“Family Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 103 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Family Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Located in a very good area. Close to embassies. Nice cousy appartment for family trip. But a little expensive for solo. I spend 3 nights there and I was a peace. No cleaners disturbance. The service I got from the staff was good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear FrancisHerve

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience. I am really happy to hear that you had a great time and the STAFF ensured that you are comfortable. We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Znz
gm@proteadar.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Really great hotel with amazing food and really nice place for sheesha. The manager Danish is extremely nice and hospitable and will make sure your stay is enjoyable. Rooms are spacious and clean and hotel amenities include a swimming pool

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Khalid_Ismail_Zarooni
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Khalid_Ismail_Zarooni

Good day, thank you for kind and generous review. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Znz
Beveren, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayd at this hotel for 3 nights in January 2014
The Pick up at the airpoprt was arranged by the hotel and was withouth any problems ( 30 USD is a bit expensive, especially as you know that the driver only has a salary of approx USD 100 a month)
The check in went smoothly and the room (huge minisuite) was a pleasant surprise.
Good working and quit airco, complementary WIFI, nice restaurant with excellent quality food
Although a bit expensive , I can recommend this hotel for everyone. It is a pitty that breakfast isn't included in the price

Traffic towards airport in the morning is quit intense, it takes up to 1.5 h to get there

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I am glad that you had a very pleasant stay. Thanks you for all the positive comments. I have noted your comment about the airport transfer rates, it is in par or slightly above the normal taxi fares (taxis would cost you anywhere between Tshs 40,000 - Tshs 50,000). Our STAFF wages are above industry averages and drivers are also paid special allowance for each airport transfer. I am a bit surprised to hear that the breakfast was not included in the price. I am not sure where the miscommunication was, but kindly be informed that our rates are on bed and breakfast basis. I am extremely sorry about the inconvenience caused and would be glad to compensate accordingly on your next visit.

We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar
gm@protedar.com
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

The service I got from the staff, including management, was excellent. However, you need to improve on the following:
1. Food- need more variety
2. Gym- need more space, equipment & @ least a scale
3. Wi-fi- kept on cutting-off
4. PABX- outdated- need more modern one

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Servvie

Good day, Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review your experience again. We really appreciate your feedback and promise to work on areas which need improvements. I will pass your compliments to the TEAM and thank them for their great job.

We did add two extra routers to strengthen the signals, will check with the technicians again to see what can be done to rectify the issues with WiFi. Apart from the ala carte menu, we also offer a weekly chef's special menu which is changed every week. We will have a look at the menus and tweak where necessary. We had plans of moving the gym to the new block which is to be constructed next year, but meanwhile we will endeavor to add a couple more machines. I will chat with the front office and figure out the problems you faced in relation to the PABX and rectify the issues. We look forward to host you again soon. We wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Protea Hotels - Tanzania
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I returned to this hotel after 5 years and I was so surprised to see the great renovations and even more the little thoughtful things. Lovely place to be after a long business day and great value for money.
It is difficult to pin down what I liked the most, from the bowl of fruits when I arrived (and the wine, though I do not drink), to the little nice sweets when they turned down the bed, to the box of tea and bag of Kenyan coffee when I left.
I loved the pool and the relaxing area outside the restaurant with the comfortable chairs, hubbly bubblies, nice dimmed lighting and the music the guy was singing. His singing and playing was really soulful and added to the atmosphere.
Will certainly be back.

Room Tip: They have everything from single room and 1 or 2 bedroom apartments with a little lounge, kitchen fu...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear MarlaMendes

Good day, jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you for staying with us after 5 long years. I am delighted to hear that you appreciated the renovations and upgrades that have been done, as well as the little extras which made a lot of difference. I have shared your feedback with our TEAM and they were happy to learn that you appreciated their effort. We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

The reception I received was very warm. The staff is friendly and go the extra mile to exceed customer's expectation. The management knows how to deal with problems. I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues!

Room Tip: Choose room with good Wi-Fi reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Servvie

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I will share your feedback with the TEAM and thank them for their great job. I have noted your comment about the WiFi, we have added a couple of extra points where the signal was a bit weak, hopefully you wont have any problem in the future.

We look forward to host you again.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam
Aberdeen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed in room 30 which had its own living room and litchen area.The rooms were large and well equiped with flat screen TV ,DVD player,microwave ,fridge and cooker.It was very clean .The only bad thing being that everything was rather dated .The bathroom however was bright and spacious with a good powerful shower.The double bed was comfortable .
Despite backing on to a road the room was quite .
The wireless internet connection was a good surprise as for some reason I had expected it to be slow but it was more than adequate for my purposes.The resteraunt and bar served good food at good prices and the staff were always very friendly and helpful.
I had a beer in the bar one night and the barman came and gave me a free bowl of hot roasted peanuts -nice touch
On my first night the AC unit in the living roomwas not working properly but I was too tired to speak to reception .I did so in the morning and it was duly fixed before my arrival back in the early evening.The reception staff always greeted you with a smile and aknowleged you by you name .Another nice touch .Overall I found my stay at the hotel very pleasant and would say in all fairness the staff do their utmost to make it so .well done

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you so much for staying with us and writing this great review. I am extremely glad that you found us of great value and the STAFF took good care of you. I am sorry to hear that you found some of the stuff in the room a bit dated . Please let me know more about this? The rooms and bathrooms have been completely renovated, so I would really appreciate any feedback you may be able to give us to improve the standards further .

We look forward to host you again soon.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam