“Worst Hotel in Dar es salaam”

Best Western Coral Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Worst Hotel in Dar es salaam”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Without doubt the worst hotel in Dar es salaam I have ever stayed in. My visit was for business perposes and the hotel was booked by my employer.
On my first visit a found cockroches in the room, I was moved to another room which the bath room had limescale around, the chair in the balcony was very dirty, the water presurre was on and off, the telephone from the rooms do not work. Despite requesting wake up calls at the same time for every day I only received on the first day. The phone by the bed never worked so to answer the wake up call I had to jump from the bed to reach the phone !

However without doubt the worst experience came when I chose to eat in the restaurant. I ordered steak and chips. The sauce came seperately in a dish and was cold and stodgy like it had come straight from the fridge. I asked for it to be heated up but the waitress returned and said that it was meant to be like that. Despite requesting again, she refused to ask the kitchen to heat it up. I continued eating my meal ignoring the sauce but then heard a male staff (indian manager) voice saying' he does not know what he is talking about, he is just being difficult, typical forreners.

Should anyone ever be unfortunate enough to have to stay here, please expect broken phones by the bed, mimibars in the rooms which aren't on, forgotten wake up calls, cereal to run out at breakfast, TV's that aren't programmed correctly with 4 good channels only, rest of haisy so that you are unable watch, french wooden doors that fall in on you, AC that leaks. Lastly the staff provided you ask a basic question are competent but otherwise totally inept. When I meet the Manager, who was very nice from India, he mentioned the dificulties and I was shocked that he did not take any responsibility and blamed it to the owner unwillingness to spend money on maintanance and the issue he was having with the local staffs

Please donot be fooled into thinking this is one off, You can honestly get much better service and quality of room at Seacliff or Hilton Double Tree, I will not be going back and my company is now striking this hotel of its preferred panel.

Stay away....honestly it's truly awful!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Kbowles
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
We are thankful to you for staying at Coral Beach Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam.

We are greatly disappointed to hear such negative feedback as we have just done a lot of renovation and our new wing has started operations recently. The reference to staff behaviour comes as furthur disappointment as we are one of the few hotels in the city who give a lot of emphasis to staff training.

We would have definitely put our best efforts to resolve the problems if they were brought to our notice.We would kindly ask you to get in touch with us to discuss this matter in more detail.

Once again please allow me to thank you for this very helpful feedback and I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel sometime in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 31, 2010

First visit to Tanzania on business and stayed at the Coral Beach Hotel in Dar at recommendation of a local client for a week. Although I was working primarily in the city center, I found the hotel to be a great escape from the hustle and congestion of down town Dar Es Salaam. I was pleasantly surprised by my room which was extra spacious and had european finishes in the bathroom. I highly would recommend a sea view room on the top floor, which has fantastic views of the peninsula and yacht club. Food and service was good. I found the hotel a little quiet during the weekend, but the front desk recommended a visit to the Slipway - a nearby shopping and dining district with plenty of activity. Also managed to use the Slipway as a departure point for a day visit to the Bongoyo Island for some beach time. Overall were pleased with Coral Beach and look forward to a future stay during my next visit.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
CoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2010

Such positive reviews encourage us to set higher standards of hospitality for our patrons and motivates us to go that extra mile to satisfy ouy esteemed guests.

We were delighted to read your acknowledgment on our code of practice which is designed to ensure the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness in our rooms.

I sincerely hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel in the near future.

Regards,
Santosh Kumar
Denmark
Reviewed May 21, 2010

This hotel has a lot of potential of being a success. The surroundings and the setting are nice; however it fails awfully when it comes to a professional service and going the extra mile to make the stay comfortable for guests. Right now It is not value for money.

During my stay I experienced a lot of noice due to construction work at almost all hours of the day. The breakfast is terrible and the staff slow. Don't expect to get what you ask for if you order eggs and check the quality of the meat! You won't be tempted to enjoy a pastry because it is dull and looks like it was baked last week. The fresh fruit is stored much too cool and therefore destroyed.

There is a gym at the hotel - in the basement! The trade mill and crosstrainer is new and fine but that's about it. The rest of the machines are old and few. No machines for the leg or stomach even though the hotel tries to attract outside guests and charges a high fee from them. They keep promising that things will change but it takes for ever. There is one mat but sometimes its used by a massage girl, who is massaging people on the floor of a corner of the gym. It is not exactly nice to work out with almost naked people lying on the floor and also the oil stinks. Apparently the plan is to move the gym to another location but it no excuse for not improving it now. It could be done with a very few means. The gym also needs to be cleaned daily. Both the machines and the floor.

