by the faint noise of hymn singing is not a bad way to start the day. The Thai restaurant on the top floor is fine, again with the wonderful view. The other restaurant on the 2nd floor is less good, it tends to have a buffet. I went in at 7,30 pm on a Sunday to check it out, some of the dishes looked a bit dried out, but the choice seemed OK. I decided to have a beer in the bar first and watch the end of a football match, by the time I went back the restaurant was full of a large party of burly African men. The staff said I should stay, and I thought at least there would be freshly cooked food, but there were so many diners they did not leave much. However, a chef did bring me some freshly cooked fish, and the manager came and apologised in the end and only charged me for the soup.

Room Tip: the higher the better, and on the harbour side for the view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for visiting the hotel after so long. It nice to hear that you like the refurbished avatar. Its great to hear your feedback on the Thai restaurant as well as the staff and service in general. Glad that you enjoyed your stay. I have noted your comment on the dining experience at the Bandari Grill. We do not have buffets in the evening at the restaurant. However if there is a specific request we do put out a buffet. There is an exhaustive a la carte menu that is available at both the lounge as well as the dining room. Our restaurant team erred in not presenting the same to you. I am sure that you would have enjoyed the selection. But then there is always the next time!

Hope to see you soon on your return to Dar.

On behalf of the team,

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very nice boutique art-deco hotel. I understand they have recently gone thru an extensive renovation program which makes this hotel a great value for money bargain in downtown Dar es Salaam. Nice Bar serving great cocktails !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review and i look forward to seeing you at New Africa again.

You can email me your booking queries at Gm@newafricahotel.com

Kind Regards,
The Management Team
New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Newly refurbished in town, and very easily accessible. Service and decor is improved and we really enjoyed our stay. Thanks to the staff. Lovely restaurants in the vicinity - the revolving one Akemi being the standout one for us we went there many times for dinner. Dar has certainly changed since I last came 5 years ago.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us and that you found the location of the hotel ideal for business. We are the most central hotel in Dar and as such are close to most business houses within the city centre. With the traffic being quite challenging at most times, it does help if the hotel is conveniently located. Glad that you liked the overall look and feel of the refurbished public spaces.

On behalf of the team, look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel is like an escape, a beautiful boutique hotel located in probably the best part of the city. If you are here for business, nothing can beat its location.

The rooms have a breathtaking view of the ocean, the rooms are clean, neat and very functional. The Wifi is great. The hotel has a bar, restaurants, pool, health club, spa and basically
everything one would need from a hotel.

My favorite was the Thai restaurant, the perfect place to enjoy a drink and some delicious food on the highest floor with amazing views of the Dar harbor.
A must visit place for all.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the higher floor with an ocean view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

I am delighted to know that you had a great stay with us. Its very heartening to note that you found all that you wanted at the hotel. We are a competitive business hotel in the city centre and strive hard to ensure that our services are of good quality. Glad that we managed to deliver consistently during your stay. Thank you for the gracious compliments to the Thai kitchen team. I am sure that they shall be very pleased to hear the same.

Look forward to hosting your next visit to the city.

Dar Es Salaam
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I travel extensively in Eastern and Southern Africa for work and in a hotel look for cleanliness, reliable internet and the ability to get food within reasonable speed (less than 50 minutes) through room service. Unfortunately the New Africa failed on all three counts during my stay and this applied for my 3 colleagues as well. There are plenty of cleaner hotels with better service and good internet in Dar at similar or even lower price so we'll stay at one of those next time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Businesstraveller489
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay at the hotel.

We pride ourselves on our service levels and we seem to have slackened during your stay. I would like to know more about your comment regarding cleanliness. I would urge you to write to the hotel directly. It would really help us to know where things went wrong and for us to put corrective measures in place.

Apologies once again.