“Excellent Service”
Review of New Africa Hotel

New Africa Hotel
Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Although they are currently doing some construction and the noise is a bit bothersome at times (especially for those who work from their hotel room), the hotel is definitely making an effort to compensate for it. The service is excellent and the staff is very very friendly, from the reception to the housekeeping. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: housekeeping procedure is to turn your temperature to 15 Centigrade so that you can cool off when yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank florina04
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and the services.

Its very pleasing to note that the hotel and the team members have overall exceeded your expectations. We are renovating and are trying to do this in the most unobtrusive manner. However retro-upgrades are always very difficult and at times there is a bit of inconvenience. We shall be good as new within the next few months. I am glad that the team members took good care of you. They are our strength and our biggest asset. Thank you for the vote of confidence.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,
Shanker Narayan,
GM & Director.

Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel is currently under-going a lot of refurbishment, so if you are booking a room in the first half of 2012, then I suggest that before you book that you check with the hotel what facilities will be open (depending on whether those facilities are important to you). While a notice is left in your room apologising for the inconvenience of the refurbishment work, it states that the work will only take place between 9am and 6pm, but when I stayed the work definitely strayed beyond those times.

The rooms were a reasonable size, and functional. The decor was a little of date, but not off putting.

The windows were single glazed, and let in sound. Therefore I would recommed requesting a room facing the pool rather than the street / harbour. My colleagues facing the harbour were woken at 6am each morning by the singing of the gospel choir from the nearby church! It must be said that the views over the harbour are good, especially from the higher floors.

Over the weekend that I was there, the pool area was un-accessible to use the lounge chairs, as the area was being set up for a large dinner party. This didn't particularly bother me, as I didn't intend to use the pool, but rather negates the point of having a pool. The dinner parties both went onto 11pm, which didn't affect me, but could bother guests who like to retire early.

There is a small gym, with a basic range of equipment. There is no air con, and an underlying smell! Not the best gym for a rigorous workout, but fine for a quick burst of action.

The service in the bar was slow and erratic. The bar is currently located on the 9th floor during the refurbishment and does provide good views over the city.

Late at night there are a number of single women prowling the bar, who appeared to have been willing to exchange certain favours for cash. This was very low key, but might feel odd if you have chosen this hotel for a romantic break with your own partner!

There is wifi ($4 for an hour), which I found was intermittent in quality.

The breakfast bar was reasonably stocked, and egg dishes would be cooked fresh to order at the buffet. A piano player in the breakfast bar was a nice touch.

I would suggest that this hotel is good for business trips, rather than romantic breaks. It is probably also a reasonable base to use as a tourist for a few days (it is central, and close to the ferry port to take trips to Zanzibar).

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view (it is cheaper), and just enjoy the view from the 9th floor bar / restaurant...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank callumx
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

Thank you for complimenting the hotel overall. Thank you for the detailed feedback of your experience. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience on account of the refurbishment works. During such upgrades there is a bit of demolition works that need to be carried out in the preliminary stages. It was unfoirtunately done during most of your stay. We are beyond this stage at present and are busy doing the fit outs. The lobby, the bar and the meeting rooms are being refurbished. We have currently renovated most of our rooms barring one floor. You had stayed on this very floor. We should be done with the same in a months time. Our new rooms are state of the art and very comfortable. Maybe we could assign the same for you in case you return to Dar in the future.

We will be a very contemporary hotel once the renovations are completed. Hopefully you would give us a second chance soon.

GM & Director.

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've stayed here twice. The first trip was over a weekend and was nice enough...adequate food and room service, very clean rooms and nice staff. They did hound me quite a bit at an extremely inconvenient time to fill out a customer survey and that was frustrating. However, I was faced towards the ocean and got a 5 AM wake up call when the church next door had an raucous church service - I had to get up anyway so it was not a problem, but I can imagine some wouldn't appreciate it (even though it is lovely singing). My second trip was awful however - I was there for 2 weeks and was closer to the casino. On a Thursday evening they had some kind of party with music where you could feel the bass through the walls and floor. I had a very serious training to deliver and complained to reception, who said they could not stop the noise and that it would end at 11. It ended at 1 AM. My training was at 7 AM the next day. I will never stay here again, for business or otherwise, for that reason.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel.

