“best location, best pool, best service”
Review of Sea Cliff Hotel

Sea Cliff Hotel
Ranked #5 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Vashon, Washington
“best location, best pool, best service”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I returned to the SeaCliff again for the lovely setting, the proximity to shops and restaurants and the friendly and helpful staff. If your business centers around Msasani peninsula, few traffic worries-except of the airport drive. I always felt safe as a Western woman alone. I used and appreciated the business center and the delicious and underused Alcove Restaurant-quieter than the lively (read loud) Karambezi. The pool is the best! Now if only they could replace the aging AC system..

Room Tip: ocean side!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SeacliffMarketing, Sales Executive at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Kigali,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. The safety of our guests is a priority and it gives me great pleasure to read that you felt comfortable during your stay with us. The peninsula is a beautiful location and our hotel predominately caters for a quite & peaceful atmosphere, at the same time offering a variety of shops & restaurants nearby which guests can enjoy. I apologize about the AC system and will make sure to pass the feedback to our Maintenance team.

We hope to welcome you again this year!

Chandni Vithlani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Based on recommendations from others, I had had booked two nights at Sea Cliff. When I arrived, they insisted there was no booking in the system, even though mine was paid up front, and confirmed. As they were fully booked, they couldn't give me a room. After checking in at the Serena, where I usually stay in when I'm in Dar, and where the service in excellent, I called Expedia and asked for a full refund for the stay at Sea Cliff. They contacted the hotel, and got the response that as per hotel policies, Sea Cliff could only refund the second night, as it was already late in the evening of the first day! In other words, guests who have paid upfront, get turned away because their bookings have "disappeared", yet can't get a refund as per hotel policies. Outright theft!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Håvar B
SeacliffMarketing, Sales Executive at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Bauck,

Whilst it is very disappointing to learn of your bad experience, it is important to note the following; As of the 28th of November, the hotel had been fully booked for your request of dates which were the 5th & 6th of December. We find it difficult to understand how Expedia processed your reservation request. This being said, the matter will be taken up with them directly. Please understand that Hotel Sea Cliff had no reservation confirmation from Expedia nor was any payment processed to Hotel Sea Cliff from Expedia for your reservation.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience suffered and will offer you our full assistance in taking up this matter with expedia, to ensure your full refund.

sao paolo
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Great restaurant, nice location by the sea, pleasant staff, clean... nothing to complain about - apart from the drive into the centre of town. There is a helicopter on site but that seemed a bit excessive to use as a taxi. I think you can use it to get to the airport if you're feeling a bit James Bond.

Room Tip: Insist on a sea view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rexlombardo,

Thank you for the pleasant review. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. The helicopter is a great facility we have on site for guests who would like to explore the city. Most of our guests also love the convenience of planning a trip to Zanzibar Island and safaris right from the Hotel!

We hope you enjoyed Dar es Salaam and return to stay with us in the future.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 24, 2013

A great choice for a Westerner when staying in the city. Rooms are good and there is good security. You will be aggressively peddled to on the beach, but such is Africa. Decent food and attentive staff will help with anything you need.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SeacliffMarketing, Sales Executive at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Skullmann,

Thank you very much for posting a review on here; it makes a great difference to our staff to hear such appreciation.

We hope you choose stay with us again!

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I can certainly recommend.The Masai warrior doormen are a nice touch.The aircon - vital in Dar - is efficient. Great setting with a quiet pool. There is a fairly upmarket Indian restaurant, which serves quality Indian classics. We also had a noisy function on one day ( from 2pm I think) but it stopped by midnight and wasn't too much of a problem. Very comfortable beds. I liked the place and would certainly stay there again. Dar itself is a bit too hot for my liking.

Room Tip: We were furthest from the main entrance , i.e. nearest to the peninsula, which is probably the bette...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Anthony D
SeacliffMarketing, Sales Executive at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Anthony D,

Thank you for the review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. I apologize for the noise as we had a Concert that night; however I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I picked the hotel based on the recommendations I read and was not disappointed. I checked in very quickly, the room was very nice with a view on the road but unfortunately there was a function ongoing next to the hotel an close to where my room was situated with very loud music and having been travelling for 24 hours I requested to be moved elsewhere. The Duty Manager was at my door 10 minutes later to help me out and I was given a fantastically located bigger room with view on the Indian ocean.
The conference arrangements were very good though our technician disappeared on day 2 and we had to manage with the projector, microphones etc.. ourselves.
Food was very good at the Alcove Restaurant and the personnel is quite friendly.
The Karambezi Cafe is a great place to unwind after a day's work.
Room service proved to be an ordeal at times because some of the staff did not seem to speak english very well. Otherwise, service was good.
There is a supermarket next door and a sea food restaurant & Spur where you can eat and charge your room.
Check out was a breeze.
The two issues I faced was on arrival at airport where I had to wait more than half an hour before finding the driver and also the lack of communication among personnel where I had to explain the same payment arrangements for my group to 5 different people.
Other than that, I would gladly recommend this hotel.

Dear littlemermaid63,

Thank you for a comprehensive and wonderful review of the hotel. Firstly, I want to apologize for the noise you experienced on the first day of your arrival because of the Concert that took place that night. I am glad that the problem was solved quickly and the duty manager was able to move you in a better room.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed the relaxing ambiance of the hotel and a wide variety of Cuisine we have to offer on the Main property as well as the Village. The convenience of our guests is a priority and I am delighted to read that you found our services to be useful.

We hope to welcome you again!

Hartbeespoort, North-West, South Africa
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I traveled to Dar Es Salaam on business and booked into the Sea Cliff Hotel. A fantastic setting right on the edge of the Indian Ocean. The hotel accommodation is comfortable and spacious - perfect for a business traveler. The Staff are attentive and provide an excellent service. I would highly recommenced this Hotel for the business traveler

Room Tip: For the Business Traveler the delux room in the Sea Cliff Village is more than enough. Wifi is relia...
Dear Rowan B,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at Sea Cliff. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel to be comfortably suited for business travellers. I am also glad to note that you experienced excellent service from the Staff; your feedback will surely be passed on to the team.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future!

Best Regards,