“OK for a stopover”

Ranked #18 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Barcelona, Spain
“OK for a stopover”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Not bad for an African hotel but nothing special for the price. A little noisey (we wanted to sleep early to get up for a 3 am flight and there was a wedding next door). Service by the pool was very slow but the pizza was surprisingly good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during your short stay at the hotel. There was a small wedding celebration at a nearby area next to the Church. It was beyond the control of the hotel. As such Dar does not have strict norms with regards to noise level control and sometimes these events are a bit disturbing. I would like to state that this is not a regular occurance around the hotel and that you were just unlucky that it happened when you were staying with us. That apart, thank you for liking the service levels and for appreciating the calm of the poolside...

Hope you don't let this stay mar your impression of the hotel. I do hope that you will return to the hotel sometime.

GM & Director.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed September 11, 2013

i went there so many times in business trips, stayed for more that 4 days a time, i didn't like the place much although they did some renovations lately, the place looks good, they have done a good work, it has an ocean view but partially blocked by an Anglican church, breakfast was average, it's an Indian origins hotel so most of the food is Indian, i didn't like it actually, Saturday night they had an open buffet (Indian night with Band), rooms was well equipped, clean and comfort, service is good, pool was satisfying, Gim too.

Room Tip: choose ocean view rooms at the corner of the building to avoid looking to the church and enjoy ocean...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

I am glad to note that you had a decent stay with us. Thank you for complimenting us on the renovation works at the hotel. We completed the works around early 2013 and as such have received a lot of positive comments.
Your comment on the breakfast has been noted. Most guests have liked the selection and have only had good things to say. It would be nice to know as to where we fell short. I would urge you to write to the hotel directly. Furthermore, you have stated in your review that we are an Indian brand. This is not correct. The hotel is a true Tanzanian brand and is owned by Tanzanian owners. We have been around for a while and are quite a known brand within the East African region. I have noted your comment regarding the Indian theme night dinner which is organized on Saturdays at the restaurant. It is an elaborate affair with a host of Indian dishes and usually caters to a large Asian diaspora thats residing in Dar es Salaam. We do have another restaurant on the rooftop serving the best Thai food in the city. That apart , the lounge bar also serves some excellent grills and short eats. Its unfortunate that we could not suggest this selection to you whilst you were at the all day diner.
I do hope that this experience does not mar your impression of the hotel. You do seem to have liked the hotel overall and I would hope that you return sometime soon.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,
E mail: gm@newafricahotel.com
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I used to stay in this hotel from the last 3 years. Must have stayed over half a dozen times. Now with the renovation it is even a greater place to stay. By centrally located for business purpose. The rooms are really spacious and has all the works. However the toilets are a bit small. Very nice view of the Dar port. Recommend to take the sea view at higher floors. May be 7 or higher.

The newly done up bar on the first floor is really nice. The grill is superb! Wifi is a bit slow but may need a cable in some rooms.at $150/-iris great value for money

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

On behalf of the team I would like to thank you for your loyal patronage of the hotel. The team would be very pleased to hear your positive comments on the hotel and the service. I am glad that you like the renovated avatar of the hotel. Your positive comments on the Onyx lounge bar are well received. It is quite a place for an evening sundowner. Sorry about the fact that you found the bathrooms a bit small. We had limitations related to structure when we commenced renovations. We could not physically alter the space in the room. We shall address this in the new wing that we are adding above the casino.

Looking forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I always enjoy staying at New Africa. It has almost become my home away from home.
I visit Dar quite often through work and always ask my company to book me here. The staff is so welcoming, remembers my name and my preferences.

The ocean view from the room is beautiful, such a welcome change after the crazy traffic on the streets. The ocean makes one feel so relaxed. The bar is a great place to meet with friends and the African band plays lovely tunes all evening. If you are Asian you must try the biryani at the downstairs restaurant. Their pastas & Thai food is great as well.

