“A relaxing experience”

Ranked #9 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Canberra, Australia
“A relaxing experience”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed here for two nights after a safari to the Serengeti. We did have a hiccup over the booking but that was soon sorted out. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and the terrace from our room. The room was clean and tidy with a reasonably priced mini bar. Staff were friendly and the meals and cocktails were very good. We especially enjoyed the meals on the terrace overlooking the ocean.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ladybug776
Formula10TZ, Group Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear sir or madam,
thank you very much for your feedback.
we appreciate that you enjoyed our hotel and the service - and off course our excellent food whilst overlooking the Indian Ocean.
Group Operations Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at Coral beach to treat ourselves after months of backpacking as it was my birthday. The room we got 3301 if am not wrong was great but the bathroom flooded when you used the shower. When i requested to get a different room I was told to hang on and reception never got back to me. Another time when I wasn by the pool and using the pool out of three friends sitting by the pool ( two white and myself black one of white not a resident of the hotel but having lunch with us ) an attendant came toe and asked me to prove myself as a guest and I had to get the nod from reception while my friends did not get asked a question. I felt slightly bigotry in this action. The garden was boarded up possibly stayed there during repairs. Couldnt use the beach fpr swimming at all. All in all it was pretty much average and the waiting staff need proper training. For $223 a night I was disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Eoghan W
Formula10TZ, Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2014
Dear Sir or Madam,
thank you very much for your detailed feedback which I appreciate.
Our Pool is indeed reserved for Hotel Guest only - no NON in-house guest are permitted. We have however taking the initiative to order special signage so that no confusion will arise any longer.
Operations Director
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 16, 2014

A friend had recommended this place for its grounds and its view of the ocean with the boats from the yacht club nearby. I was not disappointed. The hotel has some of the best-kept grounds I have seen anywhere and it is uniquely picturesque.

I came into the restaurant with the view of having a late lunch. I ordered my first drink, a Coke Light and then my second, a Safari Water, and this is where my problems began. The water tasted heavily of chlorine, which it should not do. I suspect this was a bottling issue, but I wanted the water changed. The waitress came back to say that the bar attendant thought the water was fine. She called a floor manager who repeated the same thing to me, adding 'that is what sparkling water should taste like'. I was mortified: firstly at the implication that my palate was so uncouth and undeveloped that I had no idea what sparkling water should taste like (from my understanding, the process is carbonation, not chlorination!) and that she felt that this was something acceptable to say to a paying customer and to quibble with me. Right there and then, I decided that I would not be handing over any more of my money to an establishment whose staff think it's okay to be so patronising and to make light of a customer's concerns. It spoilt what had started off a wonderful afternoon for me.

Room Tip: Didn't stay
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Eleanor_Madziva
Formula10TZ, Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Madam,
we investigated this apparent incident and in fact came to a different conclusion which would not be appropriate for me to highlight here.
Yours truly
Operations Director
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 10, 2014

This review is delayed by a good 08 months so my apologies for the same.

I have visited this hotel in December 2013 for my honeymoon and I must say that my wife and I were not left disappointed. Everything was flawless from the initial booking experience till the last day of our stay there. Since I am from India and booked directly with the hotel, I must appreciate Ms. Veronica Phiri from the Reservations Team who was always kind enough to extend all courtesies and assist in every possible way to make the entire booking process smooth. She was even happy to assist us with our overnight stay and tour at Mikumi Wildlife Park which was an unforgettable and fantastic experience!

We stayed in the Standard Room at Best Western and I must say that the first thing to really take our fancy was the wonderful view of the bay. It was very scenic especially in the day light. The hotel offers free Wi-Fi with good connectivity. We always enjoyed our breakfast at the Marjani Cafe which had a decent breakfast layout. But the best meals and ambiance that we really used to look forward to were our dinners at the Ngalawa Restaurant which is open air and located at the boundary of the bay. The view is amazing while dining here.

The hotel over all is very nice and clean and reasonably priced in terms of accommodation and dining. Staff is very friendly and always eager to help. I would definitely stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: Request for the higher floors which will enhance the other fantastic view from the rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Garfield S
Formula10TZ, Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Sir,
thank you very much for your detailed feedback. I am very pleased to hear that Veronica - as she always does - went above the call of duty to assist you and your wife.
Indeed, our Restaurants - especially Ngalawa Seafront Restaurant - offers a dining experience not to be missed.
we are very happy that you enjoyed your honeymoon stay with us and look forward welcoming you back.
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Having just completed 2 weeks teaching in rural schools in Morogoro District, my stay (the third in years) at this gorgeous hotel was a delight. As a vegetarian it can be tricky in Tanzania to find good options, but Restaurant Manager Smitesh and Chef Ehsan were brilliant and let me customise my own dishes!

It was very quiet and I slept brilliantly and the 2 local shopping malls were easy to access on foot. You must also try and get to Africraft a local recycling centre, which could teach the UK a thing or two!

Room Tip: Ask for 2105 or 6!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sally M
Formula10TZ, Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear sally,
thank you very much for your feedback. Our Food and Beverage Team was very happy to assist you in creating your own vegetarian meal - we love to cater for our guest in whichever way possible.
we look forward welcoming you and many more vegetarian customers to our Ngalawa Seafront Restaurant.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent our last three nights in Tanzania here and it was a perfect end. The twin room was large,clean and comfortable with balcony overlooking the pool. The meals were good,eaten overlooking the sea and served by friendly English speaking staff. Though sometimes things got lost in translation! However I speak no Swahili so no complaints. The warm shower was welcome after the cold of the last 2 weeks and the TV got us up to date on news and sport, I even managed to sleep through the World Cup final.
Everything was clean and modern and the only small comment was the grouting in the bathroom needed attention but that is picky!! The pool area and restaurant and bar were clean, well serviced and well staffed with a barman who was friendly and pleasant and could mix any cocktail!
My son will stay on his way home too as he has stayed in many in Dar and was impressed when visiting.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Formula10TZ, Group Operations Director at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Sir and Madam,
thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your feedback and look forward welcoming you and your son back.
Warm regards
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed July 1, 2014

There are only two things great about this hotel, that is the amazing location and view of the oyster bay and the facts that it is slightly cheaper than other hotels. On the other hand, the rooms are awful with rust on most metal surfaces, the TVs in the rooms are tiny and channels limited, the service is okay but the food selection is the worst thing about it.

I visited in July 2014

Room Tip: rooms in the upper floors offer a good view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Joshu07
Formula10TZ, Group General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Sir,
Greetings to Nairobi. Thank you very much for your comments.
I have duly noted your feedback and am sorry that obviously we have not met your standards as far as our hotel or our food is concerned because it appears that you as a young Gentleman from Kenya appear to have such sophisticated palate that is beyond our reach and knowledge; even thou as the General Manager I have over 20 years of experience in this Industry within the 4- and 5-star Hotel environment.. It is also interesting that many Ambassadors enjoy our food and hotel at large. Again, thank you for your interesting comment.
Yours truly