“Apartment Living”

Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Oyster Bay is miles from the airport if you are in a hurry, so just be warned. But the accommodation is great. The apartment style rooms have a self catering section which is great if you have had enough of eating out. The restaurant is small and cosy, with a good menu selection. The service is reasonable and the pricing not too OTT. The pool and gym are easily accessible and it is a short cab ride into either town or the shopping centres.

Air-con in the suites with a separate lounge, Tv with about 20 channels, kitchenette and bathroom with a shower. More expensive than some of the other hotels, but this is worth the peace and quiet, and if like me you are on business, there are no power cuts. The hotel has its own Generator so the AC keeps me cool all night.

Room Tip: The upstair loft rooms are recommended
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thanks a lot for staying with us and reviewing your experience. I will share the same with our TEAM, we look forward to host you again.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

apartment v clean and comfy. plenty of clean towels. good aircon. food excellent and service good. can change money but only dollars, not sterling. everything quoted in tanz shillings then charged in dollars which was a bit confusing when it came to checking the bill. down side - pool out of action, which was extremely disappointing to me even tho a business not a pleasure trip. it was so hot i had really been looking forward to a swim. and the safe in my room did not work - i mentioned it to reception, was told it had been fixed and it had not. my colleague did nto have a safe at all. very impressed by speedy feedback from the managment to my comments. i would stay again - with a bit of effort this could be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review. Your kind and motivating words are much appreciated. I am extremely sorry abt both the pool and the safe. We had to drain the pool, re-do the entire grouting and refill the pool for it to be usable, which took more time than anticipated. The new safes are expected to be in the rooms by second week of March. We look forward to host you again and offer you a 100% satisfactory stay on your next visit.

yours truly,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at Protea Hotel Oysterbay Dar Es Salaam last December for a week. Hotel was clean, comfortable and rooms were specious but supplies in the room were not good. Door key was not working most of the time and I had to complain at the reception repeatedly. If you are going to stay here, make sure you bring your soap, shampoo and other toiletries with you - they will provide poor quality stuffs. Also if you are staying long, you need to bring your own towel and flip-flops. Towels are quite old and they don't supply flip-flops. Also the free internet was not reliable at all and the speed was not good. I would say hotel people are trying to improve but still there are many scopes unnoticed. The restaurant and its service was not satisfactory which affected my stay to some extent - restaurant staffs were like just doing their duties, not very friendly. Breakfast menu was not satisfactory considering amount of money I was paying. One of my colleagues has been given a room which was stinking and suffocated and the hotel couldn't change her room because it was full - which is not ideal for any traveller. You don't know whether you are going to a full or an empty hotel. May be I'll try this if I don't get other hotels.

Room Tip: If you are booking this hotel, double check they are providing you a room of your choice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay, Dar es Salaam. Extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your last stay with us.

I note that you appreciated the fact that the hotel was clean, spacious and comfortable but a few issues spoiled your overall experience.

I have taken note of all your comments and promise to work on improvements. As you rightly said we have been making quite a lot of improvements and changes. We have also appointed some new STAFF members and supervisors who will address the need for changes in these areas.

Please do get in touch with me and I will personally ensure that you leave with a different opinion after your next stay.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at Protea Hotel Oysterbay for more than two weeks in each of 2010, 2011 and 2012. As a member of a Canadian charity team working in Tanzania, I was looking for comfortable, clean, air-conditioned accommodation, a good restaurant, internet service, and good value for money. The Protea delivers on all counts; it met or exceeded my expectations. All staff and management at the Protea are courteous, helpful and professional. Our team leaves the hotel early morning, and the restaurant staff meet our needs by opening early. The breakfast brunch is excellent, and the pool and relaxing environment make for a refreshing break when we finish our work. Dinners in the restaurant are also very good. The facility is gated, with 24-hour security.

The Protea Oysterbay is conveniently located close to Slipway which has money change, eating and shopping services right by the ocean. One final note. In 2012, the Protea was working on upgrading several rooms. It is a good sign to see an establishment investing in itself, and working to make a good thing even better. I will be returning to the Protea Hotel Oysterbay with our team again in 2013.

Room Tip: The building is a rectangle, with rooms on two levels. There are studio, one, two and three bedroom...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Edward

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. It has been a privilege to host you and your group with us on your visits to Tanzania. Thanks a lot for taking time to share your candid experience with the travel community. I am extremely glad to hear that our TEAM delivered what we promise and what International travellers like you expect from us. I will share your feedback with our TEAM, this will keep them motivated to deliver nothing but great service to all our GUESTS.

The renovation process is now complete, but the upgrading and improvements will continue and it is an ongoing process.

We look forward to host you again soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

They need to shape up and upgrade, nothing like any of the Protea Hotel's we have stayed in South Africa and Kampala Uganda! They allow non-residence of the Hotel to use the pool!? We felt cramped in,they can take the fence off by the pool! Make a nice bar area! Loved the idea of the rooms, but the kitchen is too old! Checking in and out was very painful!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Bruce W

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write your candid review. I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not find us to be of good value for money.