It quite unfortunate that you were disturbed on account of the choir at the church as well as the party at the casino. I see that this has spoilt an otherwise decent stay. I must assure you that we have been addressing the issues with the Church with regards to the choirs. Its largely okay but at times some enthusiastic member places a speaker outside the choir room. This causes the noise to reverberate and disturb the hotel. Whilst the church is a great feature across the hotel, it at times can be an issue. We have managed to speak to the right authorities and managed some traction here. There have not been many cases wherein the same has disturbed guests. The casino party was a one-off and I am very sorry for having disturbed you. Its unfortunate that the team members could not gauge the importance of your request keeping in mind that you had an early morning presentation. I guess feedback such as yours is a learning for the team.

Hope that you dont let these issues mar your overall impression of the hotel. I sincerely hope that you could give us another chance to host your stay with us when you are back in Dar.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks during the Christmas Holidays in 2011. It was convenient. The view of the harbour was great and so was the hotel. The staff were very courteous. The breakfast buffet was also great. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank G D

Dear Tripadvisro member,

Thank you for posting a lovely review of your stay with us.

I am glad that your family and you enjoyed the hotel and the facilities. Thank you for appreciating the service of the team members. I shall convey your compliements to them. Looking forward to hosting your next visit to Dar.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I have been staying at the New Africa Hotel since 2007. This visit was by far the most disappointinf. The air conditionong was not working in two roms....I had to be changed twice to get a quiet and then an air conditioned room. I had to comment in the dining room at breakfast that it was very warm.
The people who work at New Africa are the best and make me feel at home but the owners need to pay attention to the condition of the hotel. Some floors had nice fresh carpeting and other floors were in poor condition. The furniture in some of the so called rooms looked like it had come from a second hand store with mismatched pieces.
I was well treated and let that be known. The view over the harbour is excellent and an added bonus is the beautiful singing from the church and the occasional wedding. The only hotel in Dar with this view should be capitalizing on it and make this a showcase hotel. The chef
remembered me and cooked up an amazing omlette for me. The people in Guest Relations know their business well and went full out to ensure I was well taken care of. I want to continue coming to New Africa Hotel so please fix the a/c., pay attention to the guest room furniture, and buy new table linens especially for rom service trays. Keep your staff as they are the bonus, such delightful people and not to forget the lovely man who plays piano at breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the lower floors if there is alive band in the building.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank bmuncaster

Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel.

At the outset I would like to apologize for having let you down during your stay at the hotel. We respect your patronage of the hotel and feel really bad that we could not take better care of you. I understand that the guest relations did upgrade you to our renovated rooms after your initial displeasure. We have since then completed 100 rooms in all. We still have 30 rooms left as of now, but will ensure that we provide you the renovated room with a view of the harbour. Thank you for the kind words on the team members. We really try our best to ensure that our team are trained and try and put their best foot forward at most times. Its nice to see re-affirmation of the same by means of comments such as yours. Whilst most aspects of your issues will be taken care of with the new rooms, the AC is not a concern. Sometimes with high humidity levels in Dar, there is a lot of condensation. Whilst there are drains for the same, sometimes the condensation is a bit too rapid as opposed to the draining. We try and check the lines at all times but these things might re-occur. Apologies for the same. We have also addressed the tray mats for room service. I am sure you would notice the changes if you were to return. I hope you dont let this stay mar your overall impression of the hotel. Hope you give us another chance.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night. The hotel is in a resonable location - near the waterfront.

There was confusion on checkin - I booked two rooms under the same name and I would say it to 20 minutes for them to sort it out. Then they put us in rooms that were not so nice - not modern in the bathroom at all, overlooking the pool. Then the called and said - oh we see you booked a harbor view. We moved - those rooms were MUCH nice - modern bathroom fixtures etc. Great view of the church below and harbor. After the initial confusion staff were VERY helpful

They seem to be in the process of remodeling - so if I went there I'd try for the remodeled rooms.

Overall - not as classy, efficient, or friendly as the Southern Sun - but better central location and acceptable.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank seestrom
Siddharth C, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review and i look forward to seeing you at New Africa again.

You can email me your booking queries at Gm@newafricahotel.com

Kind Regards,
Siddharth Chaudhry

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Nice hotel, good location. Restaurants at the hotel is ok but its better to eat out. Wifi doesn´t work at the room. The staff was very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AgnesFurst

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review and i look forward to seeing you at New Africa again.

You can email me your booking queries at Gm@newafricahotel.com