“Amazing stay”

Best Western Coral Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 96 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stay was wonderful, I stayed in the room number 3109, view from this room was awesome. Its like I am staying on some kind of island, swiming pool in the hotel was awesome and it is big in size, its grt man even front dest people done a tremendous job upon arrival and through out my stay. It was my first visit but whenever I have to in dar se salam I will always prefer to stay in this hotel. Thanks once again to the hotel team for making my stay remember.

• Stayed: October 2013
BWCoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Sir,
thank you for your valuable feedback. It is always encouraging to read from our guest how much they enjoyed staying withy us as we surely do our best to provide high customer satisfaction and always look for ways to give our guest a warm welcome.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Coral Beach Hotel

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My friend and I spent two nights before flying back home after our Tanzania trip. This was supposed to be relaxing two days in a good quality, comfortable hotel. And it was... with one exception.
Let's start with the positives - very nice room, clean, spacious, modern, comfortable bed, a very nice and comfortable place to spend two lazy days and nights. Room service nice and efficient. Bar and restaurant - no thrills but very decent food, we were satisfied with the quality of breakfast / lunch and dinner. Also the quality of service was very good, the staff was really nice and attentive.
But one thing we found totally unacceptable. At the check out, when it came to paying the bill, it turned out that 4 out of 6 bills from restaurant, bar, etc on the summary were not ok. Mini bar usage summary was showing items we have not consumed, one restaurant bill was fake (we never consumed things listed there and never signed the bill) and two other bills were "rounded up" (quite significantly). We ended up having at least 20 minutes long discussion trying to explain this. In the end we paid only for what we have actually used and consumed, but the bitterness that you can not trust what you are charged in a (presumably) good hotel is left.

Therefore, even though in all other aspects I would assess hotel as very good or excellent, I give an overall mark of average and average / poor marks in Value and Service quality. If the case we had was due to mistake - then the staff definitely needs more training. If it was deliberate... well... then no further comments needed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joanna B
BWCoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,

thank you very much for your detailed feedback. A open feedback enables me to ensure that we achieve high customer satisfaction.

I personally investigated all points mentioned by you and indeed found mistakes done by one of our team members.
I am however pleased to state that on your checkout fortunately our Rooms Division Manager was personally dealing with you and already rectified the discrepancy for which we sincerely apologize.
I can assure you that the issue has been dealt with in a diligent manor and the staff members in question who were responsible for the errors have undergone a appropriate counseling.

I look forward welcoming you back on your next trip to Tanzania.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I had a good room, sea view above the pool and restaurant. Good internet (free) for Africa. Clean, reasonably modern bathroom although the shower was in the bath which I don't especially like. It leaked on the floor. Bed comfy, pillows good. Air-con worked well. If there is a downside the restaurant was nothing to write home about. Go out in the evening to eat is my recommendation. Breakfast could be more extensive in choice. If they had a good restaurant it would immediately upgrade to 4 stars. Check out was reasonable although like most hotels in Africa it took ages to get the credit card authorised. It's a trust thing I guess. And I was checking out at 3.30 a.m. for an early flight so I had the luxury of no one else checking out at the same time. If you were in a rush you'd be champing at the bit. Pay by cash might be easier although African Hotels really must start to get their Visa/Mastercard protocols faster.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
BWCoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Sir,
thank you very much for your valuable feedback. Our detailed check out procedure is to safeguard both, you as our valuable guest as well as the hotel.
As with any Restaurant, it is a very personal choice. We have many positive comments. I therefore would have to assume that our offer did not attract your taste buds so to speak but fortunately, many other guest are of a very different opinion and are in fact rating our Restaurant which has a good choice quality fresh seafood, meats, curry's and local dishes to offer.
Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent just one night in between flight.
It takes about an hour from the airport but the location is beautiful, on the beach and with a nice view. The rooms are really beautiful and clean.
There's a nice pool and a good restaurant.
The staff is friendly and helpful, and they gave us a late check-out till 2.30pm at no cost.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sir or Madam,
thank you fore your valuable feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure giving you a late check out without any extra charge which we gladly do if possible.
We look forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Downtown Dar Es Salaam is loud and busy. When I need to escape the intensity of Dar, Coral Beach is an ideal place. It's close to downtown Dar - about 15 minutes away. And the Slipway is within walking distance. Coral Beach has a beautiful view, and it's peaceful. The staff is incredibly friendly. Some even helped me with my Swahili. I've always had good luck with internet in my room. (The internet at the business center was slower.) The shower in my room is wonderful - two shower heads! Plus there was a deep tub for soaking. It doesn't get more luxurious than this at this price. I've stayed at Coral Beach 3 times now, and I've always had great experiences. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I request the room with the tub - and the higher up the better. These rooms have a great view, and i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Madam,
thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are looking forward welcoming you back soon for your 4th time.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel has an ideal location close to the water. Some driving into the city center but nothing that should scare you off. Nice small swimming pool with a limited amount of sunbeds. The property it selves aren’t particularly big so you know this place and it's comforts within short time. Nothing much to say about the room I’ve got. Nice and clean with functioning air condition. What more to require.
The seaside restaurant is very good. Nicely priced dishes served well prepared. The service there were also excellent.

The two downer's is firstly the internet connection. It's very slow and limited coverage. In these days hotels should understand this is perhaps the most important thing business customers react on and it’s so easy to do something with it. Especially in the DAR area.
Secondly the breakfast. Very limited choices of cold cuts. Actually non. One type of cheese were served and this was the kind were the slices are packed into plastic. Terrible.
Lot of hot local food but being European this thing are a little heavy for me early in the morning. The last day I stayed there I understood eggs were served on request. Fine but why make the guests aware of this then?

Otherwise this is a nice hotel with good service and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Sir or Madam,
thank you very much for your valuable feedback.
We had indeed a challenge with our Internet as one of the main part "blew" up so to say. Unfortunately we could not get it in Dar es Salaam - so as you say it is easy in Dar, it is in fact not quite that easy as many items are simply not available especially when a specific part breaks.
We however managed to get that part shipped from Dubai and it is all working fine.
Are we are in the process of upgrading our Breakfast offering, in future you will see a very different kind of choice. Many of our Guest however enjoy the hot food.
Again, thank you for your feedback

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Nice rooms. Nice bar and food. The service was good except for a few things.
I was here on a business trip and couldn’t get internet access in my room. Neither the WIFI nor the Ethernet plug worked. I did ask and a guy came up and basically agreed that I couldn’t get any internet. He also informed me that none of the ethernet cable work at all! This is quite annoying, as I had to basically sit in the lobby to work.
They have a guy Arthur who works here and, if you are English, will put on a stupid English accent the whole time he talks to you. Sounded more Australian and pi@@ed me off.
You also cant make calls outside of the hotel easily. To make a local call you have to phone down to reception and they call it, and ring you back o put you through!
And international calls are not possible at all. I am going to have a massive mobile bill when I get home.
We were in the newish wing with nice rooms with god views. The showers were bad going hot and old and changing in strength. It wasn’t too much of a bother though.
I wouldn’t return again. I found the lack of Internet very annoying.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
BWCoralBeach-Dar, General Manager at Best Western Coral Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Sir or Madam,
just before your arrival the main distribution switch which provides internet to all floors blew.

Unfortunately the part was not available here in Dar es Salaam and a complete new one was not available either as these are POE switches. We managed to buy one in Dubai and had it brought to us asap. Once the new item was installed, the internet challenge is resolved.

As for the Telephone calls, the Tanzania Telephone Corporation has not repaired the damaged telephone lines to the whole area. We are in constant touch with them but they are indeed taking their time - we apologize for any inconvenience but in todays world almost anybody uses Mobile Phones anyway.

I thank you for your valuable feedback.