All reviewsindian oceanoverlooking the oceanindian restaurantlovely hotelmsasani peninsulaseafoodcomfortable roomsbusiness tripnice poolhome away from homecity centrenanaalcovedargymtanzaniasupermarket
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I travel to Dar es Salaam often on business and for the past 8 years I have always ended my trip with a long weekend at the Hotel Sea Cliff. However, after this visit, I am searching for a new place to recoup my thoughts before heading home.

I was at the Hotel Sea Cliff for almost 2 weeks. I was assigned to the Village rooms. These are very small and cramped. And at a pretty steep price. But they kept tell me there was no room. Knowing Africa, and the easy of being in a place I knew and understood I stayed.

The room was just okay. The bed was warn, and the bathroom was small. The first week, we had no hot water in the Shower. But it was clean.

Checked out to go to Zanzibar for the weekend, and left my luggage with the hotel for safe keeping. We got stuck in Zanzibar for an extra day. So Hotel Sea Cliff gave my paid for room away. And then told me tough.

Well fortunately I am not a dumb tourist on holiday. So I contacted at a few friends and suddenly a room was found for us. Interesting, Nana kept telling us the hotel was full. But I guess not.

Nana and other middle management were rude and arrogant to me my trip and she was totally surprised when she saw me at the hotel the next morning. As my friends went to owner and General Manager. The middle management staff made me feel like a criminal. When I was checking out, leaving for Zanzibar, I had already settled my bill and closed my account. But a friend was stopped, and I mean blocked from leaving the hotel because Nana said I owned 49,0000 TSH, and I came back in just as my friend was about to pay, and said what is up. And she snapped at me saying I was trying to skip my bill. And I asked her what she was talking about. She said my room 418 had a balance of 49,0000 TSH, and I looked at her and said my room was 408. What an idiot and what a terrible way to treat a guest, a paying quest.

Then the gave our room away. But you know that is not the worse. Every time I left the room in the Evening and went to the hotel I was propositioned by very agressive prostitutes. And I mean they are walking the hotel and the village and security or management does nothing. It really turned me off.

But I have to say the the normal staff are so nice and so helpful. Grace in the Karabazi Cafe is tops, and all the bell persons, and cleaning staff. It is just that middle management.

But I have to say, I will really think twice before return to the Hotel Sea Cliff, what a change in a year. So be careful.

I struggled with this review of giving two or three stars. Management deserve one, and staff deserve 4, and village rooms are some place between 2 and 3. So I averaged it out, to three. But be cautious in the future. I know I will.

Room Tip: Just be cautious, check out the Hyatt, Double Tree and a few other hotels before booking.
1  Thank Nusiax
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Director of Sales at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

We are happy to accept fault where it is due but simply do not feel that this review is fair and have conveyed the same to Trip Advisor.

The Village Rooms are indeed smaller than the main hotel and the price point reflects this. There should of course be hot water and Maintenance would have actioned this immediately had you reported it during your stay. As with all accommodation providers, sometimes maintenance issues occur and we do our very best to resolve them as soon as they come to our attention.

You have complained about us giving your room away. In fact, you were a No Show. So, when you turned up the next day without notification, we naturally did not have a room booked since you were due the day before. We were also fully booked. However, our Director of Operations then spent a long time juggling our room allocation to find a way to fit you in, which eventually she did. Your portrayal is not accurate or fair.

With regards your comments on Nana. She is not an idiot and is in fact an excellent Guest Relations Manager who has a fantastic relationship with our guests. Room 408 sounds like Room 418 especially when English is not your first language so it is not difficult to understand why she may have misunderstood. The last thing Nana would have wanted to do is offend you.

I hope our version of events sheds some more positive light on your experience and also to those people reading your review.

Reviewed April 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in March and were put up in the Village rooms, which are not in the main building but in fact a hidden corner of the Village Walk shopping / entertainment centre next to the Sea Cliff Hotel. The area contains some 16 rooms and is a "hidden" square which resembles an American motel and is only accessible to guests with a card key. There is a huge tree in the middle of the square that houses thousands of small finches that cause quite a bit of noise every day around 7 pm and 5:30 am. The rooms are rather dark and cramped; bathrooms are very outdated and a bit dingy with limited water pressure and water temperatures that are at times difficult to control. Although we literally were only there in the evenings, we did not say much. However, what irked us was how the Village Walk is full of prostitutes, who can be quite aggressive. Needless to say this was a huge turn-off and something we always dreaded when we returned to the hotel in the evenings or went out late at night. This is one of the factors that is stopping us from returning here in the future.
The main hotel building, however, was very nice. The Karambezi Café has some lovely views of the sea and is where breakfast is served in the morning. Good selection in the mornings and Grace, the manager, was always lovely and had the biggest smile you could imagine. Her staff were also fantastic and very accommodating. This was the case with the majority of the staff at the hotel - the doormen and bell captains always asked how we were and helped us get last minute tickets to the ferry to Zanzibar and asked when we returned how it went. Due to a mess up with our reservation we spent one night in a sea-view room, which was fantastic. Very spacious, modern and full of amenities you didn't find in the Village rooms.
Our main gripe was middle management. Very arrogant, condescending (especially the lady at guest relations) and they made the fatal mistake of thinking we were ignorant tourists in Tanzania for the first time (we were also accused of not paying our bill when my partner had just done so...only to be told "oh, sorry, wrong room"). These aspects, together with the issue of the prostitution in the Village area, are what have made us decide to not return to this hotel again, which we had always in the past considered to be one of the better hotels in Dar es Salaam.

