“Excellent Service”

Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Pretoria, South Africa
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The reception I received was very warm. The staff is friendly and go the extra mile to exceed customer's expectation. The management knows how to deal with problems. I would definitely recommend the hotel to friends and colleagues!

Room Tip: Choose room with good Wi-Fi reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Servvie

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. I will share your feedback with the TEAM and thank them for their great job. I have noted your comment about the WiFi, we have added a couple of extra points where the signal was a bit weak, hopefully you wont have any problem in the future.

We look forward to host you again.

gm@proteadar.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
Aberdeen
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed in room 30 which had its own living room and litchen area.The rooms were large and well equiped with flat screen TV ,DVD player,microwave ,fridge and cooker.It was very clean .The only bad thing being that everything was rather dated .The bathroom however was bright and spacious with a good powerful shower.The double bed was comfortable .
Despite backing on to a road the room was quite .
The wireless internet connection was a good surprise as for some reason I had expected it to be slow but it was more than adequate for my purposes.The resteraunt and bar served good food at good prices and the staff were always very friendly and helpful.
I had a beer in the bar one night and the barman came and gave me a free bowl of hot roasted peanuts -nice touch
On my first night the AC unit in the living roomwas not working properly but I was too tired to speak to reception .I did so in the morning and it was duly fixed before my arrival back in the early evening.The reception staff always greeted you with a smile and aknowleged you by you name .Another nice touch .Overall I found my stay at the hotel very pleasant and would say in all fairness the staff do their utmost to make it so .well done

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear GUEST

Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you so much for staying with us and writing this great review. I am extremely glad that you found us of great value and the STAFF took good care of you. I am sorry to hear that you found some of the stuff in the room a bit dated . Please let me know more about this? The rooms and bathrooms have been completely renovated, so I would really appreciate any feedback you may be able to give us to improve the standards further .

We look forward to host you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were staying one night in Dar Es Salaam and the price was good so we booked this place.
When we arrived, I thought the hotel looked more like a motel from the outside.
We stayed in room 14 with a kitchenette; the room itself was clean and quiet despite the fact that the window faced the big road directly. We took a nice, long shower and noticed that the water leaked from the shower all the way to the kitchen so I cleaned it up with the bath mat. (Please have someone take a look and repair!!!)
I read that there was a swimming pool and it was a hot day so we went over to take a dip. It was late in the afternoon and the pool didn't look very clean (flower petals, insects, etc. floating around) so we hung out on the sunbeds. So far our experience was so-so, and we weren't sure about dining at the hotel restaurant so we went downstairs to the reception for some advice.
The ladies at the reception desk, Deborah and Mima (I hope I spelled your name correctly) certainly made up and some! They were simply wonderful!
First of all, my husband found out he would have to stay another night in Dar and we asked if there was any room available for another night. There were no rooms at Oysterbay location so they reached out to Protea Courtyard location right away and personally arranged a room for one more night with a great rate.
For dinner they recommended a few wonderful places in the area and explained about each & every place in detail. One of them was Cape Town Fish Market and we had an amazing experience.
We didn't have a car so they also arranged a taxi for us and called a wonderful gentleman by the name of Mussa. Mr.Mussa drove us to dinner and personally walked us over to Cape Town Fish Market, and offered to drive us elsewhere in case we didn't think the place was right for us without charging us extra!! We loved him so much that he ended up taking us to the other hotel and the airport the following day.
The breakfast was included in the hotel; the service provided by the staff was really excellent but I couldn't say the same for the food. The hot food looked and tasted sad, so we had some fresh fruits and yogurt in the end.
When we were checking out, Deborah and Mima inquired us about our evening and assured us that they would be ready for us at the other Protea hotel.
Overall our actual experience at the hotel would be rated as average but the ladies at the reception desk provided an exceptional service, and made our short stay a positive and memorable one. Thank you ladies once again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Yu M

Good day, thank you for staying with us in both the hotels and taking time to write this review. Thank you very much for the constructive feedback, we will work on these. I am really glad that the TEAM, especially, Deborah and Neema looked after you well. I will meet them today and will thank them for the excellent job. We look forward to host you again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 17, 2013

A well managed property. The hotel offered very pleasant stay. I stayed in a room attached with kitchen and found it very comfortable to prepare my own food. Internet connection was okay. Other facilities like gym, swimming pool were available as usual. I would recommend it for business trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to share your experience here online. I am extremely glad that you had a fantastic time with us. I will share your feedback with the TEAM. We look forward to host you again soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 6 months at this protea hotel from March to August 2013 and was overall very impressed. Bar a few issues I was impressed by the level of service I received as well as the cleanliness of the room and facilities. The restaurant and cleaning staff were amazing, but my few issues came from the front desk...they need a firm boss. You can definitely see the effort that management is putting into the place. I'd recommend this hotel for any business trip.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear John_Golding

Good day, jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. 6 months is a long time, and i am really glad that we managed to offer you a very satisfactory stay bar a few minor issues. I have duly noted your comment about the front office, we have undertaken a few trainings and appointed a front office manager. I am sure that these efforts are going to make a difference. We look forward to host you again soon.

Group general Manager
gm@protadar.com
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Decent Hotel located about 30 minutes from airport. WIFI extremely slow, and the room i stayed in had a huge hole in the door. Decent restaurant which serves good food throughout the day. Overall, for a business trip, quite decent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear GUEST

Good day, thank you for staying with us and posting this candid review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay - minus the internet and door issues. Our service provider faced a major problem for a couple of days which affected the speed, but this has been fixed and I hope to be able to provide faster, reliable internet on your next visit. I apologise regarding the door, this was an oversight from the maintenance/house keeping departments as the room was cleared to be sold before the work was completed. Kindly contact me on your next visit, I will ensure that you have an enjoyable stay.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for 2 a long while a couple of months ago, the overall experience was ok. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly but the food was not really inspiring. The rooms were average but clean. Loved the pool, but the gym needs work, its in a small stuffy room and the air conditioner was not working for a while. All in all it was an ok experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Tara S

Good day, thank you for staying with us and taking time to review the property. Ever since your last stay we have appointed a new Executive chef and a few other senior chefs. The menu has also been changed and we have introduced weekly menus. Our GUESTS have reviewed that the food quality is exceptional now. I acknowledge your comment about the gym. As you probably know the renovation of rooms are completed now and we have started with the public areas. New gym equipments have been ordered and we are positive to have brand new equipments in place by end of September. The existing gym will be shifted next year to the new block which will be constructed.

We hope that, with these upgrades in place, your next experience with us will change to excellent from a mere OK. Thank you once again for the comments. We look forward to host you again.