“Great Location and a Really Nice Hotel”
Review of Sea Cliff Hotel

Sea Cliff Hotel
Ranked #4 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Fremont, California
“Great Location and a Really Nice Hotel”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here for work in May 2012 and really enjoyed it. The staff was really friendly and the rooms were really nice. Unfortunately the weather was never nice enough to try out the hotel but the onsite restaurants were nice and the casino was a fun way to waste some time. The views out the windows and from the restaurants were great. I had to travel inland for a few days and the hotel was kind enough to hotel my luggage while i was gone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Marchal,

Greetings from Sea Cliff Hotel,

I am taking this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a positive feedback about your stay here. We are happy to hear that you had a fabulous stay in our elegantly furnished rooms tastefully done with the modern Swahili design and a wonderful view.In regard to our restaurants, our popular restaurants - the Karambezi and Alcove, have an exceptional reputation for serving consistently high quality food.

Last but not least, i hope to meet with you during your next stay and furnish the top 10 things to do in Dar es Salaam. The Sea Cliff team looks forward to your next stay.

Yours sincerely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just arrived today. I was staying at the Doubletree hotel but they only had a room for one week for me so I had to book Sea Cliff for another week. When I entered the staff at the front desk was not friendly at all. They told me I had to pay for the accommodation right away which I thought a little strange because all of the hotels I have been in you pay when you check out even though they take your credit card at first. Anyway they tried to charge me for airport pick up assuming that I used their hotel car. The door man had to tell them I have arrived by taxi which I paid for. I got to my room and the room smells like someone has been smoking. It is on the second floor very small and the view is terrible. The toilet seat has a problem. It is crooked. I could not find the shower cap even though there is a box which indicates that a shower cap is inside. Luckily I brought extra one so I was ok. I needed to make coffee in the room and the electric water pot does not work. I have called the front desk to send me another one but she said they will send someone to take a look at it. I guess they did not believe me when I said it does not work. It has been half an hour and I am still waiting for the pot. It is a bad start and I am not looking forward to staying here for a week and I hope it gets better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sam A
Dear Sam,

Greetings from Sea Cliff Hotel,

It seems the response i sent earlier was not posted.We also apologize for the inconvenience that occurred during the check in process. Our Front Office Manager, managed to talk to you and all was resolved before check out. I believe in second chances, i hope that during your next visit to Dar es Salaam, you will choose our hotel as your point of destination and since i am always in close contact with the guests at the Front of the house, i hope to meet with you in person during that time.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Breakfast is fantastic looking out to the Indian Ocean, Rooms very good, places in an area, where it's possible, not only to buy the normal stuff, but nearby a supermarked, having all you need.
All over the place is nice and clean, good resturant, good club, ok prices.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view, do you stay in the Village, Get a room on the 1 floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Greetings from Sea Cliff Hotel,

What a great review. Asante sana (thank you). We have informed our team of the same and they are sending their regards. It is true, we are situated in the serene surburbs of Msasani & Masaki home to many embassies and international organizations. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and visited our shops and restaurants. We also have a Casino, gift shops, Hair Salon catering for both male and female amongst a few.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, we are all looking forward to your next visit.

Your sincerely
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I have not stayed at this hotel for a number of years and was looking forward to staying here but now wish I stayed else were for the money

I am in room 112 which is situated right over the entrance which means I get to hear every taxi boot or car door open and close along with the drives and passengers discussions.

Raising my concerns at the front desk to the three desk attendants I was unsure they really understood or cared and after checking the system the lead person said there are no other rooms but when I said will I check out early she found a room which was located right down the back of the hotel in what appears to be an after throught area with hardly any natural light so not quite the sea view experience I was looking for and expecting to pay for and most certainly not the peaceful sleep I was hoping to have.

Lastly the Internet was pretty bad at this place years ago and does not seem to have improved.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Rudd2
Greetings from Sea Cliff Hotel,

It is on a sad note that i read your review. Due to huge flow of visitors to Tanzania during the last weeks of June, it has been difficult to provide the Sea view rooms on request , however, this should not be our excuse, we apologize in advance for all the inconveniences that took place during the check in process and thereafter.

We communicated with the designated department regarding the same and i believe the situation was resolved on the very same day that you reported it to our Guest Relations Manager & I sincerely hope that you enjoyed the Sea View room that she finally managed to allocate to you.

Last but not least, since i am always in close contact with the guests at the Front of the house, please do not hesitate to contact me during your next stay.

Yours Sincerely,
Dubai
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Just back from a short but splendid stay at the Sea Cliff, Dar es Salaam. I was fortunate to get a sea view room and watching the sun rise from the comforts of my bed was breathtaking. The staff were super friendly and spot on. Would definetely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Dar.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Greetings from Sea Cliff. we are all happy to hear that you had a splendid time during your stay at our hotel. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about our hotel; your feed back is very important to us because it helps us improve the high quality service required by you our guest. This is the reason why we still welcome back guests who have stayed with us since 1999.

I agree with you, our rooms are magnificient , I believe that the hotel provides the perfect setting to let your stresses and strains melt away. After a hard day at work this is all you require. We offer complimentary WiFi, 24 hour gym access and other benefits all included in your rate.

Karibu sana (welcome back), i have passed on your compliments to our team. Asante sana (Thank you).

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and again this time at the end of our safari.
It still is a smart charming place with a wonderful Indian restaurant as well as a great oyster bay ocean view restaurant including during breakfast .
Rooms are nice and the hotel was kind enough to offer us complementary van to go to nearby oyster bay for 10 of us for 2 hours.
Free Internet was very useful
Overall a great stay

• Stayed June 2013
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Greetings from Sea Cliff,

This is such a wonderful review, asante sana (thank you). I agree with you , we are a charming place and as a privately owned and independently run hotel, we pride ourselves in offering an extra level of personal service to our guests. Indeed all our guests are our Kings and Queens.
The family run Alcove Restaurant has an exceptional reputation for serving authentic and consistently high quality Indian and Chinese Cuisine. Your positive feedback has been passed on to the Alcove Team.
We are all looking forward to your next trip to Dar es Salaam and thank you for choosing our hotel.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Sea Cliff 3 times this year. The day staff during check-in is always friendly, happy to welcome me back and quick to make me feel welcome after 20+ hour flights. I love the Indian Ocean views and warm breezes at Sea Cliff, such a welcome break from the congestion and crowds at all the hotels in downtown Dar. My favorite part of my day at the Sea Cliff is a swim in the pool in the morning, looking out at the ocean, followed by the world class breakfast buffet. I take a swim every morning, then enjoy the fresh coconut milk, omelet bar, and fresh mangoes and pineapple for breakfast. I have needed to use the business center at Sea Cliff and always found them to be prompt, efficient, and courteous. At the end of a work day, the ocean bar at Sea Cliff is the best place in town for a cocktail. If I need to spend a few days in Dar, Sea Cliff is my favorite way to enjoy Tanzanian hospitality while getting outside of Dar's congestion and urban blight. If anything can be improved, the night staff is less friendly and can improve their service compared to the day crew. The main restaurant is a bit pricey, but overall a great experience at Sea Cliff.

Room Tip: Ocean views and great breakfast buffet!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Greetings from Sea Cliff, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have passed your positive feedback to the day team . Our night team has promised to be on point moving forward. Our team lives by the motto "we are only as good as guests say we are" and for this reason, we are never complacent, we are always striving to go beyond expectations.

In regards to Karambezi Cafe', it is true, it is the best place in town for a cocktail and not only that, Karambezi Cafe' serves a wide selection of fresh sea food and international dishes in a stunning alfresco setting with sweeping views of the ocean.

Last but not least, I hope that during your next stay in our hotel, i shall be able to meet with you and give you more information about the Top 10 things to see and do in Dar es Salaam. Thank you again posting your review.