1  Thank dp_visser
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Director of Sales at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

We take all your comments onboard and appreciate your constructive feedback. There are 21 Village Rooms located in Sea Cliff Village shopping centre around as small courtyard as you mention. These are smaller than the main hotel rooms. We have not received any reports on water pressure or temperature coming from guests in these rooms so our Maintenance Team is over checking now to rectify any issues.

Your comments on prostitutes has concerned us greatly as we were not aware of this. You mention Village Walk which is in fact the shopping centre across the road and not under our management. We will however take the precaution of looking through security camera footage in Sea Cliff Village shopping centre and act immediately should there be an issue here. Regardless of where this occured, we are very sorry to hear about your experience.

Thank you for the kind comments to the team, especially the Karambezi Cafe team and Grace. We will pass these on. As for the less positive remarks on Middle Management, it would be great to get some more specific feedback from you so we can act accordingly. We would be very grateful if you could email this to information@hotelseacliff.com marked for the attention of "Michelle". We will do everything we can to win back your support and welcome you once again to Sea Cliff Hotel.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

The rooms and interior design are superb. But something was a bit off. The first night i stayed there, i was pretty exhausted, and had these two persons knocking on my door at past 9 pm asking whether i would like my room sprayed with insect side. i asked if there were mosquitoes, they said no. any other insects that warrant this late infringement on my privacy? no. so why knock on my door? why not spray earlier in the day while you clean the room (note that these couple of people didnt even have name tags or anything to identify themselves as hotel staff). moreover, there were mosquito repellent wipes in the room.
The following day, i had to request the front desk at 3pm to get my room cleaned because it wasn't cleaned by then.
The front desk staff were friendly but a bit unprofessional, asking personal questions and informing me that they have visited Rwanda before and trying to make small talk about those places etc. oh, and the cleaners kept making noise in the corridors! atleast 3 times in my 4 day stay did i have to ask them to keep it down!
so the hotel is good, but little strange things such as having unidentified staff knocking on my door for no reason were a bit unsettling. there's definitely room for improvement.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the view of the sea if available. a collegue got one by just asking. i had a building infront of me. didnt feel like i was by the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Director of Sales at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. We normally spray the rooms as a matter of precaution from 3.30pm to 8.30pm. The day in question, we had a city-wide water shortage so our housekeeping team were stretched trying to deal with this issue and, as a result, arrived late to the rooms. All staff wear a uniform so they are easily identifiable as belonging to the hotel team. They should however also be wearing name badges and we are awaiting the arrival of badges imminently for new members of staff so this situation does not occur again.

Rooms are not attended to in the morning only if there is a Privacy Please sign on the door or if the housekeeping team has been asked not to clean by the guests. With regards to the noise in the corridor, your feedback has been noted and escalated to the Head of Housekeeping to address with her team and monitor. We apologize for the disturbance.

Finally, our Front Office Team are very friendly and take an interest in getting to know our guests so they can deliver a more personal service. If this came across as unprofessional, it was certainly not their intention. We very much hope you will come back to stay with us again and enjoy the view from one of our ocean-facing rooms.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

The hotel is good, rooms are really good and modern and clean. Front desk is fine but can be better, takes a long time to do anything. Do not stay in the village, the executive rooms are really great and the view from the room spectacular. I recommed this hotel for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are the best provided you are on the 2 floor and higher
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Sea-Cliff-Hotel, Director of Sales at Sea Cliff Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Many thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay in the Executive Room. All the Executive Rooms have beautiful ocean views and are based on the Executive Floor (third floor). The Village Rooms are located around a courtyard within Sea Cliff Village shopping centre so are set a few minutes away from the main hotel. They do not have a sea view but do have access to all the main hotel's facilities and are at a lower price point to rooms in the main hotel. I've noted your comments on the speed of Front Desk service and will follow this up immediately. We hope you will see a big improvement when you next visit!

Reviewed March 18, 2012

The staff are incredibly kind and warmly welcome you in Swahili to every meal, opening every door, etc. the breakfast buffet is delicious (fresh juices, fruits, yoghurt, croissants, granola,etc), the outdoor dining by the water is lovely... i agree with all the reviews re. nearby shopping, good places to eat, etc. The business center was also very helpful, although on both occassions they were not open at 7:30 exactly, but it all worked out. I never had to wait to get documents printed or copied. The internet connection was horrible. It worked a few times, but was usually painfully slow.
Indeed, the ocean is right there, but you can't access it from the hotel and I was advised not to swim there anyway due to sewer outflow. Just the same, I really enjoyed watching the fisherman go by each day and relaxing by the pool.
I was there for business, so basically left each morning by 8:30 and returned each evening.
If I really wanted a more authentic taste of Dar, I'd probably stay closer to the city center. But this was a nice respite, safe and fun.
Oh, i couldn't open my windows, and wished I'd had fresh air in my room, but then again, it was incredibly hot and humid outside...
Wake up calls were reliable each morning.

Room Tip: by the water is good, of course, however, i had two twin beds by the water, instead of a queen.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for the thoughtful review and for acknowledging our team's hospitality and warm welcome. We're very proud of the breakfast buffet and all our pastries and bread is now baked freshly in house by the Karamebezi Cafe.

I'm sorry you had to wait for the business centre to open, normally they are very prompt so we will check to see what happened. We have just installed boosters for the internet having received feedback from several guests on connectivity. Hopefully you can attest to the improved speed when you come back to stay!

For anyone reading your room tip, we have 8 twin deluxe, 4 single deluxe and 60 deluxe (with a King size bed) so just let us know which you would like upon booking.