Room Tip: Don't forget to spend a few hours relaxing by the poolside.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

Glad that the hotel exceeded your expectation once more. Our team prides itself on customized guest service and I am glad that they ensured that you were taken care of again. Your compliments on the food at the Thai restaurant and the Biryani at the Bandari Grill are well received. I shall share the same with the kitchen team and am sure that they will be very pleased with the feedback. Nice to hear that the friday band at the Onyx lounge was enjoyable. Our lounge is a very relaxing place to unwind and have a drink post a hectic day in the city traffic....

Look forward to your next visit at the hotel. See you soon.

Shanker Narayanan
delhi
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The New Africa is bang in the centre of town. Very convenient for visitors like me who had business in town. Plus you get great views of the ocean from your room. The staff are friendly and the service is great. The thai restaurant is great for authentic food and more great views. The rooms are clean and decent. Aircon was excellent and very quiet. I slept well...I also got a non smoking floor. Do insist as Africa has very liberal norms with smoking...so ask for a non smoking section.

I will be back if business works out in Dar...

Room Tip: Stay here if you have business in town!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for posting such a lovely review of your stay with us.

Glad that you liked the hotel so much and in particular the location. This is definitely one of our key features. Thank you for your kind words regarding the Thai restaurant. The chef will be very pleased with your feedback. I completely second your comment on smoking. Its ideal if guests were to mention their smoking preference prior to booking.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Delhi
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed at the hotel during a recent conference tour. The location was ideal. The 3 day stay was very comfortable and I was quite pleased with the hotel and the meeting hall. There was a lovely foyer that opened out to an airy courtyard next to the pool side. Relaxing. Surprisingly the weather was lovely. My colleagues told me that it was winter and it was quite a laugh at 27 degrees centigrade.
The hotel has a great Thai restaurant with authentic food and incredble views of the harbor. The service was great and team members were very friendly. Our extra conferencing material was stored very conveniently by the hotel bell desk.thank you guys!..All in all a great choice for business travelers due to a great location and good service.. Highly recommend...

Room Tip: Take an ocean facing room....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review and i look forward to seeing you at New Africa again.

You can email me your booking queries at Gm@newafricahotel.com

Kind Regards,
Siddharth Chaudhry
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here with a party of 6. We booked 3 double rooms, stayed for 2 nights. The hotel exterior and reception are great. We had a member of their staff called Tito pick us up from the airport - very friendly guy.

Rooms are slightly outdated. But comfortable and clean. We had the best of both worlds and for the first night we had a view of the pool and our second stay had a great view of the main church and port.

Ate at the restaurant within the hotel. Food was really nice we were careful about what we ate. Bar is a nice place to relax before heading back to the room. Breakfast was perfect, lots of choice of fruit, full English and traditional Africa food.

Security is a high importance with access cards needed to enter the different floors as well as rooms. Swimming pool and outside area is great for relaxing, we had the pool to ourselves for both days. Can't fault the service - it is great.

Hotel is close to port so you can walk to get to the boats that take you to Zanzibar. Would recommend getting a taxi if you are taking your luggage as you will be harassed by the locals who try to sell you everything, try to carry your luggage for a tip or asking if you want a taxi.

Only con - we were woken at 4-5am in the morning by some people shouting in the corridor. Also woken at 6am by the Church singing hymns. Was beautiful however, but not if you tired.

Room Tip: Try and get rooms on the higher floors such as 7th or 6th. The rooms are bigger, cleaner and less ou...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for posting a review of your stay at the hotel.

I am glad that your friends and you had a good time at the hotel. You seemed to have enjoyed the food and beverages at the hotel. I am glad that you folks liked the lounge bar. Its quite the place for a sun downer. I shall let the team know your feedback and am sure that they will be mighty thrilled with the same. Nice to note that you enjoyed the swimming pool and the courtyard area. Its a great place to lounge and relax.

I hope you stay with us on your next visit to the hotel.

On behalf of the New Africa team,