The hotel, as you might have probably noticed, is being refurbished. We are in the last phase of this programme with only 8 more rooms to go. You may have been given one of the rooms which is yet to be refurbished, but as you pointed out while the rooms are good, kitchens do look a bit tired in these rooms. But these rooms are being released next week after refurbishment and will feature brand new kitchenettes and bathrooms among other upgraded facilities.

I have duly noted your comment about non-hotel residents being allowed to use the pool which is not our usual policy. I will definitely check with the TEAM and find out more about it. We will ensure that this is strictly followed to avoid inconvenience to the hotel GUESTS.

The wooden fencing is in place to offer privacy and security to the hotel residents. They restrict free movements into rooms from the restaurant since the restaurant is frequented also by non - hotel residents. We also offer a fairly large outdoor seating outside the restaurant and around the pool area, which is the Asylum sheesha and lounge bar.

I am not sure what was wrong in terms of your check in and check out, I will be grateful if you can kindly shed more light into this. My email address is gm@proteadar.com

I will have a meeting with our TEAM and go through the issues you have raised and ensure they are addressed immediately. I promise you a 100% satisfactory stay on your next visit.

We look forward to welcome you back again soon, I remain,

Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a very good choice for long stay. The 2 level hotel is consisting of only studios, lofts, 1, 2 or 3 Bedrooms. It more of a living compound with serviced apartments. I can say it is a very clean & the staff is Friendly.
The breakfast is very nice with a wide variety but tend to be repetitive may be because I am staying long. They got a small swimming pool & a gym which is a plus.
Dinner in the restaurant is of a good quality, the main dishes are very tasty with a wide variety at a very reasonable price that vary from 10-20 USD.
Most probably that will be my resort in my repetitive travels to DAR Es Salaam.
One last thing, for long stays when you book for a month they grant a very good discounted rate compared to the daily rate.

Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write your candid review. I am delighted to learn that you had a very satisfactory and comfortable stay with us. We look forward to welcome you back again soon, I remain,

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I lodged in this hotel in October 2012, with my business partners for a period of about 5 days. The breakfast was quite rich and well played out too. The staff in the restaurant were quite friendly, o was the senior management of the hotel, but the manager of this particular branch seems to me very steroetyped.

He seems to lack initiative and certainly not very exposed, does not seem to have much experience in dealing with international travellers from different parts of the world. He seems timid and can a bit frustrating to talk to and explain issues to. He strikes me as someone who does not want to learn, unless it comes from his bosses ( whom he fears and revers).

The gym is filled with very old equipment and very untractive to use. The swimming pool is quite nice, but not kept quite as lean as should be. There is no one in charge of guests who want to swim and they expect guests o come to the pool with the towels from their rooms. There is no changing room for the pool and I had to change in the toilet, which was smelling at that point in time.

My room, which was a single room suite, was extremely nice, it was on two levels, with the bedroom on the upper level and the living room, little kitchenet, dining table and shower on the lower level. The shower was quite nice, but needed a bit more water pressure. The entire premises is very serene, quiet, lots of green area and generally very nice and clean too.

Overall, I think the price for this facility is bit on the high side for the overall experience. I strongly recommend that the manager should be changed to a more market facing personality, facilities like the gym nd swimming pool upgraded, ad the price reduced by 25% to match value for money in the international hotel market.

Mgbarasa.

Room Tip: The rooms I saw were all nice, except that you may choose a room with a view of the main road behind...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mgbarasa o
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Dear Mgbarasa

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Oysterbay. Thanks a lot for staying with us and your positive reviews about the rooms, setting, staff, breakfast and the premises.

As you probably might have noticed the hotel is going through a complete revamp, majority of the rooms have been done up with just 9 more to go as we speak. I apologise for not being able to offer you a better gym and facilities. As soon the works in rooms are finished, we will start with the public areas which includes gym, pool area, restaurant and kitchen. The existing gym is going to be completely revamped and will offer space twice as big and will feature state of the art equipments ( in line with the ones you saw in Protea Hotel Courtyard and appreciated). I assure you that we will look into your comments about pool towels and bathrooms immediately and do the needful. We

I am extremely sorry that the hotel manager could not impress you and offer the assistances you required. He is a great guy and has managed to bring in quite some positive changes to the hotel. he has also been handling all the renovation work along with the day to day tasks. I am not sure what went wrong during your stay. I will definitely have a chat with him and rest assured, will do everything to instil more confidence and assist him in being a bit more approachable & market oriented. We have an open door policy across our organisation, in all the hotels making STAFF comfortable enough to approach anyone, any time with their concerns, suggestions and feedback. This is reflected in the STAFF friendliness & efficiency that you witnessed in both our hotels.

Thanks once again for the detailed review, offering both positive comments and constructive criticisms. We look forward to host you again and offer you a better experience overall.

group General Manager