There is no chance of buying anything at the hotel. Not even telephone vouchers so if you run out of voucher after dark, you need a taxi to go buy it. At day time, the receptionist offered to find a person to go buy a voucher for me but for a high tip. Also, the business center is not working.

The rooms are very nice in the new wing. Avoid the rooms in the old wing - they smell.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
HasnainAlloo, E-Commerce at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying at Coral Beach Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam,

Feedback such as this is essential to ensure we constantly monitor our standards. Naturally I was somewhat disappointed to hear the issues highlighted in your feedback as we regularly deal successfully with all our customers and pride ourselves for the service delivery Coral Beach Hotel is know for, I am however under the impression we had resolved these issue to your satisfaction at the time it was brought to our attention. I am sorry if this is not the case and would kindly ask you to get in touch with us to discuss this matter in more detail.

Ulvik in Hardanger
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Very helpful and good service. Rooms are good but some problems with leaking water, so some smell from that. (Only in some of the rooms)
Best hotel overall in Dar for me so far..

I could go there again..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Oslo
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We were warmly welcome and the room with the view was fantastic and above my expectations. I know the area well from many previous visits and the location was important to me as one of the best in Dar es Salaam.
Too me cleanliness and service are the most important issues, next location and view.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
HasnainAlloo, E-commerce at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2010

Such positive review is important for us which helps other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation when in Dar es salaam.

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel in the not too distance future.

Kind Regards, Hasnain N. Alloo
Surrey. UK
Reviewed February 24, 2010

Airport collection $25 each way, taxi is $10 We had to wait 3 hours for collection then offered inferior room and receptionist just laughted, thought it was funny, staff very poor no idea of service, Food better at The Slipway and far cheaper. Room was eventually very good.
Hotel is mainly for business and seminars not a tourist resort, no facilities available, no lounges nor any room brochure on hotel facilities.
Staff completely indeferent to tourists. Now has new manager so maybe in the future it may pick up, but is not a "Boutique Hotel" currently.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DescerningTraveller
HasnainAlloo, E-Commerce at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Coral Beach Hotel on your recent visit to Dar es Salaam. I very much appreciate the time you have taken to share your review online.

I was naturally disappointed to read the delay of your airport transfers and that the staff you encountered upon check in were not customer focused, it is most dissatisfying to hear as we generally have positive comments on the level of services we provide both pre and post arrival. Please be assured that your comments were shared in our management meeting and our newly appointed General Manager has spoken to his team to ensure such short coming in our service are not repeated in the future.

I would however like to clarify that our airport transfer charges from Dar es salaam international Airport is charge at $25.00 per trip for up to 2 guests, general taxi service are available at the Airport at a published rate and charged at a minimum of $30 to $35 per trip.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback in our food services and quality of food we provide which is indeed at a very competitive rate and hope that the negative experience you encountered during your arrival has not mare your overall perception of Coral Beach Hotel which strives in providing 100% guest satisfaction.

I sincerely hope we have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel sometime in the future.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

This hotel is very nicely styled and the service is promt and proffesional. The rooms are also exquisitly styled and has a pleasing ambiance.
The views from most of the rooms are excellent easpecially those on the 3rd and 4th floors as they have a direct view over the yacht club and the horison where you can bear witness to breath taking sunsents. The pool is also very nice and affords you the same sunset views as well as the outside dining area.
Staff are also very profesional and never hesitate to see to your needs and requests.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
HasnainAlloo, E-commerce at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for staying at Coral Beach Hotel on your recent business trip to Dar es Salaam.

Such review is important for us which helps other travellers make an informed choice on their Accommodation when in Dar es Salaam.

I was glad that you managed getting our one off offer of ‘best available rate’ on single occupancy at $130.00 in our Standard Category excluding tax and service charges.

It was exuberantly thrilling to read how much you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging our product and prime location which indeed offers the most ravishing ocean sunsets which has been received very well with positive comments from our guests.

I will personally pass on your comments on our staff, as it is so much rewarding when staff efforts get acknowledge by our guests.

I sincerely hope with have an opportunity of welcoming you back to Coral Beach Hotel in the not too distance future.